Ozzie pencilling in Small Ball

DBAHO

In case you forgot what that was all about last season; :D

The White Sox' inability to manufacture runs at the top and bottom of the batting order continues to haunt manager Ozzie Guillen as he looks back on this season.

While the Sox have had no trouble with the long ball under Guillen's regime, at least when the home run wasn't there last season, they could beat teams in other ways.

The station-to-station, softball mentality of waiting for the home run was exactly what Guillen wanted to get away from after 2004, but somehow the Sox slipped back into that mode this season.

''Maybe I should have had more action on the bases because we didn't have enough action,'' Guillen said. ''Our situational hitting was horrible, but the thing is, we didn't put the hitting and pitching together when we needed it. Last year, we did.''

For that reason, Guillen already is putting a heavy emphasis on speed and small ball as he considers what types of players he wants to add this winter.

With Jermaine Dye, Jim Thome and Paul Konerko all expected back, power won't be a problem. The fact the Sox entered Thursday leading the American League with 121 solo home runs, however, has been a problem.

''We didn't get on base enough,'' Guillen said. ''The bottom of the lineup struggled all year. The numbers show up. Last year we hit home runs, and so did we this year, but last year we did the little things that we haven't done this year.''

DOUBLE DOWN: It would be easy to point the finger at third baseman Joe Crede and the five double-play balls he hit into in his previous four games, but all of the Sox players have been charitable when it comes to pleasing opposing pitchers.

Entering Thursday, the Sox had hit into 21 double plays over their last 16 games.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
I'd prefer Podsednik to Dave Roberts. Roberts is not a major league starter anymore IMO.

Don't tell that to him this year.. .295/.361/.400 or say, last year .275/.356/.428

That being said, I wouldn't want him either.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
Don't tell that to him this year.. .295/.361/.400 or say, last year .275/.356/.428

That being said, I wouldn't want him either.

I mean, if you want to weigh your leadoff responsibilities on a soon-to-be 35 year old who has averaged 82 games played over the last three seasons...

if roberts is the answer, i dont want to know the question!

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
35 year old lead off hitter is a no-no if you ask me. Theres gotta be someone better out there.

Juan Pierre. I don't see how you don't take a run at this guy... he started incredibly slow, but hit incredibly well over the last three months.

Plus, Ozzie has some history with him (not sexual!)

I want small ball back. Our team in 05 had a great mix....plenty of power and ability to move runners over, and manufacture runs. True, the pitching went into the tank this year, but we have to believe they rebound next year.

Jimmy Rollins and Michael Bourne from Philly would be a good start.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:09 AM)
I want small ball back. Our team in 05 had a great mix....plenty of power and ability to move runners over, and manufacture runs. True, the pitching went into the tank this year, but we have to believe they rebound next year.

Jimmy Rollins and Michael Bourne from Philly would be a good start.

The '05 team was hungry, the '06 team was not. Thats why we didn't produce like we did before.

Also, our "table setter" Scotty Dergan wasn't doing much of anything save for striking out looking a lot. I think Mr. Dergan needs a good kick in the ass or a kick out of town.

Edited by NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
The '05 team was hungry, the '06 team was not. Thats why we didn't produce like we did before.

Yea, I've heard that mentioned, but we didn't have the players to play small ball. Our lineup was either big boppers or guys who just didn't hit for crap (Pods, Uribe, Anderson).

I expect Anderson to be much better in his 2nd year and we need a SS and LF who can mix it up on the bases. I hate saying that because Pods and Uribe were so instrumental in the 2005 team. But Uribe is getting no better as a hitter, can't bunt, or run...Pods looked like death this year.

I'd like to get another 1 and 2 hitter and move Goochi down in the order.

I'd like to see a new SS with speed and OBP and at least decent D to leadoff. Then put Gload in LF and hitting #2 (Pods-like defense, but way better offense) until Owens or Sweeney are ready (which they are not).

Alternately, if Fields looks ready, bring him up for LF and to spell Crede at 3B.

Either way, we need that SS. Who is the best out there that we have a chance at getting?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
I'd like to see a new SS with speed and OBP and at least decent D to leadoff. Then put Gload in LF and hitting #2 (Pods-like defense, but way better offense) until Owens or Sweeney are ready (which they are not).

Alternately, if Fields looks ready, bring him up for LF and to spell Crede at 3B.

Either way, we need that SS. Who is the best out there that we have a chance at getting?

Jimmy Rollins I would say. Gives you that speed and has good underrated defense, but there's a slight question about his OBP.

Michael Young would be the best option, but he'll cost more than Rollins because his contract is a lot more friendly.

I wouldnt say motion on the bases etc was the problem. Just look to last night when we had a lead off double, and couldnt even get him to third. We need to play with the mentality that 1 run is all we need again. It places pressure on the other team, and gives our pitchers chances to throw more strikes.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
I wouldnt say motion on the bases etc was the problem. Just look to last night when we had a lead off double, and couldnt even get him to third. We need to play with the mentality that 1 run is all we need again. It places pressure on the other team, and gives our pitchers chances to throw more strikes.

Ergo, we need people who can bunt, who can hit the other way....too often big boppers do neither worth a damn.

I liked the Cardinals teams of the 1980s...they didn't have a ton of power, but had a couple guys in there that could go deep, a bunch of speed up top and great pitching....that sounds like the plan for me and is similiar to what the Sox did in 2005.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
You want an old man for a leadoff hitter lets go see what Rickey Henderson is up to these days.

:lol:

intresting fact, Rickey is only 3HR shy of the 300 300 club

Edited by beautox