Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
Marquette having some trouble with Valpo. MU down by four about halfway through the second half.

:headbang :headbang One point game with 3 minutes left. MU is winning, but VU is going to get the ball.

Later this week we host Butler (#18, #1 RPI) and then go to Ohio State.

VU up by 2 with 2 minutes to go and is shooting FTs!!

James with 17 second half points, hits a three to break the tie :(

:34 left..

Tied at 62!!

f*** YOU JAMES! He hits the three to win it..

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 03:04 AM)
Wow, Dominic James with the ONIONS.

Marquette escapes with the win, and learned a valuable lesson. Why the hell would you ever schedule a game at freaking Valpo?? That's just asking for trouble, but hey they learned AND won, so oh well.

Valpo was our only non-conference road game (not counting the games against Tech and Duke, which was played on a nuetral court).

James with Marquette's final 18 (!) points. The team shot real poorly from outside, and had a ton of turnovers via charges. Good to see them pull one out in which they don't shoot particularly well.

Phew...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)
Valpo was our only non-conference road game (not counting the games against Tech and Duke, which was played on a nuetral court).

James with Marquette's final 18 (!) points. The team shot real poorly from outside, and had a ton of turnovers via charges. Good to see them pull one out in which they don't shoot particularly well.

Phew...

Non conferece road games aren't the problem, but playing a solid mid major that is hungry for blood in their building is a BAD IDEA. Better off playing a high major to be honest, but hey you won, so take it.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
How in the hell Evansville can be favored over ANY team by 18 is beyond me. How the hell Evansville can still cover the 18 baffles me.

Evansville 65

SEMO 45

Looks like they're starting to wake up. They really should be a solid team this year.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
Im just hoping Wisconsin beats FSU. Atleast it will be on TV.

I think you will. We played horribly against Pitt and I think I remember hearing you guys have some big men. If that's the case, we're in trouble.

Well Wisconsin has a few big guys, the only problem is that they have not played to their recruitment ranking. Butch is probably our best recruit and he is still very raw. On the other hand Tucker is probably our best player, and he was not a very highly rated recruit.

Early season games are hard to predict though. Should be interesting to finally see them, especially guys like Landry and Bohannon.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
HEY, we're the lead picture on espn.com's college bball homepage: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/index

I guess we've made the big time. ;)

Illinois and SIU should play in St. Louis every year to be honest. It'd be more fun than pantsing Misery every year down there, and would help both teams RPI's immensly.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Well Wisconsin has a few big guys, the only problem is that they have not played to their recruitment ranking. Butch is probably our best recruit and he is still very raw. On the other hand Tucker is probably our best player, and he was not a very highly rated recruit.

Early season games are hard to predict though. Should be interesting to finally see them, especially guys like Landry and Bohannon.

I have no idea who will guard Tucker. If I was Coach Ham I would put Swann on him, but it will most likely be Jason Rich.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 12:48 PM)
Illinois and SIU should play in St. Louis every year to be honest. It'd be more fun than pantsing Misery every year down there, and would help both teams RPI's immensly.

That'd be nice. I don't think Bruce will ever schedule us though, even though he said he's just waiting until all the players he recruited are gone.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
That'd be nice. I don't think Bruce will ever schedule us though, even though he said he's just waiting until all the players he recruited are gone.

I hope he's telling the truth about part 2 of your statement (I've heard him say it too). I'd love to see SIU and Illinois play every year, and I mean after all, Bruce did start what led to what SIU is now. It's not even a lose/lose game for Illinois, since SIU is a borderline if not in top 25 team every year that makes the dance, so it would really be a quality win if you got it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 12:56 PM)
It's not even a lose/lose game for Illinois, since SIU is a borderline if not in top 25 team every year that makes the dance, so it would really be a quality win if you got it.

