KW on with North

G&T

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
Agreed, but would have moved both if he could have. At the least, KW seems very comfortable with what he has.

I also find it funny that after a long interview, the only sound the Score played of it in their update was that KW wanted Rowand but couldn't get him.

We agree - I'm sure Williams went into the off-season thinking that he would have a new LF, but once the market got out of control for players not necessarily better thatn Podsednik, he decided to give him another season - I'm sure if Pods starts slowly, LF will be a position around the trade deadline for Williams to look at as well as giving younger players a shot.

The Score, in particular, Mike North, has been saying the White Sox wanted Rowand back, but since this didn't happen, maybe they're just trying to save face a bit.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
So after this, is the pitching sequence Buehrle, Contreras, Garland, Vasquez, then #5?

I think it's going to be subject to spring training competition, but it will most likely, IMO, be 1) Contreras 2) Buerhle 3) Garland 4) Vazquez 5) Floyd

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 10:38 AM)
Yes, and KW basically said that he is not ruling anything out. It's not that he won't sign MB, but with all his talk about contracts and years, MB would probably have to give a discount to stay and I don't see that happening. There were no mentions of trades.

If anything, Willams sounds as if he's going to enter next season with the 4 veteran starters - something that I was glad to hear. I wouldn't expect Buerhle to be with the White Sox past this season though.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
Which can have a lot to do with mechanics as well. One thing you should note...between Cooper and Hermy...how does our record of keeping people healthy compare with the rest of the league? Out of the starters, the only 2 who have hit the DL in the past 2 years have been the Cubans, and God only knows how old they are. They've kept Jenks healthy despite the screw in his arm, the only real bullpen injury issues seemed to be Marte and Hermanson...that's very not bad for a pitching staff.

With that throwing motion he has, he is going to hurt himself...I mean, come on...anyone who can make their hat fly off has got a little torque going. I think Coop is working with him. And I think he will be better.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
With that throwing motion he has, he is going to hurt himself...I mean, come on...anyone who can make their hat fly off has got a little torque going. I think Coop is working with him. And I think he will be better.

I noticed alterations in his delivery near the end of last season. Nowhere was it more evident than velocity -- his fastball appeared to sit around 93-95, opposed to 96-98 only days earlier. It wasn't merely dead-arm either. Appeared, to me atleast, MacDougal forsaked a few mph on his fastball for control. Perhaps such an alteration in mechanics can limit his injury risk.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
Which can have a lot to do with mechanics as well. One thing you should note...between Cooper and Hermy...how does our record of keeping people healthy compare with the rest of the league? Out of the starters, the only 2 who have hit the DL in the past 2 years have been the Cubans, and God only knows how old they are. They've kept Jenks healthy despite the screw in his arm, the only real bullpen injury issues seemed to be Marte and Hermanson...that's very not bad for a pitching staff.

We are definitely always one of the healthiest teams in the league. Something everyone appreciates around here, but sometimes goes overlooked publicly.

I do feel better hearing what KW has to say about our offseason.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
once the market got out of control for players not necessarily better thatn Podsednik, he decided to give him another season

And I'm glad he did. And at that price. His upside is that high. The only guy to steal 70 bases in a season since at least 1999. I'm sure no one's done better than 44 in a half season either.

Guy who is gonna disagree with me (who is one of the masses of people who make Podsednik the most reviled and complained-about player on the team despite the fact that they should be complaining first and louder about Buehrle, Garcia, Vazquez, Garland, Cotts, etc.): "But Pods is a no-tool player....bunch of other stuff......[joke about my grandma playing left field]."

Me: that's what you're saying, but I'm saying what I'm saying.

In the Bill James Handbook this year, The Fielding Bible awards rank him as the #9 LF in baseball. Off the top of my head, Rob Neyer ranked him 2nd in MLB. (Your overly emotional reaction to seeing him drop an easy fly ball for the home team is what makes you misjudge his fielding).

