The West Bracket (San Jose)

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 01:22 AM)
I'm pretty sure everyones pissed because they had the game and choked. I can't believe Va Tech scored the last 12 points.

Yeah I agree. I just think it's ironic that a couple days ago, a bunch of radio time and column space were devoted to how IL was the last team in and they really didn't deserve to make the tournament (and I agreed at the time). And now you get column's like Morrisey's in the Trib where he says IL wasn't really a 12 seed nor VTU a 5. Whatever. I don't see how people can claim IL shouldn't have made the dance and then turn around and act like IL was the 5 seed. It's annoying.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
I have to wonder if the program and athletic department were run in a classier way, maybe the media would not be as negative as they are....

It'd have less negativity from me. I expected a falloff in the program on the court since I figured Bruce would get killed in recruiting (although I didn't think it'd be this fast on the court or this bad in recruiting), however I NEVER thought this program would turn into a drunken, felony laced, DUI supporting, inmate run asylum. It's far more embarassing off the court right now, but on the court is catching up.....

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 01:32 AM)
Yeah I agree. I just think it's ironic that a couple days ago, a bunch of radio time and column space were devoted to how IL was the last team in and they really didn't deserve to make the tournament (and I agreed at the time). And now you get column's like Morrisey's in the Trib where he says IL wasn't really a 12 seed nor VTU a 5. Whatever. I don't see how people can claim IL shouldn't have made the dance and then turn around and act like IL was the 5 seed. It's annoying.

First of all there was sarcasm in my first post, I know everyone's pissed because the team pissed their pants. I don't care what seed you are, you have to win that game. 12-0 run? You have to be kidding me.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
The talk I heard all week was that the Big 10 didn't deserve six teams and so far they are 5-1, so I'd say they are proving themselves.

I'll admit the big ten is playing good and I'm glad and I was as big of a big ten s*** talker as anyone (absolutely slamming my conference of choice the past couple weeks).

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 07:15 AM)
First of all there was sarcasm in my first post, I know everyone's pissed because the team pissed their pants. I don't care what seed you are, you have to win that game. 12-0 run? You have to be kidding me.

yep. no excuses for what transpired last night. none. the team and weber choked badly, and i don't throw that term around loosely. there are so many things i'd love to b**** about, but i don't even know where to start.

either way, it's been a brutal year and in a strange way i'm not unhappy it is over. if illinois doesn't show marked improvement next year then it is time for some kinds of changes.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 08:23 AM)
yep. no excuses for what transpired last night. none. the team and weber choked badly, and i don't throw that term around loosely. there are so many things i'd love to b**** about, but i don't even know where to start.

either way, it's been a brutal year and in a strange way i'm not unhappy it is over. if illinois doesn't show marked improvement next year then it is time for some kinds of changes.

Well, odds are that IL won't make the NCAA tournament next season (#7 recruiting class in the conference after a #6 finish this year). I don't know what to think. Wins and losses actually bother me less than the offcourt incidents and the appearance of a program that is out of control and ethically bankrupt. If they can somehow improve on that, I won't care if they finish 8th in the Big Ten next season.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:00 AM)
Well, odds are that IL won't make the NCAA tournament next season (#7 recruiting class in the conference after a #6 finish this year). I don't know what to think. Wins and losses actually bother me less than the offcourt incidents and the appearance of a program that is out of control and ethically bankrupt. If they can somehow improve on that, I won't care if they finish 8th in the Big Ten next season.

So basically you are saying Win damnit, ethics be damned!

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
Well, odds are that IL won't make the NCAA tournament next season (#7 recruiting class in the conference after a #6 finish this year).

that's not a very strong rationale.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:22 AM)
that's not a very strong rationale.

