Sheffield Traded to Tigers..

bschmaranz

What an ass

"This will not work, this will not work at all," Sheffield told the newspaper. "I don't want to play first base a year for them. I will not do that."

"I don't know what they're [Yankees] going to do," Sheffield said. "Maybe they picked it up just to trade me. If they do that, if I just [go] to a team for one year, there's going to be a problem."

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading si.com's rumor section the other day, and I believe one of the papers said they will try and trade him, but picked it up to keep him away from their main competitors...

NYY would likely eat a ton of this contract if they can place him in the NL or an AL West team

Ya, but the man can hit regardless of how pissed off he is (in fact he's even better when he's pissed).

He's one of those guys that no matter what is going on around him, no matter how mad everyone is at him, he'll continue to produce and producde at a top notch rate (as long as he's healthy).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
Ya, but the man can hit regardless of how pissed off he is (in fact he's even better when he's pissed).

He's one of those guys that no matter what is going on around him, no matter how mad everyone is at him, he'll continue to produce and producde at a top notch rate (as long as he's healthy).

This is not necessarily true. He was with the Brewers as a rookie and I was working with the team. He hated the team and the city. He said it was racist and he didn't want to be there. He would field the ball (he was playing 3B at the time) look over at Tom Trebelhorn who was a great guy and the manager at the time, and throw the ball into the stands. After the inning he would ask in the dugout "when am I going to be traded".

I know I've told this story here before and I'm biased against him, but I can honestly say he is one of the worst people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with regardless if it's in pro sports or not.

There are some people in fandom, and on this site, who are 100% about performance. I'm not one of them. I don't expect everyone to be angels, but... I just can't feel any great respect for someone who is given an incredible gift, is paid millions to live their dream, and then s***s all over the people who put him on that pedestal.

Sheffield, Moss, Bonds and their ilk can take a flyer. They will never have my respect, and I never want to see them on any of the teams I root for.

I'm sure they're heart-broken to hear that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
There are some people in fandom, and on this site, who are 100% about performance. I'm not one of them. I don't expect everyone to be angels, but... I just can't feel any great respect for someone who is given an incredible gift, is paid millions to live their dream, and then s***s all over the people who put him on that pedestal.

Sheffield, Moss, Bonds and their ilk can take a flyer. They will never have my respect, and I never want to see them on any of the teams I root for.

I'm sure they're heart-broken to hear that.

I'll tolerate being an ass in exchange for performance...if, and you'll note the 2 names in bold, the guy being the asshole is also clean. Neither one of those 2 are. Be a b*tch all you want if you do your job...just do it legally.

The one thing that does blur the line a bit though is that with some guys, their being a b*tch can hurt the team's performance as well, and Moss is a prime example of that.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
I tolerate assholes as long as they aren't doing anything illegal. For example, TO is an ass, but he's not getting rolled for DUI's or beating his wife.

I disagree. I can live without the jerks. There are players you can get who are talented but good guys ie. Thome, Konerko, Dye, Buerhle, Garland. Let the jerks rot.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I read somewhere, I believe it was in Si.com's "rumor" section that both Chicago teams will be on his list. Again, doesn't mean that the Sox or Cubs would have any interest in him, just that he would be willing to bring his sunny disposition to either side of our great city!

Sheffield was traded to the Tigers

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/base...gers/index.html

The Yankees and Tigers have agreed on a Gary Sheffield trade, SI.com has learned.

In return, the Yankees will acquire highly touted right-hander Humberto Sanchez and Class A pitchers Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett, according to a Tigers source.

The Tigers will extend Sheffield's contract for two years beyond the one year and $13 million remaining.

...and a two year extension!

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
Sheffield was traded to the Tigers

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/base...gers/index.html

...and a two year extension!

Great move for the Yankees. Sheffield is going to be interesting in an already attitude filled clubhouse with Irod, Maggs, and Kenny Rogers.