Investigators to get 2003 steroid names

Heads22

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2709496

Court: Feds may use drug testing data from 2003

Associated Press

SAN FRANCISCO -- The names and urine samples of about 100 Major League Baseball players who tested positive for performance enhancing drugs three years ago can be used by government investigators in their probe of steroids in sports, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday.

The government's perjury case against Barry Bonds could be bolstered if the slugger's name is among those who tested positive. The San Francisco Giants slugger has been the target of a perjury investigation since he testified before a grand jury that he didn't knowingly ingest performance enhancing drugs.

Investigators seized computer files containing the test results in 2004 during raids on labs involved in the Major League Baseball testing program the previous year.

The samples had been collected by the league in 2003 as part of a survey to gauge the prevalence of steroid use. Baseball players were told the results would be confidential, and each player was assigned a code number to be matched with his name.

Quest Diagnostics of Teterboro, N.J., one of the largest drug-testing firms in the nation, analyzed more than 1,400 urine samples from players that season. Comprehensive Drug Testing, of Long Beach, coordinated the collection of specimens and compiled the data.

The testing was part of baseball's effort to determine whether a stricter drug-testing policy was needed. When more than 5 percent of tests for steroids came back positive, the league adopted a stricter plan the following season.

Subpoenas were issued to both companies in late 2003, a day before the test results were to be destroyed, and in April 2004 Internal Revenue Service agents seized the test results and samples. It's unclear whether the data seized includes test results or specimens from Bonds.

Bonds has always maintained he never tested positive for illegal drug use, but federal investigators demanded to see the 2003 test results for Bonds and nine other players. When they raided the testing labs for those 10 results, investigators also seized computer files containing the test results of nearly 100 other players not named in the governments subpoena and warrants.

The Major League Baseball Players Union protested the seizure as a violation of the players' constitutional rights.

Michael Weiner, general counsel for the Major League Baseball Players Union, declined to immediately comment, wanting first to review the decision.

The government's investigation of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, a now-defunct Burlingame supplements lab at the center of the steroid scandal, has also already netted guilty pleas from BALCO president Victor Conte, Bonds' personal trainer Greg Anderson, BALCO vice president James Valente, chemist Patrick Arnold and track coach Remi Korchemny.

Anderson is currently in prison for refusing to testify in the perjury probe of Bonds. He was previously convicted of steroids distribution.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
Someday, we will see those names.

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you look at it), it will include something like 20 White Sox players...because they all refused to take the tests to make sure that the 2004 tests were triggered.

No, that's not correct. They cooperated after the union pressured them. At least, that's the way I remember it. However, they did make their point.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 02:21 AM)
This is significant, most so because it might be the smoking gun the Feds need to get Bonds in jail for perjury.

I don't think the Feds will be able to convict Bonds of perjury, as it's an extremely difficult conviction to make. It's significant in the fact that a lot of reps are going to be tarnished.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
Someday, we will see those names.

Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you look at it), it will include something like 20 White Sox players...because they all refused to take the tests to make sure that the 2004 tests were triggered.

It's only unfortunate if they tested positive.

I could give a s*** less if Barry Bonds is on that list. I want to see who tested positive that we never knew about. I want to know who has been hiding in the shadows, not saying a word, while silently changing the game through preformance enhancing means. Everyone knows the famous names, I want to know about the guys no one ever talked about or suspected.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 02:58 AM)
I don't think the Feds will be able to convict Bonds of perjury, as it's an extremely difficult conviction to make. It's significant in the fact that a lot of reps are going to be tarnished.

I tend to agree with you. If the leaks are to be believed Bonds said he never "knowingly" used steroids. So basically a positive test wouldn't do much to bolster the "knowingly" part. He can always just say "Yeah, I thought it was flaxseed (sp?) oil, and my trainer lied to me"

Now, many of us may agree that the statement is b.s., but that's different than proving that it is in a court of law.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Dec 27, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
No, that's not correct. They cooperated after the union pressured them. At least, that's the way I remember it. However, they did make their point.

