The West Bracket (San Jose)

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 06:14 PM)
surprised illinois got in, but happy they are. va. tech will be a tough test. they weren't great down the stretch this year but greenberg always has his teams well-prepared.

I love SIU, but anyone thinking they will beat Kansas right now is intoxicated. I'd die if it would happen and bombard Jimbos Drinker with PM's for months.

Hey guys, I guess I should admit something.

I was a part of the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee and it has been a really long weekend. I hope fellow Soxtalkers will appreciate the matchups I helped create.

1. A potential Illinois - SIU matchup in round two!

2. A potential Sweet Sixteen matchup between either SIU or Illinois against Kansas (you're welcome Jimbo)!

3. A rematch for Indiana to avenge last year's 2nd round loss to Gonzaga!

4. Kentucky, should they win their opening game, having to play Kansas (a personal vendetta there)

5. Purdue facing Arizona in round one, and should they get lucky and get by the Wildcats, a definite roadblock against Kansas in round 2 (another personal vendetta)

The only thing I didn't like (hey, I had to give up a few battles to get the big ones above) is having mid-majors matched up in two games: Nevada - Creighton and Butler - ODU. I voted to make Creighton an 11 seed and match them up against Vanderbilt who I think is overrated. That would have given them a 2nd round matchup potentially against Washington St, who I am not sold on as a #3 seed. I tried to get Creighton an easy path the the Sweet Sixteen, but that petterass (sp?) Hanrahan wouldn't given in if I wanted SIU, Illinois and Kansas all together. Oh well, can't win them all.

It's been fun. If you have any questions - off the record, of course - about how the rest of the selections were determined, ask away!