The West Bracket (San Jose)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 05:47 AM)
I find all the references to "Elite 8 Bill" funny.

Bill Self's coaching ability had nothing to do with all the layups, putbacks and 3-footers Kansas missed tonight.

It's nothing more than a fun rag on him. That said, I think he could have calmed down his team a little. I know they like to run, but at times they were just out of control.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 12:47 AM)
I find all the references to "Elite 8 Bill" funny.

Bill Self's coaching ability had nothing to do with all the layups, putbacks and 3-footers Kansas missed tonight.

or any of the other shots his teams have missed while they are losing in the elite 8 every time. Theres something to it, and if you dont like it, dont pay attention to it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 02:03 AM)
or any of the other shots his teams have missed while they are losing in the elite 8 every time. Theres something to it, and if you dont like it, dont pay attention to it.

Yeah you don't go 0-4 in the elite 8, with all 4 losses being close games (last night was his first elite 8 loss by more than 8, and the score was not indicitive of how close it was) on accident.

That's the biggest load of crap I have heard in a long time. Coaches aren't always responsible for winning the game. The players hve to actually play. Considering how many easy shots Kansas missed last night, it is amazing they were as close as they were until the end.

Bill Self's coaching ability had NOTHING to do with last night's loss. So go ahead and make your argument, draw your conclusions, show all the fancy correlations you can muster up. None of it will be accurate. The bottom line is he had a young team that did not do the things they normally do. It happens, and doesn't make one a worse coach because of it.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 11:01 AM)
That's the biggest load of crap I have heard in a long time. Coaches aren't always responsible for winning the game. The players hve to actually play. Considering how many easy shots Kansas missed last night, it is amazing they were as close as they were until the end.

Bill Self's coaching ability had NOTHING to do with last night's loss. So go ahead and make your argument, draw your conclusions, show all the fancy correlations you can muster up. None of it will be accurate. The bottom line is he had a young team that did not do the things they normally do. It happens, and doesn't make one a worse coach because of it.

But don't you know that every KU loss has to be his fault?

I agree he could have called some timeouts though. But it's not his fault his team missed all those layups, and it's not his fault his team had to play a road game. UCLA gets lucky as hell not having to leave their home state for two straight years. If the game is in, say East Rutherford, I think KU wins. But that doesn't matter so it's stupid to argue about it. KU was making a decent run until Collison jacked up that NBA three at the end of the shot clock.

The shots KU made against SIU did not fall against UCLA, and that's the only difference I see between the 2 games. Fighting through 2 defenses like that is easy to praise after the fact. Truth of the matter is, this all the comebacks endured on the little run the Jayhawks had, they finally gave in and broke.... I'll give all the credit the world to UCLA for stepping up and hitting the big shots time and time after again. Certainly I feel KU could beat that team on a better day, but so is March Madness, and UCLA was far and away the better team on Saturday. Self didnt have the best gameplan, but it should have been good enough if they would have excuted on the opportunities, and there were plenty of them. Nice year, now just waiting for everyone to comeback at a chance of a undefeated season :stick LOl

Edited by watchtower41