Sox vs. Oakland, March 10, 2:05 (SS)

Heads22

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
A drop of 8-10 mph from your fastball and like 4 straight injury-plagued seasons is, to my eyes, slightly more severe than a drop of 1 mph from your fastball and 6 straight 200+ inning seasons.

When Jenks dropped off 8-10 on his fastball last spring, they said he needed time to get ready. I would imagine Prior, if he makes it without hurting himself to opening day, would be at about 90-93.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
The White Sox bullpen was the least used in both 2005 and 2006 I believe. One year it was awesome, and the other, not so good, kind of like the rotation both years.

Exactly my point; in 05, our bullpen pitched the 2nd fewest innings in baseball...but with the way our starting pitching was throwing, why would you want to go to the bullpen?

In 06, our bullpen pitched the fewest innings in baseball, but with the way Cotts, Politte, Logan, Tracey, McCarthy, and even Jenks outside of save situations pitched, why would you want to go to that bullpen.

We haven't yet seen what Ozzie would do if he was put in a situation like the Twins had last year; starters who were somewhat inconsistent, but a dominating bullpen.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
When Jenks dropped off 8-10 on his fastball last spring, they said he needed time to get ready. I would imagine Prior, if he makes it without hurting himself to opening day, would be at about 90-93.

If he gets back to that speed, he'll be in much better shape than he is now. BUT...just from my memory, he had a long time last year off, then came up to pitch after getting into shape, and I don't recall his fastball being able to hit 90 then either.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
If he gets back to that speed, he'll be in much better shape than he is now. BUT...just from my memory, he had a long time last year off, then came up to pitch after getting into shape, and I don't recall his fastball being able to hit 90 then either.

I think its very doubtful Prior will ever be what they thought he would be, but I think he still could be useful. I don't think he's as bad as the spring training performances make him out to be. Like fathom said, it couldn't happen to a bigger asshole.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 04:03 PM)

The thing about Prior is this "genetic looseness" in his throwing shoulder. If it's not just an excuse they made up, that could be the reason his velocity is down.

Jenks was way out of shape (even for him) last spring and got his velocity back through work. Prior might, too, but I'm still amazed at his decline from The Man With The Perfect Mechanics to The Question Mark Made Of Glass.

Edited by The Critic