Mark Mulder

NCsoxfan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
He is only 29, and wont turn 30 until August...

And people are saying he is washed up!!

Some of this is just from my eyes. He has not been the same pitcher to me since the end of the 2003 season. And he's gone downhill further each year since then.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
MARK MULDER WILL NOT SIGN FOR ANYTHING LESS THAN $14M OVER 2 YEARS, HE'S NOT GOING TO TURN DOWN ~$12M OF GUARANTEED MONEY FROM THE RANGERS/CARDINALS JUST TO PLAY FOR THE SOX. $14M over 2 IS INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE FOR A PLAYER WHO'S AS BIG OF A QUESTION MARK AS MULDER IS.

Why do you say that with such certainty? Mulder DID grow up a Sox fan, and he wouldn't be the first person in recent years to turn down more money from the Rangers to play for the White Sox (Dye).

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
Why do you say that with such certainty? Mulder DID grow up a Sox fan, and he wouldn't be the first person in recent years to turn down more money from the Rangers to play for the White Sox (Dye).

Lets say Mulder has a 2 year $12M offer on the table from the Cardinals, what kind of discount do you suppose he would accept to come to Chicago? An equal offer of $12M or maybe $10M? If he would accept a 2 year $12M deal from the Sox why the hell would they do that? Why would the Sox want to pay Mulder $4M in '07 to play 3 months and $8M in '08 to such a huge question mark?

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)

Dye had already agreed to play for less money when offered more by the Rangers and stuck by his word to the Sox.

There's no way in hell Dye would've come here for less if he had been offered more FIRST by the Rangers.

ESPN.

The agent for free agent pitcher Mark Mulder said that the Cleveland Indians, Texas Rangers and St. Louis Cardinals are the three finalists for the injured left-hander, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Friday.

Mulder's agent, Gregg Clifton, told the newspaper that Indians GM Mark Shapiro was due to meet with Mulder on Friday, but that the meeting was delayed because Mulder is just returning from a honeymoon in Tahiti.

"Mark Shapiro does a great job selling what the Cleveland Indians have to offer," Clifton told the Plain Dealer. "I think he's in a good spot to get Mulder to come to Cleveland."

Mulder, 29, is looking for a two-year deal as he recovers from rotator cuff surgery on his left shoulder. He was 6-7 in 17 starts last season for the Cardinals before having surgery. He has a career record of 103-57 and a 4.11 ERA in seven major-league seasons with the Cardinals and Oakland Athletics.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)

This is called gamesmanship from the agent. I dont really want to go to Cleveland, St Louis, please give me a little more money and I will stay. His best chance at a huge contract in 2 years, is to get healthy and pitching against NL opponents.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HA! Who is the last big name free agent to sign in Cleveland? Hell who is the last big pending FA that Cleveland had who stuck around?

I wouldn't call him a "big name" free agent, in fact his situation is somewhat similar to Kevin Millwood's.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
I wouldn't call him a "big name" free agent, in fact his situation is somewhat similar to Kevin Millwood's.

Which you have to believe is exactly what Shapiro is trying to sell to Mulder and his agent...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
Which you have to believe is exactly what Shapiro is trying to sell to Mulder and his agent...

Of course...the only problem with that...Cleveland's asking for an option year/2 year deal as well, when Millwood managed to get a 1 year deal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
Of course...the only problem with that...Cleveland's asking for an option year/2 year deal as well, when Millwood managed to get a 1 year deal.

Well, because of Mulder's timeline, I don't think there is any team out there that would be willing to give him a 1-year deal. Not now anyway. If Mulder were to demand a 1-year deal, IMO, he would have to wait until he was closer to being healthy before he got a deal, or take a 1-year deal for basically nothing- all incentives-based which he likely could not reach. From what I have heard, he actually wants a 2 year-deal. Most people seem to believe that in any deal with Mulder, it would be the second year that would be the valuable year for the team, not this year.

• 2 weeks later...

2 yrs, $13M guaranteed to resign with the Cardinals.

That's $4.33M to pitch 3 months in '07 and $8.67M for the '08 if you break it down in monthly earnings. That's just the guaranteed money, he can earn up to $45M over 3 years if he manages 30 starts in '07 and '08 which he will not do. This has a very good chance of being a major waste of money.

Considering the market its not too bad of a move if they are fairly confident he can get healthy. The guy was one of the better left handed pitchers in all of baseball when healthy and is still relatively young.

The Cards have money and I think this is a good move, especially since I think in 08 (if healthy) at 8 mill bucks you have a bargain. Of course by taking that chance you also have the risk that he stinks (but heck I'd rather have him than Ted Lilly or Gil Meche and those guys are getting more and already stink, even when healthy).