Official College Basketball Thread

The Big 10 got demolished in last years tournament, and they didnt lose respect.

Id love the Dawgs to play at Duke and end their OOC home win streak...even the gurantee would be quite large(probably $90-100K...UNC was going to give us $80K for a gurantee in Chapel Hill and we turned it down).

Losing Tatum and TY is going to hurt next year, but we get Fay(who, IMO, would of been 4 star talent on scout and rivals if he didnt play at the class A level), and a pure scorer in Brandon Wood. Evans will redshirt most likely, but according to anonymous coaches we stole him.

I am not predicting success next year, as our current OOC as it stands is going to be tough and the Valley is getting stronger every year, but I nevertheless hope for the best.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Big 10 got demolished in last years tournament, and they didnt lose respect.

because the big ten, rightly or wrongly, is generally acknowledged as one of the nation's power conferences. it regularly puts teams in the final four, so it can weather a tough year and not lose anything in the image department.

leagues like the mvc do not have that luxury since they have not had the historical success in the tournament that leagues like the big ten have.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
because the big ten, rightly or wrongly, is generally acknowledged as one of the nation's power conferences. it regularly puts teams in the final four, so it can weather a tough year and not lose anything in the image department.

leagues like the mvc do not have that luxury since they have not had the historical success in the tournament that leagues like the big ten have.

agreed, i dont believe Southern would do very well playing big conferences every game for 2 months, especially on the road. Sorry im not a believer, never have been. Big conference have better talent, and much tougher venues. Hell ISU sucks(sorry heads, but hilton is really tough to win at.

Edited by Jimbo's Drinker

It's gonna be a while before the Valley gets a Final Four team, or another midmajor conference does the same. I was pulling for GM last year, but I really just think that was a freak occurance. The Valley teams are really hit or miss at times. It's going to take a team that is stunningly good for it to happen.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)

Id love the Dawgs to play at Duke and end their OOC home win streak...even the gurantee would be quite large(probably $90-100K...UNC was going to give us $80K for a gurantee in Chapel Hill and we turned it down).

Losing Tatum and TY is going to hurt next year, but we get Fay(who, IMO, would of been 4 star talent on scout and rivals if he didnt play at the class A level), and a pure scorer in Brandon Wood. Evans will redshirt most likely, but according to anonymous coaches we stole him.

I am not predicting success next year, as our current OOC as it stands is going to be tough and the Valley is getting stronger every year, but I nevertheless hope for the best.

I'd predict Wood to redshirt as well but we'll see. Don't forget about Cornelius, he'll make an even bigger impact than Fay next season imo.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
agreed, i dont believe Southern would do very well playing big conferences every game for 2 months, especially on the road. Sorry im not a believer, never have been. Big conference have better talent, and much tougher venues. Hell ISU sucks(sorry heads, but hilton is really tough to win at.

Well 15 and 12 against the bcs conferences this season and mostly on the road or at neutral sites says otherwise. Whatever, I'm going to try and let this go again, nobody is switching anyones opinion for now, the Valley is just going to have to win again in the NCAA's.

Kyyle, the BB games are announced at 5 today and there is actually a selection show on espnu which should be interesting. I'm like one of 3 people in America to get that channel so I'll be watching.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
I'd predict Wood to redshirt as well but we'll see. Don't forget about Cornelius, he'll make an even bigger impact than Fay next season imo.

Well 15 and 12 against the bcs conferences this season and mostly on the road or at neutral sites says otherwise. Whatever, I'm going to try and let this go again, nobody is switching anyones opinion for now, the Valley is just going to have to win again in the NCAA's.

Kyyle, the BB games are announced at 5 today and there is actually a selection show on espnu which should be interesting. I'm like one of 3 people in America to get that channel so I'll be watching.

you dont need to change my opinion, talk is cheap, get a final four squad.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
Can someone explian this whole midconference tourney?

It's not a tournament. Basically, a lot of the non bcs conferences enter their teams in a pool type of thing where ESPN eventually makes the best game/matchups they can. As I said earlier in the thread, the thing has become completely watered down but the top matchups should all still be good ones. There are a lot of good teams in it this year with Butler, Nevada, Winthrop, the Valley teams, the top colonial teams, etc. The BB has been a pretty big topic among Valley fans because on one hand for the conferences National outlook, it's not really great to be in this thing but on the other hand, it gives the top teams a real good game and with the scheduling issues that most Valley teams face it's a good way to get a home game against a quality opponent.