Also, Podsednik funfact:

Pods 2006 OPS .683

Minnesota Twins DHs 2006 OPS .680

And if Pods doesn't work out this year, as mentioned, we have a ton of cheap in-house options (Mack/Ozuna platuna maul right and left pitching well respectively, Sweeney at midseason, etc)

Edited by Vance Law

I have a feeling the more we get through spring training, and the closer we get to the season we will all feel alot more comfortable with this Whitesox team.Especially when one of these young guys step up and look like they will be a viable 5th man.But until then its gonna be an uneasy situation.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
I have a feeling the more we get through spring training, and the closer we get to the season we will all feel alot more comfortable with this Whitesox team.Especially when one of these young guys step up and look like they will be a viable 5th man.But until then its gonna be an uneasy situation.

Spring Training might become a mess if the contract issues with all of our 2007 Free Agents becomes a big story. Hopefully Ozzie and KW will just shut their mouth and put the best team on the field.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 01:36 PM)
Spring Training might become a mess if the contract issues with all of our 2007 Free Agents becomes a big story. Hopefully Ozzie and KW will just shut their mouth and put the best team on the field.

The free agency status of Buerhle, and Jermaine Dye will be the top story of spring training - there's so much time down there for the media to keep this story running, and I'm sure Ozzie/Kenny will add some fuel to the fire at some point.

Steve Stone is on the Score right now, and I'll just throw this in here.

Stone says that he had learned to trust in what KW does because the organization is great at evaluating talent both in and out of their organization. He does not believe that the Sox are done making moves.

Boers just said that MB will only get Ted Lilly money ($10 mil). Dan rightfully yelled at him.

QUOTE(G&T @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
Steve Stone is on the Score right now, and I'll just throw this in here.

Stone says that he had learned to trust in what KW does because the organization is great at evaluating talent both in and out of their organization. He does not believe that the Sox are done making moves.

Boers just said that MB will only get Ted Lilly money ($10 mil). Dan rightfully yelled at him.

I also heard that - that may have been the 1st time I've heard an actual disagreement between Boers and Bernstein.

I thought Bernstein was more on the money, saying that Buerhle will probably end up in the $14 million per year range, but Stone believes there will be a market correction next off-season. I could be wrong, but I thought I had heard that next off-season, the crop of free agents is even better ????

Stone did say that he didn't think the Sox are done, but didn't really say what he thought he would do. Bernstein mentioned SS and CF (I believe that is what he said) - I don't think SS will change - Uribe/Cintron is average, and it's not like there are a plethora of SS available.

CF is the one position that I could see a possible upgrade as Williams did say earlier that they are still considering their options, but I really can't see anything more than a stop gap option like a Brady Clark type player coming in.

We'll see though....

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
I also heard that - that may have been the 1st time I've heard an actual disagreement between Boers and Bernstein.

I thought Bernstein was more on the money, saying that Buerhle will probably end up in the $14 million per year range, but Stone believes there will be a market correction next off-season. I could be wrong, but I thought I had heard that next off-season, the crop of free agents is even better ????

Stone did say that he didn't think the Sox are done, but didn't really say what he thought he would do. Bernstein mentioned SS and CF (I believe that is what he said) - I don't think SS will change - Uribe/Cintron is average, and it's not like there are a plethora of SS available.

CF is the one position that I could see a possible upgrade as Williams did say earlier that they are still considering their options, but I really can't see anything more than a stop gap option like a Brady Clark type player coming in.

We'll see though....

Or a LF? I mean, Pods is a trading chip...he's not much worse than Pierre, Roberts or Matthews and he's cheaper.

We'll see though....

Dan said left field, but it doesn't matter. Stone did not really respond to the comment except to say they aren't done.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
Or a LF? I mean, Pods is a trading chip...he's not much worse than Pierre, Roberts or Matthews and he's cheaper.

The problem with making a change for a LF is that you're also probably looking for a leadoff hitter unless you believe Ryan Sweeney can win the job in CF, and also bat lead-off, a tall order for a rookie OR Alex Cintron, not a guy I'd want batting lead off either.

I really think that, for better or worse, Podsednik is going to be our LF by default simply because it's difficult to trade for someone else who can step into that role at the top of the order.

