I actually want Dave Roberts as our LF

joeynach

I am the only one who genually thinks it would be a good idea to sign Roberts. I mean dont get me wrong getting someone like Matthews Jr, Crawford, Wells, etc would outstanding, but from a realistic stand point whats wrong with roberts. I know those guys mentioned above are all stars but they are also pipe dreams. Getting roberts would fill our LF and leadoff hole both defesivly and offensivly. Especially since roberts hits lefties so well where we (pods) stuggled mightly last year. And he would be cheap something like 2 years 7 mil might get it done. I am alone on this train of thought?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
I dont agree, based on his age mostly. Lead off men tend to fade right about where Roberts is, not to mention the pitching in our division was ALOT tougher than what he faced last year.

You do realize that even for his age, 34 i think, his MLB service time is rather low. I think he broke in in 1999 which means hes played for 8 years in the league. Compare that to someone like Dye who is 32 but he will be going into his 11th year of service, he broke in in 1996. The points is hes older year but hes not as much as an aging veteran as you think, in reference to years played.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
You do realize that even for his age, 34 i think, his MLB service time is rather low. I think he broke in in 1999 which means hes played for 8 years in the league. Compare that to someone like Dye who is 32 but he will be going into his 11th year of service, he broke in in 1996. The points is hes older year but hes not as much as an aging veteran as you think, in reference to years played.

So his first ever baseball game played was in '99. Games in the minor leagues are less taxing, right. It's not like they have to sleep on buses or anythign.

Sorry man but I have to agree with Rock/Can on this too .Its a big risk signing a guy whos been prone to injury .Were not talking about a DH here ,this guy will be out every day that hes healthy running down flyballs in left field .Dont get me wrong it could work out but there are younger players with better track records health-wise .

Dont forget that the Sox have players to trade to get what we need which is whole lots compaired to most teams.

QUOTE(R.Sweeney @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 05:09 PM)
Sorry man but I have to agree with Rock/Can on this too .Its a big risk signing a guy whos been prone to injury .Were not talking about a DH here ,this guy will be out every day that hes healthy running down flyballs in left field .Dont get me wrong it could work out but there are younger players with better track records health-wise .

Dont forget that the Sox have players to trade to get what we need which is whole lots compaired to most teams.

sorry I meant a whole lot less than other teams. :chair

Guys that are constantly hurt during their prime playing years usually don't start getting and remaining healthy in their mid 30s. Roberts is better than Pods, but I doubt he'd be able to match the numbers he put up this past season if he signed with the White Sox. It would be acceptable to me if the Sox signed him and used their remaining available resources on pitching. A lot of people complained about the inconsistent offense this past season, but the White Sox scored 3 runs or less a lot fewer times than they did in 2005, and I believe scored 3 runs or less a lot less than any other team in baseball.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)

He's still playing all those other years in the minors. And you get wear and tear there just as much as you do at the major league level.

Dave Roberts -age 34.

2005 - BA .275 OBP .356

2006 - BA .293 OBP .360

sPods - age 30

2005 - BA .290 OBP .351

2006 - BA .261 OBP .330

Neither of these guys has what it takes to be a leadoff hitter in the big leagues. You should hit at least .300 with an OBP of .400.

QUOTE(easyw @ Nov 10, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
Neither of these guys has what it takes to be a leadoff hitter in the big leagues. You should hit at least .300 with an OBP of .400.

:o

And how many players in the major leagues can actually do that?

QUOTE(easyw @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
Dave Roberts -age 34.

2005 - BA .275 OBP .356

2006 - BA .293 OBP .360

sPods - age 30

2005 - BA .290 OBP .351

2006 - BA .261 OBP .330

lol

QUOTE(easyw @ Nov 9, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)

Why aim so low? They should ALWAYS get on base. That's right.. a 1.000 OBP. Anything less would be severely disappointing.

Edited by Felix

Maybe Roberts is our fourth outfielder... The way Ozzie rotates players, I don't think I'll sleep at night again knowing that Mackowiak is gonna be in center every third or fourth day again...

Plus, having some time off periodically would probably help him stay healthy. He's a great pinch runner. I can't imagine that he's gonna make the big bucks this season.

So sign him up...

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
You seem to be making jokes about Roberts age, yet Thome is two years OLDER....

I guess my point is, if you think Roberts is old at 34, I was interested in what you thought of Thome at 36...

Well for starters Thome is a proven player .He has been a great hitter his entire career and is also currently our DH .He has had multiple career years and didnt just crawl out of the woodwork with 1 productive season .

Roberts on the other hand is a different story .Hes an ageing outfielder known for speed .The reason I personally dont like the idea of getting him is his age and the length of contract hes looking for ,something like a 3 yr.. The Sox arent asking this guy to drive in runs from the DH role , they are looking for him to stay healthy ,get on base ,steal bases and score runs as well as play a solid outfield pos..

I feel theres a diff. between an ageing DH and an ageing OF .I dont deny what Roberts did last season but am very sceptical that he could do it again much less 3 more years .

I feel the Sox could find a much better fit for the lead-off spot than Roberts .

But thats just my opinion .No matter who they get Im still going to pull for them once the season starts.