Free Agent Pitchers Next year

sox-r-us

I know every time we talk about Garcia, Buerhle, people always bring up how they are basically 1 yr rentals who will be FAs next year.

In order to give an idea to everyone on who the top FA pitchers are next year, and hence what kind of market there would be for someone like Garcia or Buerhle (both of who are far younger than RJ, Schilling, Smoltz), can we pin this for reference to all while the hot stove continues for the next month or so? (And if there are some key ones missing, feel free to add of course, or remove if some get signed long term):

Carlos Zambrano

John Smoltz

Mark Buehrle

Jason Jennings

Freddy Garcia

Doug Davis

Curt Schilling

Randy Johnson

Jon Lieber

Jake Westbrook

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
I don't think there's anyway the Cubs allow Carlos Zambrano to hit the open market, though it would definately be best for him if he did. Imagine the killing he could make in free agency.

If he ever hit free agency, he's a player I'd want the Sox to throw billions of dollars at.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
If he ever hit free agency, he's a player I'd want the Sox to throw billions of dollars at.

I would have to agree with you on that one, I believe he's right up there with Johan talent wise (nowhere near as smart of a pitcher however) and if he could harness his stuff, fine tune his control and calm the f*** down he should win some hardware in the near future.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)

Where there is no way that I can't deny that he is an absolute horse, and ace of most any staff....

I wouldnt want him anywhere close to the Southside. Much along the same lines as Freddy, he puts his stats and himself well before any team achievement. If a CF misplays a ball, I don't want 3 walks and 5 unearned runs to follow just because of lost concentration and frustration over teammates.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
Where there is no way that I can't deny that he is an absolute horse, and ace of most any staff....

I wouldnt want him anywhere close to the Southside. Much along the same lines as Freddy, he puts his stats and himself well before any team achievement. If a CF misplays a ball, I don't want 3 walks and 5 unearned runs to follow just because of lost concentration and frustration over teammates.

He's a psycho and a douche bag, but I don't care. The guy is one of the best pitchers in all of baseball and is still young. Like I said, I'd throw billions at him.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
The guy is a big game pitcher and a horse. Is he even 26 yet? If Petitte can get $16M for one year, Zambrano will get well over $20M. He could rival A-Rod with the goofiness of his contract. Say what you want but he could be the best pitcher in baseball bar none by the end of this season.

That belongs to Santana and will for a while.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
The guy is a big game pitcher and a horse. Is he even 26 yet? If Petitte can get $16M for one year, Zambrano will get well over $20M. He could rival A-Rod with the goofiness of his contract. Say what you want but he could be the best pitcher in baseball bar none by the end of this season.

Easy now. I will take Santana and the Toronto ace before him.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)

If all these guys hit the market next year, I could see the contracts becoming realistic again.

Carlos Zambrano fears the DH. Look at his career numbers in AL parks. He's terrible.

He's great and all, but part of his game is walking or hitting batters to face the defensive-minded catcher with a .200 AVG batting 8th, and then the gimmie out in the pitcher.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 05:07 PM)
Carlos Zambrano fears the DH. Look at his career numbers in AL parks. He's terrible.

He's great and all, but part of his game is walking or hitting batters to face the defensive-minded catcher with a .200 AVG batting 8th, and then the gimmie out in the pitcher.

I think he'd be able to adjust to life in the AL if/when he matures mentally, but who knows when that could happen, if ever?

Also keep in mind that he started to have a few injury issues last year (back and arm).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
If Zambrano does resign with the Cubs, he better take them for every penny and not leave any money on the table elsewhere. I'm talking at least 5-6 years at $17-20 per season.

It was in the Trib a few weeks back that Zambrano would be looking for a 6 year $15M ($90M) per deal which really doesn't make sense to me. Zambrano could easily get a larger contract than Zito from someone next offseason, why would he settle for any less than a $110M contract?

Ozzie Guillen was Zambrano's idle growing up in Venezuala. Since it seems like they are saving there pennies this offseason, maybe they can attempt to bring Zambrano across town?!? And if they re-sign Buerhle our rotation would be awesome! Where would the money come from? Well from saving money this offseason AND not re-signing J. Dye and probably trading Vazquez during NEXT offseason.

Buerhle, Zambrano, Garland, Contreras, McCarthy..... niiiicce! okay so it wont happen and there is a very good chance buerhle leaves! DAMN!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 02:19 AM)
I don't think there's anyway the Cubs allow Carlos Zambrano to hit the open market, though it would definately be best for him if he did. Imagine the killing he could make in free agency.

He could hire someone to surf the internet for p0rn, for him!

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
It was in the Trib a few weeks back that Zambrano would be looking for a 6 year $15M ($90M) per deal which really doesn't make sense to me. Zambrano could easily get a larger contract than Zito from someone next offseason, why would he settle for any less than a $110M contract?

He won't. The article was written a few weeks ago before the market really became insane. Also, it was written in the Trib. What better way to make Zambrano look selfish then to throw a number out there and then watch him ask for a ton more.

Bob