Biggest HS Rivalry in Illinois History?

matt

wut do u think is the biggest hgh school rivalry in illinois? for me, without a doubt it is st. rita and mt. carmel. i dont think anything even come close to the intensity and excitement of that rivalry. no matter what the sport is, people fill the stands when those teams meet each other. even when people hear they are playing each other they always seem to at least consider going to watch them. btw, the football teams play in 2 weeks @ rita, anyone goin?

QUOTE(soxsr08 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 01:59 AM)
wut do u think is the biggest hgh school rivalry in illinois? for me, without a doubt it is st. rita and mt. carmel. i dont think anything even come close to the intensity and excitement of that rivalry. no matter what the sport is, people fill the stands when those teams meet each other. even when people hear they are playing each other they always seem to at least consider going to watch them. btw, the football teams play in 2 weeks @ rita, anyone goin?

I would agree with you, if only St. Rita were a little better at football. Mt. Carmel is a first tier program and St. Rita is a second tier program. This one certainly gets a whole lot of undue hype, considering MC almost always wins.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
I would agree with you, if only St. Rita were a little better at football. Mt. Carmel is a first tier program and St. Rita is a second tier program. This one certainly gets a whole lot of undue hype, considering MC almost always wins.

i would say both teams are first tier, both schools grab all the talent in the area, yes mount carmel is better, but the big difference between the 2 teams is the head coach.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Probably any game between the big name Catholic League teams(Rice, Rita, Mt. Carmel, Providence). It helps that they make up the best football conference in the state. You could also throw Marist in with those teams even though they really can't compete athletically.

I take nothing away from Mt. Carmel and Providence, but Brother Rice and St. Rita are two of the most overrated programs in the state. Niether of these schools ever compete for a state title.....its time to down grade their status.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)

I was close to criticizing you, until I actually researched St. Rita's history and found they haven't won a state football championship since 1978. Providence and Mt. Carmel, conversly, have won 8 between them since 1995.

The hype is more based upon location, rivalry among students, and the stigma of toughness Chicago league teams seem to have.

Since I basically ignore football North of Ogden AVe., any rivalry doesn't exist to me out above such boundary. I've always held this belief of football being exclusively a South Side of Chicago fascination. People down around these areas, more than others, seemingly are descendants of former HS football players.

I just can't imagine any prissy, North Side school such as New Trier or Winnetka assembling a championship tradition. Does the NEW TRIER TREVIANS immediately invoke football pride? LOL, just found out in their schools 105 year history they have yet to win a championship. That's how sterotypes are formed, lol.

Anywho, back on the topic, I believe the biggest state rivalry -- all factors included -- would be Joliet Catholic and Providence.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
I just can't imagine any prissy, North Side school such as New Trier or Winnetka assembling a championship tradition. Does the NEW TRIER TREVIANS immediately invoke football pride? LOL, just found out in their schools 105 year history they have yet to win a championship. That's how sterotypes are formed, lol.

Maine South and Prospect are the only two north side schools with a championship tradition. New Trier is the most hatable high school in the state of Illinois.

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 07:33 PM)
Maine South and Prospect are the only two north side schools with a championship tradition. New Trier is the most hatable high school in the state of Illinois.

True that last statement.

Libertyville and Carmel are two north side schools that have state titles in football recently. Carmel was just bumped up to 7A and a match up vs. Libertyville in the playoffs would be awesome.

QUOTE(soxsr08 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
i would say both teams are first tier, both schools grab all the talent in the area, yes mount carmel is better, but the big difference between the 2 teams is the head coach.

Kuska sucks balls, and that's putting it nicely. Rita should've won a state title in the time I was there, but that guy did everything he could to prevent that. He really isn't a good coach at all.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
Probably any game between the big name Catholic League teams(Rice, Rita, Mt. Carmel, Providence). It helps that they make up the best football conference in the state. You could also throw Marist in with those teams even though they really can't compete athletically.

Nicely put.

QUOTE(soxsr08 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lazy students vs. their freshman english class homework assignments? :huh

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)

They rarely compete for titles in two of the "big 3" sports (baseball being the exception). However, it's hard to argue with things like this:

http://www.stolaf.edu/people/leibold/SI_Ex...May_11,2005.htm

Look at #12.

I'm shocked to hear that from a poster named MSHAWKS.

NT doesn't deserve discussion as a top rivalry in football with anyone. They aren't a football school. They can make a case in hockey, swimming and some other sports though.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
They rarely compete for titles in two of the "big 3" sports (baseball being the exception). However, it's hard to argue with things like this:

Look at #12.

Yup. Just not in football.

And I'd say there have been bigger individual names. I'd have to go look, but I thought Scott Sanderson went to NT. Not sure though.

QUOTE(farmteam @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)

Look at #12.

Sorry, but I HAVE to ask. How did you find this page through St Olaf?

Mt. Carmel is the most hatable school in the state. They recruit kids from all over for their teamsa, their coach Frank Lenti is the scum of the earth, and they once successfully sued and stopped the entire state wrestling tournament because they had been disqualified for violating the rules on the number wrestling tournaments they hold. The throng of 50 something Mt. Carmel alumni that cling to the "glory days" and believe that nobody is as good as Mt. Carmel sickens me.

I'd like to see the school closed.

New Trier is wealthy, but mostly harmless. Other than the fact that the parents of all those kids are loaded, there's really no reason to make them hatable.

Edited by AbeFroman

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)
Mt. Carmel is the most hatable school in the state. They recruit kids from all over for their teamsa, their coach Frank Lenti is the scum of the earth, and they once successfully sued and stopped the entire state wrestling tournament because they had been disqualified for violating the rules on the number wrestling tournaments they hold. The throng of 50 something Mt. Carmel alumni that cling to the "glory days" and believe that nobody is as good as Mt. Carmel sickens me.

I'd like to see the school closed.

New Trier is wealthy, but mostly harmless. Other than the fact that the parents of all those kids are loaded, there's really no reason to make them hatable.

There's no need to hold all that anger in. Let it all out :P .

For the record, I agree with you. Mount Carmel alums are almost as bad as Notre Dame alums.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Eh, close. They're both CSL South, right?

GBN is CSL North, but close enough.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 04:02 PM)

New Trier is hatable because they win everything. They own golf, baseball, soccer, tennis, and swimming among others I'm probably forgetting.