2007 Payroll Projection

joeynach

salarywa7.jpg

Ok my new payroll projection, I corrected my Math error shows us at about 98 Mil as of right now. That leaves very little, only about 2 Mil give or take to perhaps get a backup catcher and perhaps 1 bullpen arm. I dont know what to make of our budget and if we are still going to spend anymore.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just for the record, when the press and GMs talk about payroll I don't think they include cash they received from other teams.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm pretty sure they do, and also buyouts are counted towards last year's payroll.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
So, does the $90 million payroll include money coming from the Diamondbacks(Yankees) for Vasquez, and Phillies for Thome ?

In addition, with MacDougle signing, what does the payroll increase to ?

Nothing really 300K i plugged in 1.2 Mil for Mcdougal for 07 then today it was announced he'll make 1.5 Mil. Not a bad estimate on my part.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 10:18 PM)
So, does the $90 million payroll include money coming from the Diamondbacks(Yankees) for Vasquez, and Phillies for Thome ?

In addition, with MacDougle signing, what does the payroll increase to ?

Yes it inlcudes the money from Dbacks and Phillies that is the cash in.

joeynach,

When I did an estimate mine came to around $107 million before deducting about $8-9 million from Thome/Vazquez deals.

When I use your numbers and add them up I come up with $107.25. Where are you getting $98.85?

Using your numbers it should be $107.25 and $98.75. Your off by $8.4 million unless I am completely missing something.

You can probably plug Floyd into the bullpen spot instead of the veteran for $1.5.

Cheat did an estimate at SSS and he came up with $98.15 after the cash deductions, so with the modified numbers you both look very similar.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 9, 2006 -> 02:49 AM)
joeynach,

When I did an estimate mine came to around $107 million before deducting about $8-9 million from Thome/Vazquez deals.

When I use your numbers and add them up I come up with $107.25. Where are you getting $98.85?

Using your numbers it should be $107.25 and $98.75. Your off by $8.4 million unless I am completely missing something.

You can probably plug Floyd into the bullpen spot instead of the veteran for $1.5.

Cheat did an estimate at SSS and he came up with $98.15 after the cash deductions, so with the modified numbers you both look very similar.

You are absolutly right my spreadsheet sum was wrong becuase i put those stars on the estimated numbers so it didn't total those in. So i fixed it now and I just updated the orignal post to reflect the changes it should be right now.

Edited by joeynach

I love the outgoing numbers but can we get a thread/post going on the income?

3million attendence*30= 90mill

stadium rev? parking? concessions?

TV rev?

670 rev=?

mlb.com rev?

I just would like to have a better idea of the money they have coming in before i comment on spending.

In proportion to MLB gross revenue, salaries have actually been declining.

Year... Gross Revenue... Player Salaries... Pct

1992... 1,200,000,000...... 805,543,323... 67%

2006... 5,200,000,000... 2,322,299,617... 45%

Revenues are up 4.3 times, team salaries only 2.9. Coming off a World Series year, White Sox 2006 salaries were up 3.4 times over the 3rd place 1992 team. Were the Sox to increase salaries to the 1992 MLB ratio the budget would be about $129 Million.

Carping over the high cost of players is baloney, there is more money in baseball than ever before. Is it bad that some of the growth money goes to the players, who are the reason you go to the park, or would you prefer it stays in the owners pockets?

Revenues quoted from MLB.Com, salaries are from BaseBall Reference.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 08:01 AM)
In proportion to MLB gross revenue, salaries have actually been declining.

Year... Gross Revenue... Player Salaries... Pct

1992... 1,200,000,000...... 805,543,323... 67%

2006... 5,200,000,000... 2,322,299,617... 45%

Revenues are up 4.3 times, team salaries only 2.9. Coming off a World Series year, White Sox 2006 salaries were up 3.4 times over the 3rd place 1992 team. Were the Sox to increase salaries to the 1992 MLB ratio the budget would be about $129 Million.

Carping over the high cost of players is baloney, there is more money in baseball than ever before. Is it bad that some of the growth money goes to the players, who are the reason you go to the park, or would you prefer it stays in the owners pockets?

Revenues quoted from MLB.Com, salaries are from BaseBall Reference.

wow... thanks for that information.

I guess that just proves that there is a ton of money still going in all the owners pockets. So if say in 92 they broke even that means 33% operating costs outside of salaries. This is probably way down from that figure now... but that would mean @1.7bill in operating costs + 2.3 bill for salaries. That means 1.2 billion leftover for the owners to split which would be 40million a club.

QUOTE(Pods20 @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
I love the outgoing numbers but can we get a thread/post going on the income?

3million attendence*30= 90mill

stadium rev? parking? concessions?

TV rev?

670 rev=?

mlb.com rev?

I just would like to have a better idea of the money they have coming in before i comment on spending.

Thats a tough thing to estimate. First of all I beleive the radio deal was for something like 2.5 to 3 Mil, the TV deal is much larger and I dont know the specifics, its not exactly public information. 7 Eleven also pays the sox 500K for the new time change. The other revenue you have to estimate, you say like $30 for a ticket, $17 for parking, $20 per person for food and perhaps $10 for souvaneirs at best. I still dont know you just have to estimate and take into account too many factors. Like not everyone pays for parking, not everyone buys beer, blah blah.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Dec 10, 2006 -> 01:16 PM)
Thats a tough thing to estimate. First of all I beleive the radio deal was for something like 2.5 to 3 Mil, the TV deal is much larger and I dont know the specifics, its not exactly public information. 7 Eleven also pays the sox 500K for the new time change. The other revenue you have to estimate, you say like $30 for a ticket, $17 for parking, $20 per person for food and perhaps $10 for souvaneirs at best. I still dont know you just have to estimate and take into account too many factors. Like not everyone pays for parking, not everyone buys beer, blah blah.

true... I just want to know if someone has a some "real" figures

The following link goes to a Forbes article on valuation of major league teams.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/33/Value_1.html

The article came out earlier this year and uses 2005 income figures.

You can drill down into some interesting information, compare teams, etc.

Still, I'd like to have more detail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More info from the Forbes article... (the numbers below are 2005 numbers)

Team Value1 $315 mil (#18)

Wins-to-player-cost ratio7 140

1-Yr Value Chg. 20%

Ann. Value Chg.2 12%

Debt/Value3 11%

Revenue $157 mil

Operating Income4 $21.7 mil

Player Expenses5 $86 mil

Gate Receipts6 $51 mil

Revenues and operating income are for 2005 season and include baseball's revenue sharing and payroll tax.

1Value of team based on current stadium deal (unless new stadium is pending) without deduction for debt (other than stadium debt).

2Current team value compared with latest transaction price.

3Includes stadium debt.

4Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization.

5Includes benefits and bonuses.

6Includes club seats.

7Compares the number of wins per player payroll relative to the rest of the MLB. Postseason wins count twice as much as regular season wins. A score of 120 means that the team achieved 20% more victories per dollar of payroll compared with the league average.

NA: Not applicable.

Edited by scenario