Music Thread

greasywheels121

Ok,so I am going to be the lead singer in a band. Iam really intimidated because I am gonna be working with a few seasoned musicians from Chicago and this is my first time doing anything seriously in music. I have always had the ability to sing but just never had the desire to get up in front of people. My friend is a drummer from The Soul People(will also drum for this band) and has been telling me to do this for a long time. I dont know how its gonna workout, he said I have all the freedom to take the band in any direction that I want. Feels kinda crazy right now.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 09:35 AM)
Ok,so I am going to be the lead singer in a band. Iam really intimidated because I am gonna be working with a few seasoned musicians from Chicago and this is my first time doing anything seriously in music. I have always had the ability to sing but just never had the desire to get up in front of people. My friend is a drummer from The Soul People(will also drum for this band) and has been telling me to do this for a long time. I dont know how its gonna workout, he said I have all the freedom to take the band in any direction that I want. Feels kinda crazy right now.

VERY cool, shipps! Don't give up on it, even if you get scared s***less at first!

I came this/close to answering an ad for a lead singer when I was a kid - I saw an ad in the Illinois Entertainer and my curiosity was piqued, The band lived not far from me and every band they listed as an influence was a band I loved! The one problem was they practiced on nights that I played softball, and I ultimately chose softball. Ah well...

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
VERY cool, shipps! Don't give up on it, even if you get scared s***less at first!

I came this/close to answering an ad for a lead singer when I was a kid - I saw an ad in the Illinois Entertainer and my curiosity was piqued, The band lived not far from me and every band they listed as an influence was a band I loved! The one problem was they practiced on nights that I played softball, and I ultimately chose softball. Ah well...

Dude I am scared s***less. My problem is these guys have been doing alot of Jazz/neo soul/R & B/folk for over ten years. He said I can take this new band in any direction but he is basing that off of me singing R & B music(which I sound best and is the only way he has heard me sing). I want to go more an indie/folk/blues/rock kinda deal and I am gonna have a hard time telling these professional musicians how we should sound.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 11:08 AM)
Dude I am scared s***less. My problem is these guys have been doing alot of Jazz/neo soul/R & B/folk for over ten years. He said I can take this new band in any direction but he is basing that off of me singing R & B music(which I sound best and is the only way he has heard me sing). I want to go more an indie/folk/blues/rock kinda deal and I am gonna have a hard time telling these professional musicians how we should sound.

If he told you that you can take the band where you want it, that says to me they're open to trying something new.

Don't worry too much about the "professional" aspect of it - everyone had a "first band" and as long as you listen as well as speak, you should be fine.

I'm sure whatever you sing will still carry some of they style he heard when you sang R&B.

Just realize (and I'm sure you do) that it probably won't end up being 100% what any of you want to do, and that everything is a work in progress.

I'm guessing you'll end up somewhere in the middle of all your respective styles when it's all said and done.

Just have fun with it and DON'T QUIT!!!!!

:headbang

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 10:35 AM)

Have a shot of tequila 20 mins before you go onstage, seriously.

I might have two or three actually. I hope I dont get up there and just freeze and vomit on myself like Charlie from sunny in philadelphia. I probably wont be on stage for a couple months though so I have time to prepare and get comfortable with the guys.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 08:35 AM)

You'll be great! Just relax and channel the inner you while singing.

Taking a band in a different musical direction is easier if you play an instrument and can write your own songs. Do you?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 02:23 PM)
You'll be great! Just relax and channel the inner you while singing.

Taking a band in a different musical direction is easier if you play an instrument and can write your own songs. Do you?

I play very little guitar but not enough to play in a band right now. I can write lyrics to songs but I cant compose the instrumental part(i dont know what good thats going to do me). These guys are so damn confident there like lets just do this and get creative.

Thanks for all the good thoughts guys. You only live once so I just feel like I need to man up and do this without worrying what everyone else thinks.

QUOTE (shipps @ Mar 20, 2009 -> 01:45 PM)
I might have two or three actually. I hope I dont get up there and just freeze and vomit on myself like Charlie from sunny in philadelphia. I probably wont be on stage for a couple months though so I have time to prepare and get comfortable with the guys.

Have you ever done Kareoke with a live band behind you? Might be a good place to break the nerves.

Lollapalooza Headliners:

Depeche Mode

Jane's Addiction

Beastie Boys

Tool

The Killers

Kings of Leon

I could not be more unenthused. Lou Reed is playing the festival so I'll probably just buy a 1-day pass for whatever day he plays and call it quits.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Mar 23, 2009 -> 02:06 AM)
I'm mildly interested in Jane's Addiction and the Killers, but not enough to make me buy a ticket. Have they released the entire lineup yet?

The full lineup isn't usually announced until sometime in April. Disappointed that theres only one band that I wanna see so far (Kings of Leon).

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
I wonder if he's started using again.

It doesn't matter, the band is basically The Billy Corgan Experience anyway.

I dunno, Chamberlin's drumming is a pretty integral part of their music.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
I wonder if he's started using again.

It doesn't matter, the band is basically The Billy Corgan Experience anyway.

I was thinking the same thing, heroin is quite a demon for anyone. Or, maybe Billy finally pissed the last original Pumpkin off