Well that's the thing, people say those type of games are just lose/lose for the bcs conferences but that certainly isn't the case anymore with the Valley. We'll see if any of the BCS coaches start to man up and schedule some of the Valley teams, I still got a feeling that it aint happening anytime soon.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
Well that's the thing, people say those type of games are just lose/lose for the bcs conferences but that certainly isn't the case anymore with the Valley. We'll see if any of the BCS coaches start to man up and schedule some of the Valley teams, I still got a feeling that it aint happening anytime soon.

I have the same feeling as you unfortunately, but it makes no sense. The Valley really isn't a mid major anymore since it's a minimum 3, more likely 4 bid league every year now. That simply doesn't fit the mid major bill, and with the high regards and rankings that Valley teams get (and deservedly so), the lose/lose excuse no longer flies at all.

Thats untrue, playing a Valley team is lose-lose no matter how you slice it.

Wisconsin lost to Mo. State, a quality team. When they lose its an "upset", when they win its "status-quo." Maybe in 5 years, when the Valley starts to get teams rated in the top 15 preseason (Gonzaga has been there so no reason to say that it cant happen in the Valley) then you will see teams from the big conferences start to schedule the valley.

A lot of this has to do with recruiting as well. Because the BCS conferences get the top recruits, they are always considered the "top" teams eventhough many of these recruits are young so they are really not playing at the same level as a 4th year player on a valley team. This will even be more prevelant with the 1 and done, because writers etc will rank teams with the "Odens" of the world as 1, eventhough they have never stepped on the court. This will perpetuate Valley teams consistently being under ranked, and therefore people wont be willing to play them.

Right now I would always prefer Wisconsin to play a top 15 team, to a 25-40 Valley team. If you lose to the top 15, so what life moves on. If you lose to the valley, everyone is second guessing your program.

It basically boils down to the fact that sportswriters like hype, and they vote on hype. If the Valley can get some hyped players, all of a sudden everything will change.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
Thats untrue, playing a Valley team is lose-lose no matter how you slice it.

Wisconsin lost to Mo. State, a quality team. When they lose its an "upset", when they win its "status-quo." Maybe in 5 years, when the Valley starts to get teams rated in the top 15 preseason (Gonzaga has been there so no reason to say that it cant happen in the Valley) then you will see teams from the big conferences start to schedule the valley.

A lot of this has to do with recruiting as well. Because the BCS conferences get the top recruits, they are always considered the "top" teams eventhough many of these recruits are young so they are really not playing at the same level as a 4th year player on a valley team. This will even be more prevelant with the 1 and done, because writers etc will rank teams with the "Odens" of the world as 1, eventhough they have never stepped on the court. This will perpetuate Valley teams consistently being under ranked, and therefore people wont be willing to play them.

Right now I would always prefer Wisconsin to play a top 15 team, to a 25-40 Valley team. If you lose to the top 15, so what life moves on. If you lose to the valley, everyone is second guessing your program.

It basically boils down to the fact that sportswriters like hype, and they vote on hype. If the Valley can get some hyped players, all of a sudden everything will change.

If someone is 2nd guessing your team then they're retarded. A ton of the major conferences last year b****ed about the mid majors having high rpi's and that they some how manipulated the system. The Valley had about 6 teams in the rpi top 50 last year iirc. Beating a valley team is going to be considered a quality victory in March by the selection committee. The major conferences have absolutely no reason to b**** that some of their teams get left out come March when they refuse to schedule quality mid majors(I'm talking to you Gary Williams).

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
Looks like they're starting to wake up. They really should be a solid team this year.

The SHOULD be better with a linuep of seniors that have been starting for 3 or 4 years and finally some depth. But SHOULD doesn't translate to losing at Lipscomb and blowing a lead at home to Miami.

If they want to be in the top half of the Valley, those things cannot happen.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
HEY, we're the lead picture on espn.com's college bball homepage: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/index

I guess we've made the big time. ;)

Already replaced by a picture of Indiana. So sad. LOL