JOSH FIELDS

bogie

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
Nope. Floyd sprained his ankle in the first inning, after walking Sweeney and giving up an rbi double to PK. So all-in-all, a pretty good start.

I know its really early, but something tells me Floyd will not be our 5th starter after all. IMO its Haegar's job to lose and not Floyds.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)
Nope. Floyd sprained his ankle in the first inning, after walking Sweeney and giving up an rbi double to PK. So all-in-all, a pretty good start.

I'd bet anyone right now that Floyd won't be in the rotation to open up the season.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)

Coop must not have sprinkled his magic fairy dust on him yet.

Looking at the Reifert blog, our hitters were kicking the crap out of the pitching. Which is probably what you would expect this early in Spring training.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)

Looking at the Reifert blog, our hitters were kicking the crap out of the pitching. Which is probably what you would expect this early in Spring training.

Actually I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
I know its really early, but something tells me Floyd will not be our 5th starter after all. IMO its Haegar's job to lose and not Floyds.

Hopefully that something was there before today. I think it's kind of funny how Floyd started, but it doesn't mean s***. I wouldn't put any money against Floyd starting in the rotation, and from what I've read I DEFINITELY wouldn't put any money on Haeger breaking camp as the fifth man.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 02:36 PM)

But...but....but.....they fixed his tempo! I've said this all along, but until Floyd proves he can pitch in AAA with an ERA under 5, I don't want him anywhere near the big league team. I think Haeger should get the first chance at the #5 spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if Masset makes a strong run. He has the power arm which is going to impress our organization.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Actually I thought it was supposed to be the other way around.

I know people believe that, but what you typically see in Spring Training is pitchers working themselves up to the season. Maybe trying out a certain pitch or featuring a large percentage of fastballs. Those fighting for a job, such as Floyd/Haeger/etc. are the one's who need to get on it quickly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 26, 2007 -> 08:39 AM)
but I wouldn't be surprised if Masset makes a strong run. He has the power arm which is going to impress our organization.

There's so much about him I don't know. Did he develop a good fastball/slider upon filling out his frame? Or was it similar to other failed starters who put everything they have into a pitch when working in a relief role? How good is his stuff, really?

If he's capable of sustaining a good fastball for 6/7 innings, and what we're hearing about him is true, it'd definiely be an interesting decision for management. Obviously, he couldn't be pushed right into the 5th starters role; but perhaps for the future. Maybe he's our version of Jeremy Bonderman....

Observations, Quips and Grimaces From Today's Intrasquad Game

Josh Fields went 2-2 with a home run and three RBI to lead the Thomes to a 7-5 win over the Konerkos in today's intrasquad action on the back fields of the White Sox complex in Tucson.

Juan Uribe was 2-2 with a double and run scored, and Tad Iguchi went 2-2 with two RBI for the victors. Kenny Perez and Brian Anderson led the Konerkos with two hits apiece.

Nick Masset (2 ER/1.1 IP) earned the victory in relief, while Eduardo Sierra (3 ER/1.0 IP) took the loss. Charlie Haeger (1 ER) and Jose Contreras (4 ER) were the only pitchers to throw 2.0 IP. Starter Gavin Floyd left the game in the first inning (0.2 IP) with a slight sprain of his right ankle. It is not serious, and he is expected to take part in drills tomorrow.

Now for the behind-the-scenes stuff ...

Before the first pitch, assistant general manager Rick Hahn pointed out, "We've never been a very good February team."

The first ball of the game was hit to shortstop Juan Uribe.

"Don't hit it to Uribe," someone shouted, "He's on a work-release program."

When Charlie Haeger hit Joe Crede with a knuckleball in the first inning, the slo-motion incident drew oohhs and ahhhs from the bench.

"He should be ashamed to take a base after getting hit with a knuckleball," Ozzie Guillen said.

"He should have caught it," a quick-witted scribe replied.

"Hey, Dwayne Wade," AJ Pierzynski offered. "Need a wheel chair?"

(Please remember sarcastic, clubhouse comments can be a bit biting at times. It is nearly always meant in fun ... nearly).

The intrasquad game takes place on one of the back fields. Writers, coaches, staff (like me) and scouts stand just 15 feet from home plate. You literally can feel the bat hit the ball. It is amazing how fast the game becomes when you sit that close.

Off to the side, pitcher Javier Vazquez spent time playing ball with his young son and riding around in a spare golf cart with the youngster.

With player after player running on the basepaths (three stolen bases, two caught stealing), Guillen noted, "I like that." He sent Brian Anderson in the second inning with a whistle and a wave of the hand.

As Haeger came in to warm up to start the second inning, he tossed a catcher's mitt to AJ. The mitt, more like a first baseman's glove, really, is used only to catch the knuckleball.

At one point, Guillen danced away from an annoying bee.

"That thing might bite you, and you might be dead in this desert."

As Andrew Sisco retired the first two hitters he faced, Guillen applauded, "Attaboy. Attack the strike zone." Sisco walked the next two and left the mound chiding himself.

At another point, Ozzie turned to Pat O'Connell of our media relations department (Pat was scoring the game) and asked, joking, "What's the inning Rosey?" (Bob Rosenberg is the longtime official scorer at most White Sox games).

After the game, Guillen commented:

"I was pleased with the way we went about it today. The team is hungry. We want to feel the same way we did in 2005."

On the bullpen's performance:

"The fight (for jobs) is going to be there all spring training. They all have good arms. It's our job to make them better."

And on Brian Anderson's day:

"Brian is an important part of our ballclub. Last year, we had a lot of patience with him and took a lot of heat. We need him to play like he can. He had a good game today."