PS3

IlliniKrush

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sony will do everything it can to spike production after Christmas.

All they care about is a huge buzz, its not like they make any money off after retail sale. So for a few months they will artificially decrease supply while the demand is at its highest, hoping that the hype demand effect will push sales for the entire year.

Its a gamble, because generally Sony would want its highest supply at the highest time of demand, but they are trying to create a "buzz" and make PS3 a hot item, so that in a few months the people who were not dieing to get a PS3 are not chosing Wii or Xbox 360.

$600 is still a lot for a gaming console and in my opinion that is why Sony is keeping supply low. They want people to see outrageous prices on ebay etc and say "$600 is cheap."

In Japan the cheaper Ps3 has already been dropped by $100, it will be interesting to see after Christmas if it does the same in the US. Over the long term Sony will be hurt by the high price, they are just trying to see how many they can sell at the highest point.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
readily available?

people will still be paying close to 1k for a while thanks to sony cutting their numbers quite a bit

yes readily available. Check out xbox 360 right now, I can grab one for you down the road if you like.

If you guys wanna buy an Xbox 360 for $299(premium) or $199(core system) check out this new store taht just opened....Micro Center, they have a web site but the price is not valid online because it is a mail in rebate thing. I got an ad from their stores sometime this week and thought I would share with you guys.

they only have 2 stores in Illinois.

Chicago

Riverfront Plaza

Chicago, Il 60647 773 292 1700

or just check them out at microcenter.com

Edited by chisoxdavid

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I wasn't reading 6 pages........

Does the PS3 play games from the previous versions? Or are all PS2 games obselete on the PS3?

It will play PS2 games as well.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
Sorry if this has already been answered, but I wasn't reading 6 pages........

Does the PS3 play games from the previous versions? Or are all PS2 games obselete on the PS3?

It will play most of them. There's about 200 of them that they are still having problems with that Sony is working on a patch for...

Edited by Iwritecode

Just curious, did anyone actually buy one to play it lol. I don't have much interest since I hardly play my PS2 (except some sports games once in a while), but was near the Schaumburg store, and was thinking of stopping by to ebay it up (I wonder how many of the $3000 bids were even real. Yeah, time/life constraints, but if you want a buggy one at launch so bad, I'd think you'd probably camp out)

The smart people went to Meijer. Since the store is open 24hours, you could 'camp out' inside, and they ended up giving up vouchers to everyone early.

FWIW....sounds like Sony is taking a hit on every console....makes you wonder when is too much too much......

It was clear that the cost of producing PS3 units were high for Sony, forcing the company to charge $600 per unit, but now we know exactly how high. Next-gen.biz has offered a full analysis of Sony's expenses. As it turns out, Sony is losing $306.85 for each 20GB system sold and $241.35 for every 60GB system.

The full production cost for a 20GB system is a whopping $805.85, with the 60 GB coming in at $840.35. Chief among the expenses are the RSX graphics chip at $129 and the Blu-Ray optical drive at $125. In contrast, the $400 Xbox 360 only costs $323.30. For the first time in its five-year console publishing history, Microsoft is making a profit on each system sold.

QUOTE(juddling @ Nov 18, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
FWIW....sounds like Sony is taking a hit on every console....makes you wonder when is too much too much......

It was clear that the cost of producing PS3 units were high for Sony, forcing the company to charge $600 per unit, but now we know exactly how high. Next-gen.biz has offered a full analysis of Sony's expenses. As it turns out, Sony is losing $306.85 for each 20GB system sold and $241.35 for every 60GB system.

The full production cost for a 20GB system is a whopping $805.85, with the 60 GB coming in at $840.35. Chief among the expenses are the RSX graphics chip at $129 and the Blu-Ray optical drive at $125. In contrast, the $400 Xbox 360 only costs $323.30. For the first time in its five-year console publishing history, Microsoft is making a profit on each system sold.

Did you happen to find out how much it costs to make the games they are selling for $60 a pop?

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
Did you happen to find out how much it costs to make the games they are selling for $60 a pop?

i didn't see that in the story but it did mention how the retailers are also taking a bath on the consoles but they make pretty decent money on the games and other add-ons. i would assume that THAT is where Sony is going to make their money as well.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 17, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)
I already got a 1600 dollar offer for one of mine, we're going to see if we can get more though(ya I'm greedy).

I hate you :P

If only I could of got one to make some money off of the boobs who have to be first on their block.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Nov 19, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)
Anyone played one of these yet? I am curious how it stacks up against a 360. Any insight would be helpful.

The controller is similar to that of the Wii in that you can move it around to do controls, the graphics are superior, and it runs on blue ray so you can start buying the next generation of stuff instead of DvD's. Really it depends what games you like too, if your a diehard halo fan and love deadrising/gears of war than the 360 is your system. If you love Final Fantasy and than there are a few amazing games for ps3 like Dark Kingdom(an mmorpg), Resistance: fall of man(like during world war times but fighting aliens.. kind of like ps3's version of Gears.), or this pimp ass dragon game i cant remember the name of.