PS3

IlliniKrush

I'll likely be buying one in 2-3 years when it's affordable. I'm still working through a huge backlog of good games I missed from the PS2/Cube/Xbox era, so I'm not sure I'm ready to go next-gen yet. With the exception of re-selling for profits, I really see no reason to buy any console at launch. The hardware is often questionable and there's usually only or two decent games out worth playing. The Wii is tempting, but the only launch game that catches my eye is Zelda TP which I can also get on Cube.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 06:53 AM)
then you've never played PC games... Quite the opposite. Think about the computing power of some of the best gaming PCs out there. They blow away a console.

they're literally toys in comparison

True. The best gaming PCs are several times more powerful than the consoles, but personally I've also always found the consoles to have a far better game library. Graphics are of secondary importance to me.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 07:21 AM)
As far as the PS3, I plan to buy it for the new Final Fantasy and because they are remaking FF7 with the revamed gameplay.

That's actually an unverified rumor that has persisted for years. I think they'll remake FFVII eventually, but it hasn't been announced yet. I hope they do because FFVII was one of my favorite PS1 games and would like to see it updated.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 05:50 AM)
I think people are overestimating the interest in the market for the PS3.

The number of "brow-beaten" moms and dads buying will be a lot less with that $600 price tag.

Two-three hundred bucks for a system is easier to drop down for the average parent than $600. Especially with many stores eliminating lay-away.

Also, I predict that the secondary market could be tougher in the turnaround than many of you who are looking for the fast buck, think.

This release is smaller than the Xbox360 release and those systems had no trouble selling for 1500 bucks on EBAY. Plus those systems really aren't priced too much different (200 bucks is a lot but when you consider for 200 bucks you get a BluRay DVD player...well thats value).

And I'm not saying many parents are going to buy it, but the video game market is growingly to include many adults and teens and young adults, most of which tend to have money laying around.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
Not that it's a huge price difference, but you can get a 20GB PS3 for "only" 500, that's what I'm going to go with as soon I sell either my car or my fiancee.

The only problem with the 500 PS3 is that it isn't wireless (internet wise) and that alone is worth the upgrade (plus the bigger hard-drive), imo. But than again I'm just reselling it anyways cause I'm probably gonna resell it, put most of the profits in the bank and than maybe buy a XB360.

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
That's actually an unverified rumor that has persisted for years. I think they'll remake FFVII eventually, but it hasn't been announced yet. I hope they do because FFVII was one of my favorite PS1 games and would like to see it updated.

It looks like more of a rumor to me. http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfanta...l?mode=previews

I've also seen it in Gameinformer Mag...it seemed like it was going to happen, and it was going to happen soon. But unfortunately I don't remember which magazine and I'm far too lazy to look.

But aside, FF7 is an amazing game. One of my favorites of all time, if not my favorite of all time. When I first got the game for Christmas years back, I flew through the game (if 75 hours is flying through) and didn't power my characters up enough to beat Sephiroth. I beat the first 2 sections of him, but he'd destroy me in phase three. I played it again last year, did all the side quests, easily topped 100 hours, got the Golden Chocobo and Knights of the Rounds and DESTROYED Sephiroth. It wasn't even fun. I even went back to fight without KOTR and still beat him up pretty good.

Side question, did you ever beat Ruby or Underwater Weapon? I got EVER SO CLOSE to beating Underwater once...but it took an extreme amount of luck on his attack sequence.

Edited by BobDylan

I played and finished FFVII for the first time about four years ago, and I did manage to beat both Weapons. I don't remember exactly how I did so but if I recall correctly I simply KOTR'd them to death in conjunction with the Mime and Auto-Revive materia. Beforehand I had tirelessly level grinded in Mideel and the Crater for hours on end until I had all three of my characters at level 100 and my materia was maxed out. At that point they were relatively easy. It's really simply a matter of building your characters up enough, but it takes a long time to do it.

FFVII is an awesome game, I need to replay it soon.

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 06:39 PM)
I played and finished FFVII for the first time about four years ago, and I did manage to beat both Weapons. I don't remember exactly how I did so but if I recall correctly I simply KOTR'd them to death in conjunction with the Mime and Auto-Revive materia. Beforehand I had tirelessly level grinded in Mideel and the Crater for hours on end until I had all three of my characters at level 100 and my materia was maxed out. At that point they were relatively easy. It's really simply a matter of building your characters up enough, but it takes a long time to do it.

