Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
Gosh damn -- did McRoberts cry on every shot that he missed or what?

Obviously, the guards played spectacular tonight, but Oose played a real good game defensively. He got beat a couple of times, but for the most part, held his own with McRoberts and the other Duke bigs down low.

What more can be said about the three guards up front? Matthews didn't have a great game, but James played unbelievably well. McNeal played great, too, although I wish he had that take-it-to-the-basket attitude on every possession; I don't like him taking a dribble and a step-back shot, which he tends to do once or twice a game.

I'm stoked... for about the first twenty-five minutes, it just felt like a game that Marquette would hang around in but not ever take the lead with. Duke got up five, but that little in-bounds play to James got 'em going.

F'n A, Marquette! :headbang

I actually think the biggest key in this game, besides Barro doing a nice job inside, was that Duke doesn't have a point guard. Turnovers in this game were 19-9 in favor of Marquette as the 2 guys Duke tried at PG (Nelson and Paulus) had 4 dimes and 11 TO's, and as a team Duke had 9 dimes and 19 TO's. The lack of point guard play meant Duke couldn't get the ball inside a lot to take advantage of the size advantage, and they also didn't get any open looks.

Paulus SUCKS and Nelson and Scheyer are natural 3's and 2's, respectively, so Duke is going to have problems all year against teams with good guards because they really don't have a single point guard worth a damn, as well as their 2 superstars are now in the NBA and can't bail them out. McRoberts better be really good or Duke sure won't be, and even he looked like Shavlik Randolph tonight.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paulus just dribbles around the arc until he makes a purposeless pass. He is a good passer, but a poor decision maker at best. If he was capable of doing some sort of penetration he has the big men and shooters to create a ton for this team. Also, McRoberts had one of the worst games I've seen from a star big man in a long time.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)
Paulus just dribbles around the arc until he makes a purposeless pass. He is a good passer, but a poor decision maker at best. If he was capable of doing some sort of penetration he has the big men and shooters to create a ton for this team. Also, McRoberts had one of the worst games I've seen from a star big man in a long time.

Yeah, I certainly can't argue with that. I'm surprised they went away from Nelson. I realize that Crean stopped double teaming the post after the opening five (or so) minutes, but he still should've had more touches.

And I've always thought Paulus is overrated. Turnovers at bad times, can't play a whole lot of defense. And Scheyer isn't confident at all yet. He missed that layeup BADLY down low, and his three point stroke is off. He's another guy who's okay defensively, but he's not exactly a stopper on the other side of the court.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 02:10 AM)
And Scheyer isn't confident at all yet. He missed that layeup BADLY down low, and his three point stroke is off. He's another guy who's okay defensively, but he's not exactly a stopper on the other side of the court.

He had done decently in the 3 games I'd seen Duke before tonight. He did have a poor shooting game though.

I'd just like to point out that even Rich McBride agrees with me in regards to Dee Brown (and so does Shuan Pruitt, although he isn't as direct).

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=252564

That sophomore Chester Frazier owns his teammates’ respect for his multifaceted point-guard abilities.

Frazier filled up the box score again Tuesday with a game-high 17 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and 1 block.

“Obviously we’ve got a great point guard (sitting) right next to me,” McBride said. “We’re not missing Dee (Brown) at all. Chester does a great job of getting everybody the ball and running the offense.”

“It’s just been great playing with Chester so far this year,” said Pruitt, “because he actually does look inside. He’s a true point guard.”

Ehh, those two don't have a clue what they are talking about either though. :P

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
Gosh damn -- did McRoberts cry on every shot that he missed or what?

Obviously, the guards played spectacular tonight, but Oose played a real good game defensively. He got beat a couple of times, but for the most part, held his own with McRoberts and the other Duke bigs down low.

What more can be said about the three guards up front? Matthews didn't have a great game, but James played unbelievably well. McNeal played great, too, although I wish he had that take-it-to-the-basket attitude on every possession; I don't like him taking a dribble and a step-back shot, which he tends to do once or twice a game.

I'm stoked... for about the first twenty-five minutes, it just felt like a game that Marquette would hang around in but not ever take the lead with. Duke got up five, but that little in-bounds play to James got 'em going.

F'n A, Marquette! :headbang

:drink That was a fun game to watch. Hopefully we'll get to see more here.:drink

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 04:26 AM)
I'd just like to point out that even Rich McBride agrees with me in regards to Dee Brown (and so does Shuan Pruitt, although he isn't as direct).

