Frank Thomas Free Agent

WinningUgly85

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Frank should sign with Det or Minnesota.

19 games against us and with his being motivated, he's probably guaranteed a good season

just of all the bombs he's gonna hit off our Sox pitchers.

Then he can enjoy a 2nd or 3rd place finish. :)

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 01:52 AM)
I'd say the chances are few and far between that Frank stays healthy two years in a row.

I'd say the chances are very high that he has 2 healthy years in a row. This is a guy who was never really injured until late in his career. I say after this off season he will be in better shape than the past 2 years, because if you ask me he wasn't fully healed even in 2006. Yet he still put up massive numbers. Just look at him run...and while Frank is far from the athlete he used to be, he should be looking better on the base paths in 07.

I'm a Frank Thomas homer, I admit it. But I think he will have another great year in 2007. wherever that may be.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
I'd say the chances are very high that he has 2 healthy years in a row. This is a guy who was never really injured until late in his career. I say after this off season he will be in better shape than the past 2 years, because if you ask me he wasn't fully healed even in 2006. Yet he still put up massive numbers. Just look at him run...and while Frank is far from the athlete he used to be, he should be looking better on the base paths in 07.

I'm a Frank Thomas homer, I admit it. But I think he will have another great year in 2007. wherever that may be.

If you watched Thomas this year you would've noticed that he wasn't healthy. He did play a full season but not at a healthy level. He still cannot run on that foot. He limped and hobbled his way through the year to get a good contract and a ring I think. If you look at his stats they show it as well. He scored only 77 runs and had only 11 doubles. Both of which are significantly lower than any season where he had 500 at bats. This tells me he couldn't run to stretch doubles and couldn't score from 2nd where he could if he could run.

Thomas will always hit but his days of being able to run and do other things he should are over. I wouldn't sign him to a multi-year dwal as who knows how he will be able to handle it.

That being said I'm a huge Thomas fan and can't wait to see that 500th HR no matter what uniform it's in (as long as it's not against the Sox)

QUOTE(ptatc @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:01 AM)
That being said I'm a huge Thomas fan and can't wait to see that 500th HR no matter what uniform it's in (as long as it's not against the Sox)

I'd even tolerate it happeneing against the Sox as long as it happened in the Cell.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)
If you watched Thomas this year you would've noticed that he wasn't healthy. He did play a full season but not at a healthy level. He still cannot run on that foot. He limped and hobbled his way through the year to get a good contract and a ring I think. If you look at his stats they show it as well. He scored only 77 runs and had only 11 doubles. Both of which are significantly lower than any season where he had 500 at bats. This tells me he couldn't run to stretch doubles and couldn't score from 2nd where he could if he could run.

I'm a huge Frank Thomas fan, but watching him Oakland was a little painful at times. He had a good year, but like the quote above points out he can not run at all and really clogs up the bases (yes, more than some of the speed demons in the middle of our line-up).

He is a good player for Beane's philosophy of getting on base and not looking to steal, but what Ozzie wants to do, and I belive can be effective, I don't know how Frank would fit in (And trust me, that last statment kills me to type)

QUOTE(ptatc @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 01:01 PM)

Thomas will always hit but his days of being able to run and do other things he should are over. I wouldn't sign him to a multi-year dwal as who knows how he will be able to handle it.

Healthy is the wrong word I suppose. I was referring to the fact that he played a full season, something he hasn't done since 2004.

I wonder who will go after him. Angels could use a bat but I still don't think he'd be a good fit there specifically because he'd totally clog up the basepaths (plus I think they are going to spend big bucks to get there bat).

Mariners could use a DH with some pop and obviously Oakland could keep him or a team like the Orioles could go for a veteran. Truly I don't see that many teams in the AL that would really have the need for big Frank.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
I wonder who will go after him. Angels could use a bat but I still don't think he'd be a good fit there specifically because he'd totally clog up the basepaths (plus I think they are going to spend big bucks to get there bat).

Mariners could use a DH with some pop and obviously Oakland could keep him or a team like the Orioles could go for a veteran. Truly I don't see that many teams in the AL that would really have the need for big Frank.

Both playoff teams in the AL Central could use a right handed power bat who takes a lot of walks.