White Sox @ A's

Balta1701

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
I may be a baseball idiot (I probably am), but I just don't like playing for a single run in the first inning. I'd rather see the Sox play for multiple runs. I doubt anyone believes it but there's this about the value of bunting. It's a little harsh, as I think the chances of scoring a run go up by 3%. I would definitely bunt in late/close situations and depending on who is hitting and who hits next.

Actually, if Erstad bats second, having him bunt probably is OK....

Bunting has nothing to do with it. If you have a lead off double or a single and an SB in the first inning. Playing for the lead is VERY important, and just good baseball. Sitting back and waiting for the 3 run bomb in the first inning is not nearly as effective. The early lead not only helps your offense squeeze the opposing pitcher, but it allows a little breathing room for your SP to work a little looser. This is one of the things that made our 2005 team so dangerous is that we held an early lead in so many games making it easier on our offense as well as our pitching staff.

I would rather have Thome bat with a man on 3rd with 1 out than no outs and a man on first and second. He is capable of scoring that run from 3rd in so many ways, hit into the shift and it scores, fly ball and it scores, get a hit and it scores, hit a bomb and it scores.

Edited by RockRaines

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bradley flies out to Terrero on the CF track. 2 outs.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
Bunting has nothing to do with it. If you have a lead off double or a single and an SB in the first inning. Playing for the lead is VERY important, and just good baseball. Sitting back and waiting for the 3 run bomb in the first inning is not nearly as effective. The early lead not only helps your offense squeeze the opposing pitcher, but it allows a little breathing room for your SP to work a little looser. This is one of the things that made our 2005 team so dangerous is that we held an early lead in so many games making it easier on our offense as well as our pitching staff.

Of course, if Podsednik could still run...there would be no reason to bunt there, as he could just, you know, run.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)

Of course, if Podsednik could still run...there would be no reason to bunt there, as he could just, you know, run.

Well if stealing 3rd is your thing. Im talking about just getting a man over from 2nd to 3rd.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)

If Podsednik cant run, then he should be a 4th OF.

Piazza flies out to CF.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 01:52 PM)
If Podsednik cant run, then he should be a 4th OF.

I'd say more like 6th, but that's just me. Dah well, what do I know, I don't grind hard enough.

Rock -- my main point was that Thome Ks a lot, so having your #2 hitter bunt and give himself up when all it will take is a single to score the leadoff man isn't the best strategy.

Then again, it sort of depends on the situation and pitcher. Obviously you're gonna attack Johan differently than Ponson.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:49 PM)

Well, sac bunting in the first inning was what my original post was about, so it does have something to do with it. I may be wrong, but I believe the stats that bunting in the most common situation will decrease the expected number of runs scored for the inning. I'm not talking about playing for the 3 run bomb, I'm saying if you have decent hitter at the plate I don't want to take the bat out of his hands that early in the game. I have to agree with Weaver and Piniella -- if you play for one run, you will probably only score one run.

So, we just disagree about the value of bunting in that situation.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
Rock -- my main point was that Thome Ks a lot, so having your #2 hitter bunt and give himself up when all it will take is a single to score the leadoff man isn't the best strategy.

Then again, it sort of depends on the situation and pitcher. Obviously you're gonna attack Johan differently than Ponson.

Thats the thing, thome can score the runner many more ways than just a single.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)
I would rather have Thome bat with a man on 3rd with 1 out than no outs and a man on first and second. He is capable of scoring that run from 3rd in so many ways, hit into the shift and it scores, fly ball and it scores, get a hit and it scores, hit a bomb and it scores.

I'll take my chances with none out and 2 on every time with someone like Thome. Thome doesn't hit into a ton of double plays (unlike PK, of course). In the first inning of the game with an offense like ours, I just hate giving up that first out of the game via the bunt. Now, if Thome, PK, and Dye are all injured, that's a different story.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
I'll take my chances with none out and 2 on every time with someone like Thome. Thome doesn't hit into a ton of double plays (unlike PK, of course). In the first inning of the game with an offense like ours, I just hate giving up that first out of the game via the bunt. Now, if Thome, PK, and Dye are all injured, that's a different story.

Just a plain disagreement on both sides. I would rather have a man on 3rd with 1 out than a man on second with 1 out or 1st and second with 0 outs.

Heres why:

Thome can score that run in many different ways because of the shift, he also can hit a fly ball VERY easy. 1-0

Thome k's around 160 times a year. PK is a DP threat all the time. Man on second 1 out, thome walks, PK DP. 1st and second 1 out, PK dp.

During the first inning of every game I would like to avoid those dp's and give our pitching staff, especially this year, a 1-0 lead every time.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 09:12 PM)
Just a plain disagreement on both sides. I would rather have a man on 3rd with 1 out than a man on second with 1 out or 1st and second with 0 outs.

Heres why:

Thome can score that run in many different ways because of the shift, he also can hit a fly ball VERY easy. 1-0

Thome k's around 160 times a year. PK is a DP threat all the time. Man on second 1 out, thome walks, PK DP. 1st and second 1 out, PK dp.

During the first inning of every game I would like to avoid those dp's and give our pitching staff, especially this year, a 1-0 lead every time.

I'm arguing that I'd rather have Thome up with 1st and 2nd, no outs. If there's one out, then I'd rather the runner be at 3rd, of course. With our pitching staff, it's hard to tell if it will mean much being up 1-0. In 2005, a 1 run lead seemed comfortable. Last year, a 1 run lead felt like a 2 run deficit a lot of the time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 20, 2007 -> 04:15 PM)
I'm arguing that I'd rather have Thome up with 1st and 2nd, no outs. If there's one out, then I'd rather the runner be at 3rd, of course. With our pitching staff, it's hard to tell if it will mean much being up 1-0. In 2005, a 1 run lead seemed comfortable. Last year, a 1 run lead felt like a 2 run deficit a lot of the time.

Alot would have to happen between those two circumstances. The 2 man would have to either walk, or hit a single with the runner on 1st and no have hit it well enough to allow the runner to advance to 3rd. Which is why if the runner doubles, I love the grounder to the right side or the bunt. Thome with a man on 3rd are pretty good odds, not as good as Dye up though.