The top 13 games(I could be wrong about that number)are on the ESPN networks so it's good exposure as well.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
I'd predict Wood to redshirt as well but we'll see. Don't forget about Cornelius, he'll make an even bigger

Cornelius tore his ACL, and while it can be fixed, you are never the same afterwards. Not only, even with complete rebuilding of the ligament, re-injury at some point likely, but it is a gateway to other more serious knee problems.

IMO, CC will be a decent bench player and nothing more because of this injury.

Not only that, people are talking about him like hes Michael Jordan...the kid hasnt played a game yet, shown nothing, and has a serious injury. I dont get why everyone is putting all their eggs into Cornelius's basket.

I hope I am wrong about him, but I highly doubt thats the case.

As far as tSIU/Buter in the BB goes...I am not so sure it is as done a deal as everyone thinks.

Butler not only has had 2 MVC teams in their OOC this year(Indiana State and Evansville, whom they split with), but also 3 teams next year(Indiana State, Bradley, Evansville). I think the matchup is probably still likely, but you never know...its kind of a catch 22, to have 4 very strong teams on the OOC, but they come from the same conference.

Edited by MarlinFan84

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
Cornelius tore his ACL, and while it can be fixed, you are never the same afterwards. Not only, even with complete rebuilding of the ligament, re-injury at some point likely, but it is a gateway to other more serious knee problems.

IMO, CC will be a decent bench player and nothing more because of this injury.

Not only that, people are talking about him like hes Michael Jordan...the kid hasnt played a game yet, shown nothing, and has a serious injury. I dont get why everyone is putting all their eggs into Cornelius's basket.

I hope I am wrong about him, but I highly doubt thats the case.

As far as tSIU/Buter in the BB goes...I am not so sure it is as done a deal as everyone thinks.

Butler not only has had 2 MVC teams in their OOC this year(Indiana State and Evansville, whom they split with), but also 3 teams next year(Indiana State, Bradley, Evansville). I think the matchup is probably still likely, but you never know...its kind of a catch 22, to have 4 very strong teams on the OOC, but they come from the same conference.

Cornelius is very ahead of schedule and might actually be cleared to practice sometime in February, so we'll see what happens. I don't think anyone is "putting all their eggs into Cornelius's basket," but if he can heal from his injury he's going to be a player, just watch. You're right though, we'll see if he can get back from that injury, not easy.

As far as Butler goes, ESPN isn't going to care about their scheduling issues, they want the best and most marketable matchup and right now that's definitely SIU-Butler. Now, I still wouldn't be overly shocked if we somehow get Nevada but Butler is definitely the most likely scenario imo.

EDIT: Haha, you're Patoka from the other ST aren't you? If so, I've had this BB argument with your for about 2 months now, so we can continue it over there if you wish but I'll drop it here, as I'm sure most here are tired of the SIU/Valley talk.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:10 AM)
The only problem with this line of thinking is, it is stupid.

Most national media, including ESPN suprisingly, considers the MVC on par with the BCS leagues in basketball.

Well that's just wrong.

Among other things, did you watch the selection show last year?

BTW, it was unnecessary to get on your high horse, because i know the MVC is a good conference, and nowhere in my post did i say the MVC sucked. I simply gave a reason why IU would turn down that game, something Rowand also did, and he's the biggest SIU fan this side of the saluki mascot.

BTW, i don't know who the hell tSIU is. Lame.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
Well that's just wrong.

Among other things, did you watch the selection show last year?

BTW, it was unnecessary to get on your high horse, because i know the MVC is a good conference, and nowhere in my post did i say the MVC sucked. I simply gave a reason why IU would turn down that game, something Rowand also did, and he's the biggest SIU fan this side of the saluki mascot.

for once i got your back krush, this guy is way over his head. SIU is good, they have no history, and have not done that much. IF you want to hang your hat on Virginia Tech or Arkansas, go right ahead. I

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 01:59 PM)
Cornelius is very ahead of schedule and might actually be cleared to practice sometime in February, so we'll see what happens. I don't think anyone is "putting all their eggs into Cornelius's basket," but if he can heal from his injury he's going to be a player, just watch. You're right though, we'll see if he can get back from that injury, not easy.

As far as Butler goes, ESPN isn't going to care about their scheduling issues, they want the best and most marketable matchup and right now that's definitely SIU-Butler. Now, I still wouldn't be overly shocked if we somehow get Nevada but Butler is definitely the most likely scenario imo.

