Meche signs 5 year deal with Royals

Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:23 PM)
Money isn't disclosed yet, but Gil Meche is going to the Royals with a 5 year deal.

Unless he's getting like $4 million a year, I take back every compliment I've given to the new Royals GM. This deal = insanity for that team.

oh, it's around 10m a year I believe

Wow...5 years for a guy as prone to injury as Meche. He has a great arm but this is a confusing move. Of course if they spin him off for prospects later on in the year I buy into it but wow not a fan of this one.

Than again I at least tip my hat to the Royals for spending money (I just think they could do it wiser).

And ... they've released Runelvys Hernandez.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:33 PM)
I heard 55 mil from a royals fan...

Gil Meche’s five-year deal with the Royals will be worth $55 million-$60 million, the Kansas City Star reports.

Incredible. Meche will lead a Kansas City rotation also set to include Odalis Perez. Brian Bannister and Luke Hudson will be the heavy favorites for the next two spots, with Jorge De La Rosa and Zack Greinke among those likely to battle it out for the remaining opening.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
Wow. What a complete waste of money, and the release of Hernandez just blows my mind. He had zero value?

Here's the rotoworld blip:

According to the Kansas City Star, the Royals have decided to release Runelvys Hernandez.

It makes sense, as he’s definitely less necessary with Gil Meche on the way and Brian Bannister in the fold. Hernandez could have been due $1.5 million-$2 million in arbitration.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 12:52 PM)
Still, wouldn't the guy have had trade value for a prospect of some kind? I know the guy had injury issues and all, but still.

I seem to recall him pitching a pretty dominant game against us. Should we give this guy a call?

What I do not understand is that they are a club that has to be very careful when it comes to their budget and they go out and sign Meche. I know the exact dollar amount has not been released yet, but we all know the range it will be in. I expect a team that has money, like the Cubs to overspend, but I did not expect it from the Royals.

I think this will be a deal you can add to the list of - Come back to bite me in the ass 2006 Free Agent deals.

Edited by Soxman72

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
What I do not understand is that they are a club that has to be very careful when it comes to their budget and they go out and sign Meche. I know the exact dollar amount has not been released yet, but we all know the range it will be in. I expect a team that has money, like the Cubs to overspend, but I did not expect it from the Royals.

I think this will be a deal you can add to the list of - Come back to bite me in the ass 2006 Free Agent deals.

Based entirely on the team that is writing the deal and their total salary ($47 million to start the season last year), I feel I have no problem in saying this is the worst deal that will be written this offseason. It will take Meche turning into Johan for that deal to make sense for the Royals.

The Royals will now have something like 1/3 of their entire salary for next season tied up in Mike Sweeney and Gil Meche.