Well, they lose Warren Carter who was probably their best player this season. And they also lose McBride, who was their best guard. And I'll go ahead and assume Jamar Smith won't be around either. Semrau might be able to offset Carter's loss to some extent. But an team that is is already offensively challenged will lose 2 of it's top 3 offensive players. That's a heavy burden to place on a couple of freshmen backcourt players (McCamey and Watkins, assuming Watkins doesn't drop IL for AZ). And it's not like Weber likes to play young guys as it is.

There's a lot good teams in the Big Ten. I think it will reaslitically be difficult for Illinois to finish above 7th next season. If Weber gets next year's team to the tournament, I don't think ayone could criticize his coaching.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
Well, they lose Warren Carter who was probably their best player this season. And they also lose McBride, who was their best guard. And I'll go ahead and assume Jamar Smith won't be around either. Semrau might be able to offset Carter's loss to some extent. But an team that is is already offensively challenged will lose 2 of it's top 3 offensive players.

that's a better rationale. i don't really agree, but mcbride and carter's losses are a heckuva lot more relevant to next year's illinois team than the fact that they have the seventh-rated recruiting class in the league.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Well, they lose Warren Carter who was probably their best player this season. And they also lose McBride, who was their best guard. And I'll go ahead and assume Jamar Smith won't be around either. Semrau might be able to offset Carter's loss to some extent. But an team that is is already offensively challenged will lose 2 of it's top 3 offensive players. That's a heavy burden to place on a couple of freshmen backcourt players (McCamey and Watkins, assuming Watkins doesn't drop IL for AZ). And it's not like Weber likes to play young guys as it is.

There's a lot good teams in the Big Ten. I think it will reaslitically be difficult for Illinois to finish above 7th next season. If Weber gets next year's team to the tournament, I don't think ayone could criticize his coaching.

That's crap. We were supposed to finish in the bottom of the Big Ten this year and if we hadn't choked against Michigan State (up like 15 at the half), Iowa or even Wisky, we would have finished 3rd in the conference. There is still talent on the team with Randle and Pruitt (and even Brock to some extent). Add in Cole and Watkins who will probably be immediate contributors, and I think we're in the same boat as we were this year: A decent tournament worthy team that'll have ups and downs because of the inexperience of youth.

I'm tired of the whining and complaining. I don't want to accept losing or down years, but this is the first time in 8 years we've missed out on the 2nd round. Ask Kansas and their umpteen Mcd AA's how it feels to get ousted in the first round TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
that's a better rationale. i don't really agree, but mcbride and carter's losses are a heckuva lot more relevant to next year's illinois team than the fact that they have the seventh-rated recruiting class in the league.

Well watching the team's lack of a real scoring threat, basic fundamentals and focus seems to be a good rationale as well.

Indiana showed a lot of heart in the end but just didn't have the firepower in the beginning to take it. Thanks Rod and Earl, been a helluva year for a projected bottom of the Big Ten finish.

Now its time for some serious work over the offseason to become the national title contenders we should be!

Damn. The defense was definitely there on both sides, making this a really hard game to watch. Every lead was twice what it was on the scoreboard, with the way the game was going.

It hurts to think we were in it until the end, despite our struggles early in both halves. I wish we could've hit a few more of our shots at the charity stripe, and who knows?

Hopefully DJ's back for his senior season; IU's got a chance to do something special next year.

And as He Gawn said, thanks to Wilmont, Calloway, and Suhr; you've been great for the program.

Looks like Matt isn't going to play today, blah. Bench needs to step up big time and we're going to have to make up for his scoring somewhere.

Tyrone Green is going to be huge in this game, with the athleticism of Va Tech, he's a guy that can stay with anyone with athletically. I'd expect to see him play a lot of minutes and play his ass off like he always does.

We have to keep this game at our pace(duh), Va Tech is going to want to run and we just have to play within ourselves. If we can keep the tempo our way then I like our chances. GO DAWGS!!!!!!!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 18, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
Looks like Matt isn't going to play today, blah. Bench needs to step up big time and we're going to have to make up for his scoring somewhere.

$#@!

It was such a fluke little thing. Why couldn't that ball hit the rim?