I don't think I had auto-revive. I remember KOTR not working on Ruby Weapon. Also, my characters weren't level 100 (not even close), but most of my materia was maxed.

Check that, I did have auto revive.

Edited by BobDylan

If you don't have a preorder in and you want one on the release day you should probably plan on getting in line in a few hours. The ridiculously small amount of units available in the U.S. this weekend will be gone in a heartbeat.

Also, there are some pretty strong rumors going around that Fry's will only be selling the PS3 in a bundle. If you want one you'll also have to buy 8 games. They aren't publicizing it now, but associates had been sharing the info earlier this week.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
then you've never played PC games... Quite the opposite. Think about the computing power of some of the best gaming PCs out there. They blow away a console.

they're literally toys in comparison

Oh ive played the best of PC games for sure. But there are no PC games that can match certain games that come out for consoles only... And the controls play a big factor in it too. Plus on a computer your on a 17 inch screen or somewhere around that with good picture. With a console you can do it on a 46 inch screen.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
Oh ive played the best of PC games for sure. But there are no PC games that can match certain games that come out for consoles only... And the controls play a big factor in it too. Plus on a computer your on a 17 inch screen or somewhere around that with good picture. With a console you can do it on a 46 inch screen.

I have a 20 Inch Screen that I can get two feet in front of.. you'll go blind that close with a 46"

Name a console game that you can't get for PC? All console games flow smoothly onto the PC, but PC games suck on consoles because they're so limiting, i.e. Command and Conquer, Half-Life, Counter Strike.... Console games couldn't begin to compete with MMORPGs.

should I go on?

the controls for a PC can be used to type a document for a Presidential speech or the browse the internet to purchase plane tickets.... Consoles play dvds...woo!

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
I have a 20 Inch Screen that I can get two feet in front of.. you'll go blind that close with a 46"

Name a console game that you can't get for PC? All console games flow smoothly onto the PC

Stopped reading right there. There are numerous quality console games that are not on PC.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)

Name a console game that you can't get for PC? All console games flow smoothly onto the PC, but PC games suck on consoles because they're so limiting, i.e. Command and Conquer, Half-Life, Counter Strike.... Console games couldn't begin to compete with MMORPGs.

I'll tell you one thing...PC's may be good for a lot of things, but this PC has never been good for gaming. And I've tried. Bought it brand new, and right out of the box it was slow for some things, and as it has aged, it has gotten worse (I think I've said repeatedly that the CD drive hasn't worked in about a year, and it's only a 3 year old PC).

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 08:31 PM)
Stopped reading right there. There are numerous quality console games that are not on PC.

This isn't rhetoric class. Name a game or get off the pot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
I'll tell you one thing...PC's may be good for a lot of things, but this PC has never been good for gaming. And I've tried. Bought it brand new, and right out of the box it was slow for some things, and as it has aged, it has gotten worse (I think I've said repeatedly that the CD drive hasn't worked in about a year, and it's only a 3 year old PC).

what pc? what specs? that'll be the truth telling.

no one has brought up cost yet, and THAT'S where you win the argument. However, aside from that I'd rather spend 1500 bucks on a pc than 500 on a console.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
I know this is beside your point, but I've bought three ps2's and they all broke.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 5, 2006 -> 04:27 AM)
I despise the iPod. I've bought 3 and all of them broke in less than 3 months.

Either you are a liar or we're just lucky your PC operates frequently enough for you to post here.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
This isn't rhetoric class. Name a game or get off the pot.

what pc? what specs? that'll be the truth telling.

no one has brought up cost yet, and THAT'S where you win the argument. However, aside from that I'd rather spend 1500 bucks on a pc than 500 on a console.

Anyone that has ever been a "gamer" any time in their life flat out KNOWS -- it's common f***ing knowledge -- that the PC owns ANY console that has EVER hit the market.

Think about it folks. What is a gaming consule? A MINIATURE computer.