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=252564

Ehh, those two don't have a clue what they are talking about either though. :P

Yup, i guess the Illini are a much better team without Dee Brown and James Augustine. I would have loved to have seen how did they last year without both of them. Perhaps they could have made another final four appearance. Probably would have been a lock - if only Weber benched both of them last year!

You also misinterpreted those quotes, IMO. You read them and saw what you wanted to. We all know Dee wasn't a true point, but i think what Rich is saying is look, we found someone to replace him, not "man, he's finally gone, we are so much better without him."

You also are taking Pruitt's quote to only mean what you want it to, not 'chester is a good pg, he looks inside'. You are making up your own context.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
Yup, i guess the Illini are a much better team without Dee Brown and James Augustine. I would have loved to have seen how did they last year without both of them. Perhaps they could have made another final four appearance. Probably would have been a lock - if only Weber benched both of them last year!

Two things:

1. The scheduling of patsies for the first four games is genius. This is a young team, one that needs to gel, one that needs to find who they are with the departure of Dee and James. And what better way to do that and build confidence than by scheduling the Savannah States of the world?

2. The Illini don't have as much talent as they did last year with Dee and Augustine, but they may have the better team. The losses of Randle, Smith and McBride may help this team in the long run. It forced the team to learn to play without them and hopefully helped the maturity level of Meacham, Brock, Carlwell, Semrau, etc.

So the next 4 days are absolutely huge for the valley: We have Arkansas tomorrow and then maybe V-Tech on Sunday if we could advance to the championship, Missouri State plays Wisconsin on Friday, Creighton plays G.Mason and Wichita State plays LSU on Saturday.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
Do you hear what I hear? It's the knees of the Razorbacks, clanging in fear of the DAWGS!!!

:) . Should be one heck of a game, as Arkansas is young but they're extremely talented. I'm pretty pumped for this game, can't wait to wake up tomorrow and turn on espn 2. GO DAWGS!!!!!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
:) . Should be one heck of a game, as Arkansas is young but they're extremely talented. I'm pretty pumped for this game, can't wait to wake up tomorrow and turn on espn 2. GO DAWGS!!!!!

Yes! Watching SIU basketball instead of Detroit and Miami...priceless!

Glad we're out of the Anchorage tourney. If we lose at all this weekend, it is still a quality loss, if there is such a thing.

P.S. Wake up before 11am, bum. I will have been up and back from the gym by then.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
Yes! Watching SIU basketball instead of Detroit and Miami...priceless!

Glad we're out of the Anchorage tourney. If we lose at all this weekend, it is still a quality loss, if there is such a thing.

P.S. Wake up before 11am, bum. I will have been up and back from the gym by then.

I'll probably be setting my alarm to like 10:50. :lol:

Some horrible shooting by the Vols in the second half, some of the worst shooting all year so far.

Can't wait for the Saluki game tomorrow, Dawgs should win, this early in the season, experience > youth. It would really suck if SIU lost tomorrow, get ready for the 9:30 start if they do.

UNC seems to be the king of the 'they lost to that team?!' game. Every year UNC will have a couple just weird losses, especially earlier in the year. For example, the national title team losing to Santa Clara in their opener, the year before losing to a 3-13 in the ACC Clemson team. That said I should give Gonzaga some credit even though I hate to. They aren't a bad team, the win just caught me by surprise to say the least.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 01:26 AM)
UNC seems to be the king of the 'they lost to that team?!' game. Every year UNC will have a couple just weird losses, especially earlier in the year. For example, the national title team losing to Santa Clara in their opener, the year before losing to a 3-13 in the ACC Clemson team. That said I should give Gonzaga some credit even though I hate to. They aren't a bad team, the win just caught me by surprise to say the least.

I thought they would beat the Zags, but it's not too suprising on a neutral court. I could see Gonzaga as a 3 or 4 seed in the tourney easily.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
So the next 4 days are absolutely huge for the valley: We have Arkansas tomorrow and then maybe V-Tech on Sunday if we could advance to the championship, Missouri State plays Wisconsin on Friday, Creighton plays G.Mason and Wichita State plays LSU on Saturday.

My nephew plays for MSU. They are psyched for that game. I don't think they can come close to hanging with Wisconsin but it should be fun.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 10:10 AM)
My nephew plays for MSU. They are psyched for that game. I don't think they can come close to hanging with Wisconsin but it should be fun.

Can I ask what your nephews name is? I bet they'll play close, I don't think they'll win(certainly wouldn't shock me if they did win) but I'd bet on it being a competitive game.

Edited by Rowand44