KW on with North

G&T

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
It's the prices that make him comfortable with what he has, and yes, I think he would have upgraded if the prices weren't ridiculous. He kept talking about flexibility and not having a giant contract keep him from competing down the line. If there's a move to make to upgrade the outfield, he will do it.

He seems really happy and proud with what he has done with the pitching. Basically he's trying to create a rotation that plays in that park, which is good to hear.

I do agree with him not going out and spending 40 million on a guy for 4 years who is only marginally better that Pods.Some of these contracts are ridiculous.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(wsxkid @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
A new poster here,Hello everyone.If we find a decent 5th starter I think we have a good chance to make the playoffs.I do believe our SP will rebound from last year.

But if Beurles goes out and rights his ship,KW made me believe that he is gone.I was hoping to keep him and Garland around for a while to help these young arms.

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

I don't know what to take away from KW referring to McCarthy as "servicable" other than the impression that KW and his scouts didn't see the potential that others were seeing in BMac. I'm sure it was speculated in the massive BMac thread, but to me at least, it seems more and more like KW knows something about BMac that we dont.

Then again, I could be totally wrong. :)

Edited by KevHead0881

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:32 PM)
Did anyone actually ask about Buehrle's future here?

KW implied that his salary demands are going to be huge, and they tried to sign him during last season when he struggled. When they were talking about this subject, there definitely wasn't any optimism.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 10:32 AM)
Did anyone actually ask about Buehrle's future here?

Yes, and KW basically said that he is not ruling anything out. It's not that he won't sign MB, but with all his talk about contracts and years, MB would probably have to give a discount to stay and I don't see that happening. There were no mentions of trades.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
floyd probably has the upper hand, but i wouldnt discount haeger

I would.

Kenny sure seems to absolutely adore Floyd. Right or wrong, he's been talked up since the trade, almost moreso than Gio. Add in the fact that neither Pierzynski nor Hall have ever caught a knuckler for an extended period of time, and I think Floyd (as you said) has the upper hand heading into Spring Training.

In fact, Floyd would have to be really bad and make no progress w/r/t his mechanics to lose the job, IMO.

--------------------

On the LF/CF situation, it's a bit dissappointing to see that KW seems down on Anderson along with Ozzie. What's changed in one year? I mean, he was willing to trade a pretty good CF prospect because of his confidence in BA last year, so...? Hopefully they're the AL team who has made a decent offer to Preston Wilson. He'd be a fourth OFer, but he'd get a good chunk of playing time here; he can sub for Pods, Anderson, Dye, and even Thome.

They must see something in Floyd that not many other people saw, because they seem high on him.

I like what KW has done to keep our team competitive and our payroll down, and with Gio, Danks and Sisco, we possibly could have 3 young dominant lefties in our rotation at the same time, which is kinda sweet.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
They must see something in Floyd that not many other people saw, because they seem high on him.

I like what KW has done to keep our team competitive and our payroll down, and with Gio, Danks and Sisco, we possibly could have 3 young dominant lefties in our rotation at the same time, which is kinda sweet.

If the White Sox really do see something wrong with Sisco and Floyd, and have rehabbed the careers of Thornton and MacDougal, then there should be some pitching coaches fired around the league and Don Cooper better get a big ol' raise!

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
If the White Sox really do see something wrong with Sisco and Floyd, and have rehabbed the careers of Thornton and MacDougal, then there should be some pitching coaches fired around the league and Don Cooper better get a big ol' raise!

there really wasnt anything wrong with macdougal, he was just injured....

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)

Well, the Braves had been doing it for years. You have to admit though, both teams did somewhat give up on them early.

QUOTE(toasty @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)

Yes. Cooper pretty much said the same thing when he was on the Score last week. He worked with Thornton but McDougal was fine when he was healthy.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
Yes. Cooper pretty much said the same thing when he was on the Score last week. He worked with Thornton but McDougal was fine when he was healthy.

He still has control issues though, and mechanics problems, but somehow is effective.

QUOTE(toasty @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)

Which can have a lot to do with mechanics as well. One thing you should note...between Cooper and Hermy...how does our record of keeping people healthy compare with the rest of the league? Out of the starters, the only 2 who have hit the DL in the past 2 years have been the Cubans, and God only knows how old they are. They've kept Jenks healthy despite the screw in his arm, the only real bullpen injury issues seemed to be Marte and Hermanson...that's very not bad for a pitching staff.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
Which can have a lot to do with mechanics as well. One thing you should note...between Cooper and Hermy...how does our record of keeping people healthy compare with the rest of the league? Out of the starters, the only 2 who have hit the DL in the past 2 years have been the Cubans, and God only knows how old they are. They've kept Jenks healthy despite the screw in his arm, the only real bullpen injury issues seemed to be Marte and Hermanson...that's very not bad for a pitching staff.

Thanks for the jinx Balt.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)

I wouldn't take Carlos Vasquez (from the Cubs deal) out of this equation either...4 upside lefties with solid stuff...so even if only 2 out of the 4 pan out, we will be in good shape. I also think Aardsma and Massett will be bullpen fixtures for the Sox now and in the future (Massett can eventually take over for Jenks too if he gets hurt, out of shape, too pricey, etc.).