I'm concerned about Uribe still being in jeopardy, potentially, in the DR. If he can't get back the states by late March, that means we start the season with Cintron at SS. Not an ideal scenario. And KW is handcuffed to act on that, since (among other things) Uribe's trouble makes him a lot less valuable in trade. And not many teams can afford to trade an SS and not require Uribe in return.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:46 PM)
The problem with making a change for a LF is that you're also probably looking for a leadoff hitter unless you believe Ryan Sweeney can win the job in CF, and also bat lead-off, a tall order for a rookie OR Alex Cintron, not a guy I'd want batting lead off either.

I really think that, for better or worse, Podsednik is going to be our LF by default simply because it's difficult to trade for someone else who can step into that role at the top of the order.

OR, we could trade for a CF and move BA to LF. Depending on how good this new CF is defensively. Then you have a new lead-off/CF and we don't get rid of BA.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
Except it doesn't have to be that difficult. While still hard, it's easier to find a LF that can just get on base rather than one that has a bunch of speed and is your typical lead-off hitter. IMO, we don't a need a guy in the 1 spot to steal 40 bags. If you can find a OF that can get on base at a .360-.370 clip, and has moderate speed( 5-10 bags) you have yourself a great leadoff hitter for the Sox.

Except finding that player for a reasonable price is difficult, which is why PODS will start the year in LF.

I think everyone should get realistic about Kenny's Floyd and BMac hype. Part of KW's job is public relations. He's going to spin this as much as possible.

Thinks BMac will be a good pitcher, but used the word "serviceable."

I haven't read any scouting report or prospect report on BMac that projects him to any less than a legitimate, solid #3 SP. If that's what Kenny means by "serviceable" then I think he needs a new thesaurus. Of course, Kenny chose his words wisely. Without really tearing him down, he wants to make BMac look as mediocre as possible.

He was going to battle Floyd anyway because Floyd has a group of pitches that will work better in The Cell.

Speaking of spin... If anyone really thinks that there would have been serious competition between BMac and Floyd for a rotation spot, then you'll believe just about anything. Floyd may have talent, but he needs a big fix. He's been back and forth between AAA and the majors for the last few years and hasn't performed well at either level. Without a major fix, do you think his "group of pitches" will work great at USCF and other AL ballparks, while they just happened to not work so well in Philly, the NL and AAA ballparks? Since no one else will, I'll call BS on that.

The deal was just as much about Masset, who can move into the pen now. Also sees him as a possible starter, but KW didn't sound like he expected that to happen.

If KW actually said that the trade was just as much about Masset as it was about Danks, then this goes beyond spin to pure prevarication. Masset is a decent prospect by most accounts, but not a great one. He has very good stuff, but his minor league performance is unimpressive to say the least. He's a huge maybe with none of the prospect hype of a guy like Danks. It is anything but clear that he'll be a good reliever, much less a decent SP.

KW believes that people will agree with him in the end.

Unfortunately, so does George W. Bush.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Jan 4, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
If KW actually said that the trade was just as much about Masset as it was about Danks, then this goes beyond spin to pure prevarication. Masset is a decent prospect by most accounts, but not a great one. He has very good stuff, but his minor league performance is unimpressive to say the least. He's a huge maybe with none of the prospect hype of a guy like Danks. It is anything but clear that he'll be a good reliever, much less a decent SP.

What did you think when the Sox picked up Bobby Jenks? I understand it's a different situation in that they were acquired in two different ways, but I'm just comparing Jenks and Masset here. Both were guys who (more or less) failed as starters, but the Sox have pegged for the bullpen. By most scouting reports, Masset's stuff is just as good (or perhaps slightly worse) as Jenks.

I can understand your skepticism regarding the Floyd/McCarthy situation, but I think you should have a little more faith in Kenny regarding his bullpen construction. I'd say that that's been the place where he has always been able to find good, cheap relievers. His only relief guy who bombed was Koch, and even 2005 Neil Cotts came out of that deal. Marte, Gordon, Shingo, Politte, Hermanson, Jenks, the list goes on. There've been a couple who haven't worked out, but more often than not, Kenny has done a pretty good job constructing his bullpens.

