2007 AL East predictions?

easyw

My initial evaluation indicates the AL East is going to be dogfight this year, much like the AL Central was last year.

I don't see anyone beating the Yankees. Toronto may have taken a step back (they've got less pitching). Even with the loss of Anna Benson's husband, I think Baltimore could be a surprise contender - they've got young pitching, and their position players look solid to me. They're not too deep, but did add to their pen. I think the Red Sox are shaky, and Tampa will again be the most talented last place team in the majors.

Any thoughts on the Os?

I don't see any way that it's not a dogfight between the Yankees and Red Sox, personally. And I still think the Red Sox are best if they put Papelbon back in at closer mainly because they have the rotation depth to afford it, and if that is the case, the rest of the bullpen would pretty much just fall into place.

Toronto is a sleeper, especially if Frank stays healthy, but I can't predict them to finish higher than 3rd.

The Red Sox have the talent to win the division for sure, but they also have a lot of ?'s. How effective is their bp going to be especially closer. How will Papelbon fair in a starters role for an entire season. How effective is Matsuski or however you spell it going to be. Can JD Drew be healthy the whole season?....they have the talent but they have a lot of ?'s too.

Hey redandwhite, im nto saying the red sox are bad, all im saying is that if i was going to pick the AL east, I'd pick the yankees over the red sox, and how can you not?

There lineup is the best in baseball, and there main problem last year was their Starting pitching, and they have signed Igawa, and signed petitte.

I dont see how they cant be rated first.

Red sox are a good team, but until the season starts I cant pick against the yankees for that division, ya know?

I don't know what to expect of that Padroia (sp) kid at 2b, but how can you not love that Red Sox lineup? Just sickening. It'd be hard not to take it over the NYY lineup which is something I never thought possible given that stockpiling of talent. Rotation-wise, it's close and NYY clearly have the better bullpen. I think the Yanks would be crazy not to get Hughes into the big leagues midseason. I'm thinking this may finally be the Red Sox year to take the division (it pains me to see either of these teams enjoy success, though).

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 12, 2007 -> 11:17 PM)
I don't see any way that it's not a dogfight between the Yankees and Red Sox, personally. And I still think the Red Sox are best if they put Papelbon back in at closer mainly because they have the rotation depth to afford it, and if that is the case, the rest of the bullpen would pretty much just fall into place.

Toronto is a sleeper, especially if Frank stays healthy, but I can't predict them to finish higher than 3rd.

I agree with that. And I base this on nothing, but I think Papelbon will be back in that roll sooner rather than later.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
So the better question is, if the Yankees and Red Sox will both be that good, what Division does the Wild Card come out of?

you better say AL East or ESPN will burn your house down.

I predict Jae Kruk You, former cubs pitchers will have more wins than Wood or Prior combined.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...and even then it wasn't the Red Sox. But I guess everybody just hates the Red Sox since they don't pick them to win the division.

I think a more interesting discussion would be if the Rays will actually make it out of the cellar this year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like the Red Sox rotation much better, but their bullpen is downright horrid. I think that may be their undoing this year. The offenses cancel each other out IMO.

I'm not as worried as many are here about the bullpen, but I will admit, if the Red Sox don't do what I expect them to do this season, it will be because of either injury or the lack of reliable arms in the pen.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
I'm not as worried as many are here about the bullpen, but I will admit, if the Red Sox don't do what I expect them to do this season, it will be because of either injury or the lack of reliable arms in the pen.

They should have the edge going head to head against the Yankees rotation, but with the ridiculous OBP and pitch count per batter of both teams, the pen should factor into almost every game, and that could kill the Red Sox.

Edited by RockRaines

R&W, I'm just wondering, does it bug you that the Sawks are going into ST without a defined closer? I mean, personally, it just makes no sense to me as to why they'd remove Papelbon from the closer's spot when he was so otherworldy effective last year. I mean, imagining

Schilling

Matsuzaka

Beckett

Wakefield

Lester/Clement/Pineiro/anybody

with something like

Papelbon

Timlin

Donnelly

Igawa

Romero

Pineiro/Tavarez/whoever else

or something close to that, and that seems like a damn good pitching staff to me. You can pretty much accept having a mediocre or even a bad 5th starter, but having some guy who's likely never closed in his career closing has to be a bit scary, especially seeing how important the closer role has become.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
R&W, I'm just wondering, does it bug you that the Sawks are going into ST without a defined closer? I mean, personally, it just makes no sense to me as to why they'd remove Papelbon from the closer's spot when he was so otherworldy effective last year. I mean, imagining

They had to it was doctors orders based on the health of his arm. He needs to have a set schedule.