Blue Jays, Wells agree on $126M deal

RME JICO

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a salary cap, ultimately, would help baseball. I would hate, as a fan, to be in the AL East. I believe with greater parity, ala the NFL, there will be more fan interest. It is funny to read on Minny, Det, and KC sites that we are trying to "buy" the division with our huge payroll.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 12:40 PM)
I think a salary cap, ultimately, would help baseball. I would hate, as a fan, to be in the AL East. I believe with greater parity, ala the NFL, there will be more fan interest. It is funny to read on Minny, Det, and KC sites that we are trying to "buy" the division with our huge payroll.

Meanwhile you have half of this board crying like Yankees fans about being poor on a $100 million payroll.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 01:11 PM)
Meanwhile you have half of this board crying like Yankees fans about being poor on a $100 million payroll.

I can't speak for anyone else but the thing that bothers me is the KW quotes and the Cowley story that suggest/say that the Sox won't resign any of our pitchers (ie Buehrle) for being too expensive. That is cheap.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
I can't speak for anyone else but the thing that bothers me is the KW quotes and the Cowley story that suggest/say that the Sox won't resign any of our pitchers (ie Buehrle) for being too expensive. That is cheap.

I would say it's an intelligent way to view an overinflated marketplace, but then again, that's just me. If pitchers are getting contracts that are more than the performance of those pitchers will justify, then you're killing yourself if you decide to play that market for more than a bare minimum of players.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)

The bottom line determines if a team is cheap, not individual players. They can't resign everyone because we aren't the Yankees and can't afford a $150 million payroll. If they are paying out what they take in, they aren't cheap.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 01:29 PM)
The bottom line determines if a team is cheap, not individual players. They can't resign everyone because we aren't the Yankees and can't afford a $150 million payroll. If they are paying out what they take in, they aren't cheap.

Nor does an article mean we aren't re-signing anyone.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)

I think it has more to do with the length o f the contracts not so much the money he has a problem with. Remember JR approved a market breaking deal with Albert Belle. He got burned with long deals to Britt burns, Richard Dotson and Floyd Bannister soon after his group bought the team. They are smart not to give long term deals to pitchers they rarely work out. The trick is to keep young, pitcher rotating through the team to keep winning. We'll see if KW can do it but I like the philosophy (of course communism is good in theory also why does everyone need to be so greedy.)

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
I think it has more to do with the length o f the contracts not so much the money he has a problem with. Remember JR approved a market breaking deal with Albert Belle. He got burned with long deals to Britt burns, Richard Dotson and Floyd Bannister soon after his group bought the team. They are smart not to give long term deals to pitchers they rarely work out. The trick is to keep young, pitcher rotating through the team to keep winning. We'll see if KW can do it but I like the philosophy (of course communism is good in theory also why does everyone need to be so greedy.)

With today's marketplace, and the cost of pitching, IMO you need to keep 2 young starters in the rotation at all times to compensate for what your top of the rotation guys will be paid. Nowadays its pretty feasible to think that your rotation will cost you upwards of 50 million per year, maybe more. If you have 17, 15, 13, for your top three guys (maybe more) then your other two better be in arb years or pre-arb years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
I feel sorry for Wells, he had to take the contract, but he just sealed his fate of never getting a chance to play in a World Series.

I don't feel sorry for someone that just signed a $126M deal. Not at all.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
I feel sorry for Wells, he had to take the contract, but he just sealed his fate of never getting a chance to play in a World Series.

Then it's his job to make sure they get there.

Seriously though, no matter how many players the Yankees and Red Sox buy, if Toronto is smarter about how they spend their money than either of those 2 teams (which isn't all that hard), then they can still hit wild cards, and maybe even challenge with the division (if Frank, Doc Halladay, and Burnett stay healthy, and they find another starting pitcher, they have a shot this year)

Roto:

With Vernon Wells locked up, the Blue Jays will consider trading Alex Rios, ESPN's Buster Olney reports.

The Jays tried to trade Rios for Paul Maholm a year ago. Fortunately for them, the Pirates turned down the offer (bad GMs have a way of cancelling each other out sometimes). Rios went on to have his breakthough season, albeit one interriupted by a staph infection, and has a lot more value now. The Blue Jays shouldn't think about parting with him for anything less than a rising star pitcher with a similar amount of service time. We'd argue that Rios, being four years away from free agency, is worth even more in trade than Wells was a few days ago. Olney suggests that the Mets might be a match with Lastings Milledge and Aaron Heilman. That's the kind of pairing that might tempt the Jays.

Nabbing Rios would make this offseason complete. I don't think we can afford to give up the necessary parts though.

Olney mentions potential trades in his article. He seems to think Brad Penny, Joe Blanton, or a package of prospects from the Mets would be an equal package. Some other article mentioned that the Jays are looking for merely a 3rd or 4th starter in return for Rios. I don't think it would require BMac, but it would require one of our other starters, which is probably equally impossible at this point.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
It's going to cost BMac to start so no, Rios will not be playing for the Sox next season.

I dont think thats right at all. It seems to me like they could only hope for a back of the rotation guy, maybe even a decent pitching spect to plug in there.