That said, the only reason I prefer the console over the PC for my gaming experiences is because I like to play on my couch in front of the T.V.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)
Either you are a liar or we're just lucky your PC operates frequently enough for you to post here.

f*** Sony, f*** Apple. :D

No, but seriously... I'm not lying. But it doesn't help that I've cracked the case open on all my ipods and all my ps2's. The first ps2 I had lasted the longest (a few years). The other two I bought were used. And I know I'm not the only one with a couple of broken iPod's lying around.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(Yoda @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
I might buy the X-BOX 360 before I even buy the PS3. That Gears of War game is to die for.

You took the words right out of my mouth. GoW and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter are worth the $400 right there. And the word is that there is going to be a Blu Ray add on to the 360 in the next month or so for $199. So Buy a 360 and wait on the Ps3.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 03:25 AM)
You took the words right out of my mouth. GoW and Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter are worth the $400 right there. And the word is that there is going to be a Blu Ray add on to the 360 in the next month or so for $199. So Buy a 360 and wait on the Ps3.

HD-DVD add-on, not blue-ray, I do believe.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)

Poser, you can only go to level 99 in the Final Fantasy world. :P

So, I went to Best Buy today to get something and I see a tent. Not even thinking about PS3 because it doesnt come out til Firday, I asked what the people were doing. There were 10 of them already camping out for the system.

I would kill for that kind of free time, and if I got it, I sure as hell wouldn't be camping out for a video game system.

Sony is in trouble.

November 13, 2006 - Weekend numbers are in for the PlayStation 3's Japanese debut, and they aren't pretty. Enterbrain, the publisher of Japan's Weekly Famitsu magazine, reports today that Sony managed to sell 88,400 PlayStation 3 units over the system's first two days. This number breaks down to 33,800 20GB models and 54,600 60GB models.

If you think those hardware numbers are low then check out these software figures: the best selling game over the period was Bandai Namco's Ridge Racer 7, which sold 30,300 copies. This was followed by Gundam Crossfire at 30,000 units and Resistance, at 15,700 units. Figures for Genji and SEGA Golf Club, the two other launch titles, were not provided.

Enterbrain reports a software-hardware tie ratio of 0.98, meaning less than one game purchased for every PS3 sold.

These numbers sound eerily similar to the Xbox 360's launch last year. In its first two days, the 360 managed sales of 62,135 hardware units, Enterbrain reported in the days following the launch. The biggest selling game then was Ridge Racer 6, with 29,891 units, followed by Perfect Dark Zero, at 14,897 units.

Of course, the PS3 was, for all intents and purposes, sold out within hours of launch, while Microsoft filled Japanese shops with 100,000 additional 360 units, which have only recently gotten around to selling. The 360 is, technically, the number one next-generation system in Japan at this point, but that will likely change once Sony gets another shipment out. Something that we expect will happen some time in 2007.

-IGN

They made most of their money in Japan. If they continue to put up sales numbers like that, all of its 3rd party support is going to go out the window.

Oh, and there are already tons of reports of hardware trouble with the PS3 Japan shipment. Well, that makes my decision easy.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 11:07 PM)
Sony is in trouble.

-IGN

They made most of their money in Japan. If they continue to put up sales numbers like that, all of its 3rd party support is going to go out the window.

Oh, and there are already tons of reports of hardware trouble with the PS3 Japan shipment. Well, that makes my decision easy.

There aren't many games out for the PS3. Of the games that are out now, I don't want any of them. Therefore I am not going to buy one until a game comes out that I want. Those include MGS4 and FF11.

QUOTE(SoxPhan7 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)

Here's the thing and your right, they are going to have an HDDVD add on for the Xbox but at that opint if you buy that you are at the same price as the PS3 and quite frankly the PS3 is a hands down better system if you are talking about the same price.

That said I'm still undecided but after playing gods of war on my buddies high def I got to admit its really impressive. Of course I just bought a 1080P TV so I'm thinking in a few months that bad boy would look awfully good hooked up to a blu ray PS3. Than again I could save the difference in cash, get a 360 on Overstock for like 15% off and wait a year and buy a blu ray for a hell of a lot less (that will probably be a lot better and will be done with the war hopefully over and all bluray/hddvd players being pretty much the same.