Inflatable Christmas yard displays

thedoctor

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
My daughter loves them, and since the whole Christmas thing is way more about her than it is about me, I'm okay with them.

i hear ya. on more than one occasion my daughter has said, "daddy, daddy, look at that, can we get one?"

i'll usually pause, summon up my best dad voice and say, "too expensive. i'll buy you a car."

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:28 PM)
i hear ya. on more than one occasion my daughter has said, "daddy, daddy, look at that, can we get one?"

i'll usually pause, summon up my best dad voice and say, "too expensive. i'll buy you a car."

HAHAHA, excellent!

And don't get me wrong, just because I'm okay with them doesn't mean I'm BUYING any!!!

LOL!!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
My daughter loves them, and since the whole Christmas thing is way more about her than it is about me, I'm okay with them.

OH MY GOD!!! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!! CRITIC HAS A TEENY WEENY BIT OF CHRISTMAS CHEER IN THAT HEART OF HIS THAT IS TWO SIZES TOO SMALL!!!

:P

My a-hole neighbor spent - no lie - the month of November erecting his Christmas decorations. On December 1, my wife came home and he had a sandwich board on the curb announcing "Lighting Ceremony Tonight! 6:30pm Sharp." When I got home about an hour after the ceremony, the cul-de-sac was full with him, his a-hole family, and three neighbor families. They were all looking at the house when I pulled into my driveway.

OK, his house looks nice, but not really any nicer than mine. It took me about 6 hours total over 2 days to string my trees, put up two stories of icicle lights, some candy cane lights, a small manger scene, an *ahem* iflatable snow globe, and wreath on my door. Six hours vs. one month. And I'm not exagerrating when I say he was out there for about four hours four days a week.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

Around here we have hundreds of thousands of retirees. Store bought decorations?! Too expensive. They collect their garbage all year and figure out how to light it up. My favorite was the 8oz clear drink glasses, glued together and lights stuck inside like a giant lighted ornament. I've seen beer can santas, soda bottle elves, and more coffee filter snowflakes than I can count.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
My favorite was the 8oz clear drink glasses, glued together and lights stuck inside like a giant lighted ornament.

My Grandma bought / received as a gift one of those. Most God-awful ugliest thing I've ever seen!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)

in other words... "I hate them but my bratty kid likes them and my nagging wife made me go to home depot to pick three up, and I spent 4 hours of my day off wrestling with the foot pump and my dog that can't stop humping my leg"

:D we feel your pain...unspoken or otherwise

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 10:46 PM)
My a-hole neighbor spent - no lie - the month of November erecting his Christmas decorations. On December 1, my wife came home and he had a sandwich board on the curb announcing "Lighting Ceremony Tonight! 6:30pm Sharp." When I got home about an hour after the ceremony, the cul-de-sac was full with him, his a-hole family, and three neighbor families. They were all looking at the house when I pulled into my driveway.

OK, his house looks nice, but not really any nicer than mine. It took me about 6 hours total over 2 days to string my trees, put up two stories of icicle lights, some candy cane lights, a small manger scene, an *ahem* iflatable snow globe, and wreath on my door. Six hours vs. one month. And I'm not exagerrating when I say he was out there for about four hours four days a week.

in other words.... :lol: nevermind

I really enjoy tastefully done X-Mas decorations, but I agree that the blow-up ones are a touch tacky.

When I was younger (maybe 10-15 years ago at this point) a street of of 22nd in Westchester I believe use to all be lit up. It was great the first few years, then it was a spectacle with tons of traffic, then a-holes started stealing stuff so they stopped doing it...

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
in other words... "I hate them but my bratty kid likes them and my nagging wife made me go to home depot to pick three up, and I spent 4 hours of my day off wrestling with the foot pump and my dog that can't stop humping my leg"

:D we feel your pain...unspoken or otherwise

Couldn't be further from the truth.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)
OH MY GOD!!! IT'S THE END OF THE WORLD!!! CRITIC HAS A TEENY WEENY BIT OF CHRISTMAS CHEER IN THAT HEART OF HIS THAT IS TWO SIZES TOO SMALL!!!

LOL

Yeah, I have to admit it....I do enjoy watching my kid enjoy the Christmas season.

I know it's going to ruin my rep as The Man With No Soul, but when it comes to the kid I'm way softer than I ever expected to be.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 08:57 AM)
Couldn't be further from the truth.

LOL

Yeah, I have to admit it....I do enjoy watching my kid enjoy the Christmas season.

I know it's going to ruin my rep as The Man With No Soul, but when it comes to the kid I'm way softer than I ever expected to be.

That's all right we all know the inner(a-hole) you :P

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
That's all right we all know the inner(a-hole) you :P

Oh, absolutely!

I always thought I was 100% heartless douchebag, but then I met my wife and that dialed me down to like 75%, and now the kid has me at 50% heartless douchebag and 50% whimpering sissy.

Good thing I still hate animals, any other driver on MY road, and the Yankees.

:D

QUOTE(The Critic @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 09:22 AM)
Oh, absolutely!

I always thought I was 100% heartless douchebag, but then I met my wife and that dialed me down to like 75%, and now the kid has me at 50% heartless douchebag and 50% whimpering sissy.

Good thing I still hate animals, any other driver on MY road, and the Yankees.

Stupid women ruining our lives :angry:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 14, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Around here we have hundreds of thousands of retirees. Store bought decorations?! Too expensive. They collect their garbage all year and figure out how to light it up. My favorite was the 8oz clear drink glasses, glued together and lights stuck inside like a giant lighted ornament. I've seen beer can santas, soda bottle elves, and more coffee filter snowflakes than I can count.

QUOTE(mreye @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 08:09 AM)
My Grandma bought / received as a gift one of those. Most God-awful ugliest thing I've ever seen!

I've seen those things and always thought they were pretty cool. But it's been proven I have no taste in many things (mostly music and clothes) so I'm not suprised.

A few years ago my wife made a Christmas tree with 6 wire coat hangers, some garland and a string of lights. She made quite a few and gave them to family and friends.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 10:35 AM)
I have an inflatable Christmas decoration. She looks like an angel. Her mouth is shaped in an "O" shape like she's starting to sing 'Oh Holy Night!' or 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful'. I put a Santa hat on her. Neighbors got upset for some reason. :huh

:lolhitting :notworthy

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 15, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
I have an inflatable Christmas decoration. She looks like an angel. Her mouth is shaped in an "O" shape like she's starting to sing 'Oh Holy Night!' or 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful'. I put a Santa hat on her. Neighbors got upset for some reason. :huh

They probably hated your inflatable sheep in the manger scene as well, I gather.