Yep, thats exactly what happened. I'm going to be interested to see who tested positive because my guess is there are some big names that got off the juice following that testing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 05:47 PM)
Yep, thats exactly what happened. I'm going to be interested to see who tested positive because my guess is there are some big names that got off the juice following that testing.

It will be interesting to see if some of the advocates against steroid use ended up testing positive.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
Another thought on Bonds role in this... I'd be willing to bet a moderate amount that Bonds did NOT test postitive. Remember that he was on that Balco product that is still pretty much impossible to test for. I'll bet he flew under the radar here.

Yep, I'd be stunned if he got caught. Without blood testing its pretty much impossible for the big boys (who are using really high quality stuff) to get caught (unless they are stupid).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 10:14 AM)
Another thought on Bonds role in this... I'd be willing to bet a moderate amount that Bonds did NOT test postitive. Remember that he was on that Balco product that is still pretty much impossible to test for. I'll bet he flew under the radar here.

By the time the end of 2003 rolled around, THG was something that could be tested for (and which is fairly routinely tested for today). The whole BALCO saga broke in 03, and it was in October and November of 03 that some of the U.S. National Championship swimmers from the summer and guys like Romanowski started testing positive. THG Timeline.

The one other thing to remember with this testing...this was the testing that MLB warned everyone was coming, so literally the league had several months for everyone to get clean who wanted to, and so not only are the people on the list juicers, but they're idiots too.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)

boy, there's a guy who use to squat behind the plate in Texas for years and years that might fall into that category

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
It will be interesting to see if some of the advocates against steroid use ended up testing positive.

I only know of 1 legitimate advocate against steroid use. Thomas.

I believe that Schilling has publicly been critical of steroid use, too.

Who are you referring to, besides them? 'Cause I can't think of anyone offhand.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 28, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
By the time the end of 2003 rolled around, THG was something that could be tested for (and which is fairly routinely tested for today). The whole BALCO saga broke in 03, and it was in October and November of 03 that some of the U.S. National Championship swimmers from the summer and guys like Romanowski started testing positive. THG Timeline.

The one other thing to remember with this testing...this was the testing that MLB warned everyone was coming, so literally the league had several months for everyone to get clean who wanted to, and so not only are the people on the list juicers, but they're idiots too.

Not with the test MLB was using...

I also doubt that Bonds will be on the list of players who used steriods.

The real fun is going to be when all these other players careers are ruined because the fed is still pissed about Bonds not testifying against Balco how they wanted.

This seems to be excessive for a case about perjury, but then again the govt can get pretty petty.

This ongoing MLB illegal substance/federal investigation is way over my head and I don't have enough knowledge on the topic to add anything of worth.

But I am anxiously waiting the release of this list and a ton more information about this. I desire full disclosure on the topic. The sooner the better.

According to the New York post, the appeals court opinion which gave the Feds access to these test results includes the interesting note that of the 10 players that the investigators were specifically seeking information on regarding the BALCO case, 8 tested positive in the 2003 round of testing. We don't know which 8, and honestly I don't know more than 3 of the 10 names they were going after, but that sure means that someone out of Bonds, Sheffield, and Giambi must have failed the test if that report is true.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
According to the New York post, the appeals court opinion which gave the Feds access to these test results includes the interesting note that of the 10 players that the investigators were specifically seeking information on regarding the BALCO case, 8 tested positive in the 2003 round of testing. We don't know which 8, and honestly I don't know more than 3 of the 10 names they were going after, but that sure means that someone out of Bonds, Sheffield, and Giambi must have failed the test if that report is true.

Sheffield, i believe, has admitted he used performance enhancing drugs, he just said he didn't know what they were, and I think the leaks said Giambi was honest in his testimony, hence the infamous "I'm sorry" press conference.

I'm trying to think who else was could make up the other 7, maybe Benito Santiago would be one. I remember him playing in SF I think and getting popped for a positive later on.

Edited by SoxFan562004