Some Duke rape case updates

EvilMonkey

I hope Nifong is investigated thoroughly.

I sorta feel that its inevitable that DA's, like Nifon, will abuse their power if given the opportunity and means. I'm glad it became clear that this guy wasn't going to be able to get away with it. I know there's a lot of complaints about our criminal justice system (too much protection of civil liberties), but I feel like we need those protections. Otherwise, we'd have State's Attorneys like Mike Nifong all over the country.

Nifong clearly abused his authority. Our system sucks because he got away with it for so long. But the good thing is that these kids weren't convicted, jailed, imprisoned for this bulls***. I know its a weird way to look at it right now, but the system does do a decent (albeit imperfect) job of protecting the truly innocent from being falsely convicted.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Dec 22, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
I hope Nifong is investigated thoroughly.

I sorta feel that its inevitable that DA's, like Nifon, will abuse their power if given the opportunity and means. I'm glad it became clear that this guy wasn't going to be able to get away with it. I know there's a lot of complaints about our criminal justice system (too much protection of civil liberties), but I feel like we need those protections. Otherwise, we'd have State's Attorneys like Mike Nifong all over the country.

Nifong clearly abused his authority. Our system sucks because he got away with it for so long. But the good thing is that these kids weren't convicted, jailed, imprisoned for this bulls***. I know its a weird way to look at it right now, but the system does do a decent (albeit imperfect) job of protecting the truly innocent from being falsely convicted.

Well, I'm not going to put a ton of merit in those charges, but it's probably too early to say that the kids won't be jailed. They are still facing some pretty serious charges on the kidnapping/sexual assault part, and the DNA evidence that seems to exonerate the kids from the rape charges might not be nearly as useful in exonerating the kids from a potential kidnapping charge.

And as always, there are unintended consequences of really going after the DA. It makes other DAs leery of aggressively prosecuting other possible criminals. Then the pendulum swings the other way and there is public outrage when a DA decides he doesn't have enough evidence to prosecute because he fears they will throw the book at him if he doesn't get a conviction.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
And as always, there are unintended consequences of really going after the DA. It makes other DAs leery of aggressively prosecuting other possible criminals. Then the pendulum swings the other way and there is public outrage when a DA decides he doesn't have enough evidence to prosecute because he fears they will throw the book at him if he doesn't get a conviction.

So the DA gets a pass?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 26, 2006 -> 04:39 AM)
So the DA gets a pass?

I don't think he's saying that.

I think he's trying to get people to have forethought before clamoring for something. As the late, great HL Mencken quipped "The American people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

I'm all for Nifong getting his balls nailed to a post for this one if he did hide exculpatory evidence. DA's hiding evidence and going for convictions for political purposes, etc. I hate to springboard -- but this human/greed aspect is one of the reasons that there are plenty questioning the government's assertions in regards to indefinite detainees and also questioning the system of capital punishment. If it can happen in this case with this DA, who is to say that it is not happening elsewhere? If it is, can we truly be comfortable with the death penalty and indefinite detention?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,239797,00.html

Nifong may be off the case due to ethics charges against him.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 25, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)

This is different. This guy ruined the lives of these 3 boys and continues to do so for no other reason than his own political gain. He blatantly pandered to the black community fior votes by using a case that should have been tossed out and a "victim" who has told 15 different stories about what happened. This guy needs to be busted out of his job and clapped in irons.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP****

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,243063,00.html

The dirty, lying tramp changes her story again.

How long is this travesty of a case going to go on?

How much longer are these innocent boys going to have these false accusations hanging over their heads?

DROP ALL CHARGES NOW!!!!!

Nuke did you see that black Panther idiot on the O'Reily show a few days ago? He says he isn't sorry for a clip they showed of him getting a bunch of racist sheep to chant "guilty" about the charges against the Duke players right after the chargers were filed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni66JEutyjo

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 13, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Nuke did you see that black Panther idiot on the O'Reily show a few days ago? He says he isn't sorry for a clip they showed of him getting a bunch of racist sheep to chant "guilty" about the charges against the Duke players right after the chargers were filed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni66JEutyjo

Contrary to most people's belief, I dont watch O'reilly that much. However, some of his guests are good for a laugh like this bonehead.

LOL!!!

• 2 weeks later...