White Sox @ A's

Balta1701

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
If the goal today was just to practice moving somone over that's fine. I just don't want to see it happen in the first inning of a regular season game. I'm hoping that's not a strategy the Sox will employ.

im glad you are living in bizarro baseball world then, because I would love a run in every 1st inning of every game.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 08:33 PM)
im glad you are living in bizarro baseball world then, because I would love a run in every 1st inning of every game.

Sacrificing an out in the first inning isn't the smartest strategy, IMO, as Thome is as likely to hit a double or homer as he is to strike out. I'm sure hitless would take the run every time, too, but that isn't exactly the point.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
Sacrificing an out in the first inning isn't the smartest strategy, IMO, as Thome is as likely to hit a double or homer as he is to strike out. I'm sure hitless would take the run every time, too, but that isn't exactly the point.

If a guy doubles and we ground out or bunt him over to 3rd in the first inning, thats baseball, and winning baseball at that. Getting the lead in the 1st inning is one of the most important strategies in baseball and is a reason why we were so dangerous in 2005. You can keep waiting for the 3 run bomb, ill take that 1 run lead EVERY time.

BTW, its not as likely. 2006 Thome had 26 doubles and 42 hr's. He struck out 147 times(which was somewhat good for him) Its MUCH more likely he will strike out.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)

Rock, we seem to be thinking alike a lot lately. AND I DIG THAT ABOUT YOU!!!

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
I hope that climate is part of the equasion when it comes to evaluating Haeger above all else because of the knuckler. He can be much more effective in the air at home

But this could be used for all 3 pitchers. Danks and Floyd have plus curveballs, that will break a bit more outside of the desert. Danks uses a fastball to offset his breaking pitches, and to set them up. While Floyd has a good fastball, and his issue is control and not the desert.

Damn harden has 5 k's

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
But this could be used for all 3 pitchers. Danks and Floyd have plus curveballs, that will break a bit more outside of the desert. Danks uses a fastball to offset his breaking pitches, and to set them up. While Floyd has a good fastball, and his issue is control and not the desert.

Yeah but knucklers are much more effected, not to mention thats the pitch he throws every time.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)

I may be a baseball idiot (I probably am), but I just don't like playing for a single run in the first inning. I'd rather see the Sox play for multiple runs. I doubt everyone will believe it but there's this about the value of bunting. It's a little harsh, as I think the chances of scoring a run go up by 3%. I would definitely bunt in late/close situations and depending on who is hitting and who hits next.

Actually, if Erstad bats second, having him bunt probably is OK....

Edited by hitlesswonder