Worst Team To Ever Win the World Series

aboz56

I feel pretty good saying this was indeed the worst team ever to win the whole thing...

I've only been watching since about 1990, but I can't remember anyone as bad in my short time.

There certainly can't be many 83 win teams go that far, if any, since the Wild Card just began in the Mid 90's.

Detroit handed these guys a ring with piss poor defense. Just plain pathetic to watch two teams (the winning team was an average team at best) play that bad on the biggest stage.

What makes it even worse is how bad the Sox swatted these guys around back in June.

20-6

13-5

and then 1-0.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All it's going to say in the record books is:

2006 World Series

St. Louis (NL) 4, Detroit (AL) 1

No one has to like it, but they earned their title by qualifying for the postseason and winning 11 games after that.

It's not their fault that the NL was super-weak and the Tigers played like Little Leaguers.

They did what they had to do, and hats off to them.

Congrats to the Cards and there fans but I'm with Boz in the fact that there are definitely things about this champ that bugs me. It really does bother me that an 83 win team won it all but what are you going to do. Baseball as a whole was very mediocre and we have one of the worse champions there's been. But that's the way it is so congrats to St. Louis.

The White Sox f***ed themselves. You can say we could've beat anyone in the playoffs all you want, but it didn't happen and we didn't get there. That's no one's fault but the Sox.

The Cards did what was necessary in the regular season to make sure they made it to October, and they got the 11 wins they needed. They're the champs.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
The White Sox f***ed themselves. You can say we could've beat anyone in the playoffs all you want, but it didn't happen and we didn't get there. That's no one's fault but the Sox.

Yes indeed and after seeing this, I can't wait to get to next season and see the Sox get back to work.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)

Correct and that's one of the reasons this sucks so much. And it does sting more for me to watch all this celebration, I miss that from last year, a lot.

Well I expect the entire Tiger pitching staff to suck next year because they pitched so far and so deep into the season. At least that is what we were told about this years whitesox.

Hopefully watching this makes the whitesox want to vomit, and gives them the desire they lacked this year. Lets go and f*** them up next year.

Congrats to the cards, next year we reclaim what is ours.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
Well I expect the entire Tiger pitching staff to suck next year because they pitched so far and so deep into the season. At least that is what we were told about this years whitesox.

Hopefully watching this makes the whitesox want to vomit, and gives them the desire they lacked this year. Lets go and f*** them up next year.

Congrats to the cards, next year we reclaim what is ours.

I thought the Indians were supposed to be great this year too. I mean that's what everyone said.

That's why they play the games. What it looks like on paper doesn't mean s***.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Link them to the linescores from this past summer when we raped them.

I just asked the kid if he wanted to compare last years Sox team to this year Cards team. Then I just owned him with that information. The Sox accomplishments from last year make life easy.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
I thought the Indians were supposed to be great this year too. I mean that's what everyone said.

That's why they play the games. What it looks like on paper doesn't mean s***.

Well if Joey Cora had his waving hand taped to his side, if bmac was in the rotation in July, if Ozzie played the starters more than 25% of the time, and if our hitters decided to keep hitting instead of becoming the lift and pull softball team we would of won the division hands down. We were the best team in the AL this year. We just decided to collectively f*** up and it sickens me that we didnt get a chance to defend.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Was anyone else kinda suprised at the fan reaction in St.Louis right after the win? Kinda seemed a little dull for a K to end the series....

They're probably even in shock that such a horses*** team could win it all.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
I just asked the kid if he wanted to compare last years Sox team to this year Cards team. Then I just owned him with that information. The Sox accomplishments from last year make life easy.

Comparing this Cardinal team to last year's White Sox team is like comparing the 1996 Chicago Bulls to the 1999 San Antonio Spurs.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
A lot of you seem to be harping on their regular season record. Remember all the injuries this team suffered (Pujols, Mulder, Eckstein, Edmonds, Reyes, etc.) They did a damn good job surviving to get to the playoffs.

That's called being in the NL Central. Probably the worst division in baseball. The fact that the Astros had a legitimate shot at winning the division going into the last weekend of the regular season is all that needs to be said. Not trying to hate. The Cards won it and don't have to apologize to anybody. But I challenge anybody to name a worse champion than this.

They are certainly the worst team in recent memory to win a World Series, but I see no reason for MLB to be embarrassed. Frankly, I prefer it this way. Remember all the talk about the lack of parity in the league when the big payroll teams like the Yankees were winning championships every year? I'm glad that there is the potential for a major surprise every season. I'm glad that more teams (yes, even the "not-so-great" teams) have a chance to win it all. And I like the idea that its open season for any team that is fortunate to make the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with sliding into the playoffs and rising to the occasion when it counts the most.

I'm a little pissed off that the Sox couldn't put the pieces together and make the playoffs, especially when this years playoffs have shown me that the Sox would have had as good a shot as anybody had they made it. But that is our problem. Unfortunately, we sit at home watching another team take advantage of the opportunity.

Yes, the Cardinals owe a lot to the watered down National League. And what many people don't talk about was how the level of quality of both leagues in general appeared to be down this year. Regardless, the Cardinals have absolutely nothing to apologize for, and neither does baseball. As far as I'm concerned, a year that goes by the Yankees or the Red Sox didn't win the championship courtesy of their deep wallets is a victory for Major League Baseball.

Maybe I'm completely off base here, but I like the fact that a team like the Cardinals can win the title. The more teams that feel like they have a chance to win the title, the better. This philosophy seems to have worked for the NFL.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
They are certainly the worst team in recent memory to win a World Series, but I see no reason for MLB to be embarrassed. Frankly, I prefer it this way. Remember all the talk about the lack of parity in the league when the big payroll teams like the Yankees were winning championships every year? I'm glad that there is the potential for a major surprise every season. I'm glad that more teams (yes, even the "not-so-great" teams) have a chance to win it all. And I like the idea that its open season for any team that is fortunate to make the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with sliding into the playoffs and rising to the occasion when it counts the most.

I agree with everything here.

I'm a little pissed off that the Sox couldn't put the pieces together and make the playoffs, especially when this years playoffs have shown me that the Sox would have had as good a shot as anybody had they made it. But that is our problem. Unfortunately, we sit at home watching another team take advantage of the opportunity.

I just can't get over it. This is the main reason I haven't posted as much the last 6 weeks or so. I have no doubt in my mind that we win it all again if we had simply gotten in.

Yes, the Cardinals owe a lot to the watered down National League. And what many people don't talk about was how the level of quality of both leagues in general appeared to be down this year. Regardless, the Cardinals have absolutely nothing to apologize for, and neither does baseball. As far as I'm concerned, a year that goes by the Yankees or the Red Sox didn't win the championship courtesy of their deep wallets is a victory for Major League Baseball.

I totally disagree with the bolded part. The NL flat sucked. No debating that. But the AL was insanely strong this year. Look no further than the White Sox. A team that won 90 games and finished in third place. I think teams like the Angels and Blue Jays would've won 95+ games or so in the NL. The AL was VERY good this year. The Tigers should be ashamed of themselves for getting handled by such an average team.

Maybe I'm completely off base here, but I like the fact that a team like the Cardinals can win the title. The more teams that feel like they have a chance to win the title, the better. This philosophy seems to have worked for the NFL.

I agree with this. It's no doubt good for baseball.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006