• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This bracket just has all the storylines:

Kansas/UK- The battle of storied programs

UI/SIU/Kansas- 3/4 of the great coaching carousel of 2003

IU/Gonzaga- Rematch of last year's pod final

UCLA/Weber St- Howland's old school vs. his coaching job

UCLA/Pitt- Howland left Pitt not too long ago

And Duke getting a 6 seed is a storyline in itself.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
Hey guys, I guess I should admit something.

I was a part of the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee and it has been a really long weekend. I hope fellow Soxtalkers will appreciate the matchups I helped create.

1. A potential Illinois - SIU matchup in round two!

2. A potential Sweet Sixteen matchup between either SIU or Illinois against Kansas (you're welcome Jimbo)!

3. A rematch for Indiana to avenge last year's 2nd round loss to Gonzaga!

4. Kentucky, should they win their opening game, having to play Kansas (a personal vendetta there)

5. Purdue facing Arizona in round one, and should they get lucky and get by the Wildcats, a definite roadblock against Kansas in round 2 (another personal vendetta)

The only thing I didn't like (hey, I had to give up a few battles to get the big ones above) is having mid-majors matched up in two games: Nevada - Creighton and Butler - ODU. I voted to make Creighton an 11 seed and match them up against Vanderbilt who I think is overrated. That would have given them a 2nd round matchup potentially against Washington St, who I am not sold on as a #3 seed. I tried to get Creighton an easy path the the Sweet Sixteen, but that petterass (sp?) Hanrahan wouldn't given in if I wanted SIU, Illinois and Kansas all together. Oh well, can't win them all.

It's been fun. If you have any questions - off the record, of course - about how the rest of the selections were determined, ask away!

What was the discussion of Illinois like?

I got UCLA

I have Illinois going to the Sweet 16.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 08:10 PM)
Hey guys, I guess I should admit something.

I was a part of the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee and it has been a really long weekend. I hope fellow Soxtalkers will appreciate the matchups I helped create.

1. A potential Illinois - SIU matchup in round two!

2. A potential Sweet Sixteen matchup between either SIU or Illinois against Kansas (you're welcome Jimbo)!

3. A rematch for Indiana to avenge last year's 2nd round loss to Gonzaga!

4. Kentucky, should they win their opening game, having to play Kansas (a personal vendetta there)

5. Purdue facing Arizona in round one, and should they get lucky and get by the Wildcats, a definite roadblock against Kansas in round 2 (another personal vendetta)

The only thing I didn't like (hey, I had to give up a few battles to get the big ones above) is having mid-majors matched up in two games: Nevada - Creighton and Butler - ODU. I voted to make Creighton an 11 seed and match them up against Vanderbilt who I think is overrated. That would have given them a 2nd round matchup potentially against Washington St, who I am not sold on as a #3 seed. I tried to get Creighton an easy path the the Sweet Sixteen, but that petterass (sp?) Hanrahan wouldn't given in if I wanted SIU, Illinois and Kansas all together. Oh well, can't win them all.

It's been fun. If you have any questions - off the record, of course - about how the rest of the selections were determined, ask away!

I know this is the wrong bracket but:

Did Georgetown even get consideration for a #1 Seed? Not saying they deserved it, just wondering.

Edited by Be Good

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
What was the discussion of Illinois like?

After their pitiful performances in the Big Ten Tournament (be honest Illini fans, none of the three games were impressive), most of the committee wanted to ditch them. I think I remember one saying "How do they spell their nickname IlliNIT?". But I fought. I told them the Illini had a tough year and fought through adversity. It all began when they lost Eric Gordon. Then 8 of their players got hurt or thrown in jail at some point or another. The whole car wreck thing... well they fought their way through that when they could have crumbled. They beat IU twice who everyone knows is by far the best 7-seed in the tourney. Hell, they might be better than all the 5's and 6's too, but I wanted that rematch with Gonzaga and there is no way those assholes deserved better than a 10-seed.

Bottom line is, Illinios has the potential to make some higher (or lower depending on which angle you are looking at it from) uncomfortable and I just couldn't listen to the Soxtalkers whine and b**** until October 2015 about how they got screwed. Instead, I just gave them a shot to win and then put up or shut up against little brother downstate. It was sweet, sweet music!

QUOTE(Be Good @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
I got UCLA

I have Illinois going to the Sweet 16.

I know this is the wrong bracket but:

Did Georgetown even get consideration for a #1 Seed? Not saying they deserved it, just wondering.

Nope. At least not serious consideration. They ended strong, but there were too many other deserving teams. Besides, unless you are Iowa State, there is no difference between being a # 1 or #2 seed.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 09:54 PM)
How many times was "a win over Iowa State isn't a real win" mentioned....haha.

Seriously though, I'd love to know what it's like in there.

Is Iowa State still a Division I program? I don't recall their name mentioned at all.

No wait, somebody mentioned something about the Sumo wrestling championships, but I can't remember. I think I was munching on BBQ Grippos at the time.