EDIT: Haha, you're Patoka from the other ST aren't you? If so, I've had this BB argument with your for about 2 months now, so we can continue it over there if you wish but I'll drop it here, as I'm sure most here are tired of the SIU/Valley talk.

LOL, I suspected that as well, but I thought I would let it lie.

IlliniKrush, I take offense to the fact that you think Rowand44 is the biggest SIU fan on this site, I have been cheering on the Salukis since I was a freshman at SIU in 96, and I had to introduce R44 to salukitalk to expand his knowledge on Saluki folklore. We are interchangeable 1 and 1A. ;). If anything, he has the step up on me because he is actually on Campus and I am outta there.

And I agree, tSIU is pretty lame.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
for once i got your back krush, this guy is way over his head. SIU is good, they have no history, and have not done that much. IF you want to hang your hat on Virginia Tech or Arkansas, go right ahead. I

Just stop Jimbo, I'm trying to let it go. Don't get me going again. I can argue about this crap all day and I really don't want to here. Just stop.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
It's gonna be a while before the Valley gets a Final Four team, or another midmajor conference does the same. I was pulling for GM last year, but I really just think that was a freak occurance. The Valley teams are really hit or miss at times. It's going to take a team that is stunningly good for it to happen.

It depends what your definition of a mid-major is. I consider any team that plays in a non-BCS conference a mid-major. So I could see one getting there in the next few years. Memphis, Xavier (lost against Duke with the help of the officials in the Elite Eight) and St. Joe's have came damn close the last couple of years, and UMASS and Utah made the FF in the 1990's. As far as the Valley getting a FF team, Rowand makes a good point in that the Valley always gets screwed in the seeding. It will be hard if they keep getting 8-11 seeds.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)

Not entirely true. SIU actually has a pretty deep basketball history, a smattering of NBA players here and there, an NIT championship over Duke before the NCAA tournament was the big one. You may scoff at it, but they do have a pretty interesting history.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)

IlliniKrush, I take offense to the fact that you think Rowand44 is the biggest SIU fan on this site, I have been cheering on the Salukis since I was a freshman at SIU in 96, and I had to introduce R44 to salukitalk to expand his knowledge on Saluki folklore. We are interchangeable 1 and 1A. ;). If anything, he has the step up on me because he is actually on Campus and I am outta there.

LOL, i really just wanted to throw Rowand and the mascot in the same sentence.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)

LOL. Well Krush and I are good friends so he knows just how attached I've become to this team. You definitely have been a fan for longer but right now nobody is more of a fan than I am(you and several others are as big of fans), I can guarantee you that. I like 1 and 1a, and I'll make Brian(not you krush) 12. :P

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Kyyle23 and Rowand44, what are your screen names at ST?

Im kyyle23 everywhere I post, aside from one place(and thats because I forgot my kyyle23 password and cannot get into the acct).

I think Rowand is BMull10 iirc.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:26 PM)
do you want to take my tradition against yours....i can fight this all day long too.....i just have no army, im a one man napoleon. Im sorry I see SIU, and i say next!!! I see a nice upgrade lately, but nothing to go crazy about.

yada yada yada. What has Kansas done lately besides flameout against subpar teams in the first round? We can yap at each other all day long, but stop acting pompous because you are Kansas fan, there is no need for that here. We like our conference, we admire the respect you get for your tradition in your conference, and we want to get to that level of consistency. Thats all, end of story. I have never said Kansas is overrated, why do you feel the need to dump on SIU?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 29, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
Im kyyle23 everywhere I post, aside from one place(and thats because I forgot my kyyle23 password and cannot get into the acct).

I think Rowand is BMull10 iirc.

yada yada yada. What has Kansas done lately besides flameout against subpar teams in the first round? We can yap at each other all day long, but stop acting pompous because you are Kansas fan, there is no need for that here. We like our conference, we admire the respect you get for your tradition in your conference, and we want to get to that level of consistency. Thats all, end of story. I have never said Kansas is overrated, why do you feel the need to dump on SIU?

Last 5 years at Kansas:

2 final fours

1 elite 8

1 national championship game

0 titles, comes with the territory.

SIU is just another midlevel school who has no implication after the sweet 16, if you even get that far.

ESPN is at the Phog on Saturday night...Prime TIme Kansas!!!