Sox vs. A's 9/16 | 3:05, FOX

The Ginger Kid

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
Jim Thome isn't our best player this season.

Off season priority #1 (And the only offseason priority): Fix the pitching staff at any cost.

Off season priority 2: Dump Rob Mackowiak, so that Ozzie can never play him in CF again.

Jim Thome will be our best player going into next season. No way Dye is even close to having this type of year.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
Sox are in an odd spot. Kenny could go balls out, try to win this thing again next year and maybe in 08, then things could get really ugly in 09. Or, you could kinda downgrade next season, but trade a few guys that have alot of value(Contreras, maybe Mark, maybe Thome) and get some great young talent back, see what you have for 08.

I dont see Kenny doing the latter, but who knows.

Contreras, Garcia, Buerhle and Vazquez would definitely be on the block if I were GM. I think I would need to get the most for Buerhle. Vazquez could fetch a lot if people think he's really turned a corner. I still think he's a tease, because he can't give you 8 innings.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
Honestly...I think we'd have an even worse record with Frank on this team instead of Thome. We'd have a few more hits right now, but Thome carried us for the first 2 months of the season.

Thomas has carried Oakland for 3 months. Without Dye and Konerko in his line-up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 06:01 PM)
Contreras, Garcia, Buerhle and Vazquez would definitely be on the block if I were GM. I think I would need to get the most for Buerhle. Vazquez could fetch a lot if people think he's really turned a corner. I still think he's a tease, because he can't give you 8 innings.

I would trade Vazquez in a second. His monthly splits look like they did last year. Some good, some bad, average overall. He'll do the same next season.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Sox are in an odd spot. Kenny could go balls out, try to win this thing again next year and maybe in 08, then things could get really ugly in 09. Or, you could kinda downgrade next season, but trade a few guys that have alot of value(Contreras, maybe Mark, maybe Thome) and get some great young talent back, see what you have for 08.

Given that Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jermaine Dye, and Tad Iguchi are free agents at the end of 2007, and there's another large chunk at the end of 2008...I think KW will try to go for it all again next season, and I think it'll be the wrong move. I think you try to get younger next season. If that means Haeger and McCarthy both are in the starting rotation because we dealt 2 of those starters for good talent, and if that means Sweeney starts the season in LF and leading off, I could certainly live with that.

We need to get younger, especially in the starting 5. We can't spend $55 million on our starting pitching staff next season and then wind up having 2 of them walk at the end of the year as free agents.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)

I could appreciate the long-term value of trading several key components this offseason.

How I figure it, Minnesota and Detroit are superior teams with the possibility of sustaining success with young players and contributing minor league systems.

If accepting mediocrity next season means we'll be in a better position to compete 08' and beyond, I'm in favor of it.