Whoever said they don't mind having Pods back in LF I can sort of agree--with condition.

He went from being one of my favorites in '05 to a goat last year IMO. I can't tell if he was injured in '06 or '05 was just a career year (first half anyway).

So I'm okay with him starting LF to begin. If by the ASB, though, he's still mediocre, an offensive/LF upgrade should be KW's #1 priority.

KW got away with "stay the course" in '05 at the tradeline but arguably got burned by it last year.

That said, the ton of pitching sure has, well... potential. As we all said, pitching wins championships and we seem to have plenty of it. Plus, as another pointed out, four veteran starters. I like it.

Also somebody else pointed out something I have noticed: our pitchers tend to stay healthy like I've not seen on any other team--probably a credit to Coop, yes?

I would also take whatever Steve Stone says to heart: the guy tends to know what he's talking about. If he sees no problem with this, that makes me feel good about our chances.

Edited by LVSoxFan

We'll see though....

I think Steve Stone said last week the reason the market is so overblown this year is because the free agent market is so thin, which is why it will level off next year. makes sense. the second tier guys this year were Ted Lilly and Gil Meche, and we know the deals they got. Zito was alone in the first tier of starters; next year it will be Zambrano, Smoltz and Carpenter and the dropoff comes at Jason Jennings and Freddy Garcia.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jan 3, 2007 -> 08:42 PM)
I think Steve Stone said last week the reason the market is so overblown this year is because the free agent market is so thin, which is why it will level off next year. makes sense. the second tier guys this year were Ted Lilly and Gil Meche, and we know the deals they got. Zito was alone in the first tier of starters; next year it will be Zambrano, Smoltz and Carpenter and the dropoff comes at Jason Jennings and Freddy Garcia.

Carpenter signed an extension already, he won't be hitting free agency for awhile and the Cubs will likely lock up Zambrano some time during the '07 season.

What did you think when the Sox picked up Bobby Jenks? I understand it's a different situation in that they were acquired in two different ways, but I'm just comparing Jenks and Masset here. Both were guys who (more or less) failed as starters, but the Sox have pegged for the bullpen. By most scouting reports, Masset's stuff is just as good (or perhaps slightly worse) as Jenks.

I'm not sure what your argument is here. Are you saying that because KW was right on Jenks then he must be right on Masset? That doesn't make any sense. KW has been wrong about guys too. My point is that he's a decent prospect and that's about it. He has good stuff and hasn't peformed well in the minors at all. He's not 1/4 the prosect Danks is, so to say that the trade is as much about Masset as Danks is pure BS. He's just trying to hype both prospects.

I can understand your skepticism regarding the Floyd/McCarthy situation, but I think you should have a little more faith in Kenny regarding his bullpen construction. I'd say that that's been the place where he has always been able to find good, cheap relievers. His only relief guy who bombed was Koch, and even 2005 Neil Cotts came out of that deal. Marte, Gordon, Shingo, Politte, Hermanson, Jenks, the list goes on. There've been a couple who haven't worked out, but more often than not, Kenny has done a pretty good job constructing his bullpens.

I didn't say anything at all about Kenny's "bullpen construction." I just said called Kenny on his BS about how Floyd was going to be challenging BMac for a rotation spot anyway because Floyd is so good and his combination of pitches, blah, blah, blah. Maybe Floyd can get it together in AAA. Maybe he'll be ok out of the bullpen. But there is no way he's ready to be a decent major league starter in 2007. If you're talking about Masset, I've already spoken to that issue. And he may turn into a decent arm out of the pen. But I doubt he'll ever be a bullpen ace and, as I said, KW's BS about the deal being as much about him as about Danks is ludicrous.

And you.

Quite the contrary. I don't believe that people will agree with me in the end. I think that those who spin every move KW makes into something positive for the Sox for the present, future and all times will take whatever happens in 2007 and torture their "logic" into arguing that everything KW did was just right.

Edited by SoxHawk1980