Rex -- Duke a six? Can there really be any other argument for them being that high besides, "they're Duke"? I know their RPI and SoS rate pretty well, but they didn't finish over .500 in their conference and bowed out in the first round of their tourney.

Also, any comments on Marquette? Top 25 RPI and SoS, great resume of wins including two vs. Pitt, at Louisville, neutral court vs Texas Tech and Duke... Even with McNeal out, they won a road game comfortably at St. John's and a home game vs Pitt. I'm not putting this on you, but you can't honestly tell me with a straight face that Indiana is a better team than Marquette, right?

*Note -- in case it isn't obvious, my complaining is with Marquette being rated as an eight seed, and having -- God willing -- a second round matchup at UNC.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
Rex -- Duke a six? Can there really be any other argument for them being that high besides, "they're Duke"? I know their RPI and SoS rate pretty well, but they didn't finish over .500 in their conference and bowed out in the first round of their tourney.

Also, any comments on Marquette? Top 25 RPI and SoS, great resume of wins including two vs. Pitt, at Louisville, neutral court vs Texas Tech and Duke... Even with McNeal out, they won a road game comfortably at St. John's and a home game vs Pitt. I'm not putting this on you, but you can't honestly tell me with a straight face that Indiana is a better team than Marquette, right?

*Note -- in case it isn't obvious, my complaining is with Marquette being rated as an eight seed, and having -- God willing -- a second round matchup at UNC.

Duke is Duke. They are not the Duke of old, but an argument can certainly be made their "body or work" was one of the top 20-24 in the country. They did beat Indiana (the greatest #7 seed in the tourney), Georgetown and Gonzaga.

Marquette, on the other hand, lost arguably their best player. Winning at St. Johns is like winning at the Little Sisters of the Poor. It just doesn't count. They are also still losing points in my mind for caving and changing their nickname from Warriors. Their non-conference schedule was very weak also.

Bottom line is I didn't really care either way. I had no dog in the hunt so to speak, so I let others fight that one out.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 11, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
Did anyone have enough of a sense of humor to mention Kansas vs Belmont?

You don't know how hard I tried to get that done, just for Jimbo. But, they had to put the play in game winner there to keep them as close to Dayton as possible. Once I knew I had no choice, I mumbled a little "sorry Jimbo" under my breath.

But looking at it overall, the committee didn't want Kansas to lose in the first round again because the allure of Kansas vs. Kentucky in Round 2 was too great. Of course, the wrong Wildcats may show up, but we can't control that.

UCLA has got this. Another year as the #2 who doesn't have to leave Cali and gets a better #1 in a virtual home game (KU this time, and they'll beat Elite 8 Bail in that game). As for Illinois, despite the fact i'll never get how they are a 12 and Indiana is a 7 and Sparty a 9, they get a good draw. However, I think SIU will beat the Illini (after the Illini beat the overrated Hokies). Pruitt would just eat Falker for lunch and then throw him into the stands, but Tatum, Mullins, and Young will all kill Randle/Brock, Frazier, and McBride, thus the difference.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 03:17 AM)
Their non-conference schedule was very weak also.

Vs. Wisconsin, Duke, Texas Tech. Three tourney teams. Not great, but I've seen worse.

That's also balanced by the fact that their conference schedule was so difficult. They played Louisville twice, Pitt three times, @ Georgetown, @ ND. I'm not going to make St John's out to be some powerhouse, but they're better than at least four teams in the Big Ten. But I digress -- I was the one who brought it up, and shame on me, but they're better than at least four teams in the Big 10 (I know -- nothing to crow about).

Marquette, on the other hand, lost arguably their best player.

I would guess this is the biggest reason for the eight seed. I don't want to ask for particulars here, just a general question -- do you guys get more info than the public does w/r/t injuries?

Even so, by putting Marquette at an eight seed, the Selection Committee is essentially saying that there's AT LEAST 28 teams better than Marquette in the tourney. Sorry -- I'm not buying it. Their "body of work" is too strong. Not a chance on this earth that Indiana is better than MU. None at all.

If Southern Illinois and Illinois play, it might be the lowest scoring game in NCAA Tournament history. If Illinois can beat Va. Tech, which I can see happening, I would like their chances over Southern. Bruce recruited their two best players, so he knows them very well. Either way, it would be a great matchup for the two schools.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 12, 2007 -> 08:23 AM)
If Southern Illinois and Illinois play, it might be the lowest scoring game in NCAA Tournament history. If Illinois can beat Va. Tech, which I can see happening, I would like their chances over Southern. Bruce recruited their two best players, so he knows them very well. Either way, it would be a great matchup for the two schools.

He may have recruited them, but he never coached them, I wouldnt say he knows them very well. I dont know, I think SIU-Illinois would be off the hook, and SIU would have a bigger chip on their shoulder than Illinois. Beating the coach that left you is always a good motivating factor

Edited by kyyle23