Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
Traveling down from Marquette to see my Eagles take on DePaul. Can't wait to see half of All-State in gold... :D :headbang

Great, a caravan of john deere tractors coming down littering the highways with empty miller lite cans...

It'll be a good BLUE turnout...and hopefully a win over the marquette gold...

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 02:24 PM)
Look at the break down fo that bracket:

ACC- 8

Big East- 7

SEC- 6

21 out of 64 teams from the east coast.

1/3 of the entire bracket.

does that include the automatic bids...So that is 21 of 34 at large teams?? I know this is off, but that a ton of east coast teams.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
At the moment, they really shouldn't. They'll get 4 though, Illinois will get in.

Its like the movie rat race, its a race.

Out of Iowa, Mich State, Mich and Illanoy the teams with the best final 7 games gets in.

Well as Ive already shown Illinois has a better resume than most of the last teams selected.

Im not going to go through every single reason, but if you look at the RPI, SOS, etc the Big 10 teams are in the top in every category.

Teams like Illinois are getting hurt because unlike the Big East or Big 12, the top 2 teams in the Big 10 are much harder to beat. If Illinois, MSU, etc only won 1 game against OSU or Wisconsin, they would be considered locks.

Why should they be punished because the top 2 teams are superior than other conferences top 2 teams?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the moment, they really shouldn't. They'll get 4 though, Illinois will get in.

Yea, I guess I just fail to see why the Big Ten should be given more than three considering how competitive the ACC, SEC, and Big East have been. I mean, come on, Michigan St/Michigan last night, live on national television and each team has 36 points approaching 10:00 minutes left in the second half? Come on.

I love IU, as diehard as they come, but the Big Ten as a whole hasn't impressed me much.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 02:24 PM)
Look at the break down fo that bracket:

ACC- 8

Big East- 7

SEC- 6

21 out of 64 teams from the east coast.

1/3 of the entire bracket.

What's worse is Florida State was the last team out...

That is total crap, I don't see how Georgia, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Louisville and Alabama ALL get in and the 4th place Big Ten team (whoever it turns out to be) doesn't. I could buy a handful of them, but not all of that group.

Of course his defense will be "I just go by what the numbers give me, and right now this is what would happen". That's why projecting brackets at this point is kind of pointless, there are still SOOO many potential changes.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
Well as Ive already shown Illinois has a better resume than most of the last teams selected.

Im not going to go through every single reason, but if you look at the RPI, SOS, etc the Big 10 teams are in the top in every category.

Teams like Illinois are getting hurt because unlike the Big East or Big 12, the top 2 teams in the Big 10 are much harder to beat. If Illinois, MSU, etc only won 1 game against OSU or Wisconsin, they would be considered locks.

Why should they be punished because the top 2 teams are superior than other conferences top 2 teams?

Illinois is being punished because it lost the games to boost their resume. They had a chance to beat Maryland, Arizona, Wiscy and Ohio State, but failed.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
What's worse is Florida State was the last team out...

That is total crap, I don't see how Georgia, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Louisville and Alabama ALL get in and the 4th place Big Ten team (whoever it turns out to be) doesn't. I could buy a handful of them, but not all of that group.

Of course his defense will be "I just go by what the numbers give me, and right now this is what would happen". That's why projecting brackets at this point is kind of pointless, there are still SOOO many potential changes.

cough cough east coast conferences cough cough

Well thats exactly my point. Right now ESPN etc are running the show.

When it comes to selection Sunday, the conference with the biggest deepest and most powerful pocket is:

The Big 10.

CBS et al are not going to want to be on Delaney's b**** list, and quite frankly if Big 10 only has 3 there are going to be heads.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
Yea, I guess I just fail to see why the Big Ten should be given more than three considering how competitive the ACC, SEC, and Big East have been. I mean, come on, Michigan St/Michigan last night, live on national television and each team has 36 points approaching 10:00 minutes left in the second half? Come on.

I love IU, as diehard as they come, but the Big Ten as a whole hasn't impressed me much.

I don't think anyone is saying that they deserve 7 or 8, but I don't see how you can say that the 4th team in the Big Ten is worse than the 7th best team in some of these other conferences.

There's still a giant mess in the middle of those other conferences getting all those bids, the only difference is that all of them are getting in in this scenario. How can you honestly say that 4 ACC teams that are .500 or worse deserve to be in the tourney? Or how a conference that has basically been crap outside of Florida deserves 3 more bids?

It's certainly not a good year for the Big Ten, but leaving the 4th Big Ten team out over so many other mediocre teams borders on criminal...

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Zoom,

Thats the problem I have as well.

All of these "last teams in" would be fighting for 4,5,6 place in the Big 10 as well. The only difference is the top teams of the Big 10 arent doing any of the other Big 10 teams favors by dropping 1 or 2. If Illinois had beat Wisconsin at Illinois, and MSU had beaten OSU, the Big 10 would all of a sudden be at 5 teams as in.

I doubt any of those teams you listed would have done better than a split against Indiana and losing to OSU/Wisconsin.