LaRussa busted for DUI

thedoctor

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 05:19 PM)
You are creating an argument where I didn't make one. i didn't say most people weren't impared at .08. I said you could be as impared, or more, from cold medicine, or paint fumes, or lack of sleep, and asked if you should have such draconian measures taken against you for those as well? 2 beers in a hour can put you up to that legal limit. I have a few friends that are cops, we have tested the roadside breathalizer, and it has said I was legally drunk after 2 beers in one hour. Thats bull. I can tell you that I am not drunk, nor impared, after 2 beers, even if i were to chug them. Sure, if you weighed 110lbs and hadn't eaten in 7 or 8 hours, you might react different. My point is that alot of people more impared at other times in their life than at .08, and it is those people that wil get screwed. Some people are really messed up at .08, some are not.

It comes down to objective rather than subjective evidence. A number on a Breathalyzers is easier to use in court than an officer's observations. Also you would have been pulled over for something, so perhaps the person wasn't as sober as they think.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 07:00 PM)
It comes down to objective rather than subjective evidence. A number on a Breathalyzers is easier to use in court than an officer's observations. Also you would have been pulled over for something, so perhaps the person wasn't as sober as they think.

I have been pulled over simply because it is 2am and there are bars nearby. I have also been stopped at 'safety check' roadblocks, which are a crock. The 2am one was the worst. As part of my at-the0time job I restocked a bar. I was covered with booze from cleaning a large spill, and the ensuing stop was fun. SUPPOSEDLY, I rolled thru a stop sign. However, seeing cops there evry night, I know enought to make a complete stop, so the cop was lying right there. He then proceeded to give me all the usual roadside tests. Well, my eyes appeared 'glassy' to him, but that was from all the smoke in the bar. I smelled like booze, but I was wearing it, hadn't had a drop. Did the eye test, and according to him, I moved my head. Standing on one foot? Easy, if I wasn't stopped on a hill. So, he decides I am drunk and slaps the cuffs on me to go to the station, where I demand a breathalizer. It comes up zero. Cop gets mad, tests me again. Zero again. He really gets mad then, says somehow I am either cheating, or the machine is broke. Wants me to do it a third time, I say no, get me a supervisor or a lawyer, because i want to leave. I get crap about how he can still give me tickets for several different things, including dui, even though I blew a zero. Bottom line, after 4 hours, I get out with a ticket for failure to obey a traffic signal. And to top it off, the bastards wouldn't even drive me back to my car. So, should I get a huge fine because I can't stand on one foot and a cop lied about the other tests? I shudder to think what would have happened if I had ANY alcohol in me.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
So the Breathalyzer test saved your ass. Isn't that why society has that law instead of just taking the officer's story?

But he didn't HAVE to give it to me, and wasn't going to until I screamed for a lawyer and a supervisor. It was more like this asshole knew he was screwin with me, and was gonna get caught at it. The ticket and no ride thing was just a final 'screw you' from them to me.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 09:49 PM)
But he didn't HAVE to give it to me, and wasn't going to until I screamed for a lawyer and a supervisor. It was more like this asshole knew he was screwin with me, and was gonna get caught at it. The ticket and no ride thing was just a final 'screw you' from them to me.

yea, a lot of cops are total dicks

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
yea, a lot of cops are total dicks

Sarcastic or not, fact. I've had a different view of cops though from maturing, knowing some first hand, etc.. but average/majority wise... yea. Not sure about other cities/states though. Chicago/Hammond cops... ugh.

As someone who deals with the sale of alcohol, I have a few observations.

If Tony was asleep, I am stunned and amazed that he blew .093. I would figure he'd be about .14 or worse at that point. He clearly had no business behind the wheel of a car.

Don't they have taxis in Jupiter? I mean, Tony's not exactly living check to check, right? CALL A FREAKIN' CAB!!!!

No one should ever drink and drive, but MADD has gone from being an organization devoted to stop people from drinking and driving to a neo-prohibitionist group. From mandatory ignition interlock systems to a nationwide .04 legal limit (coming soon, mark my words), they're more interested at stopping drinking, period.

DUI laws in this country are too lenient, there's no doubt. First offense should be a stiff fine and house arrest/ work release. Second should still be a misdemeanor, but with at least 60 days in the pokey. Third offense should be a felony. The DUI problem in this country is not the people who have an extra glass of wine with dinner and blow a .084, the problem is with some idiot who blows a .18 the fifth time he offends (probably with no license) and gets 6 months of the bracelet. A person like that should be going to a minimum security facility for 5 years.

Balta and Alpha had a pretty good point/counterpoint, to which I'll add that the average person having an intense conversation on their cell phone has worse reflexes than someone who is at .04. Still, if you have more than a couple of beverages, call a cab or walk home (an advantage of city life, no doubt).

QUOTE(shoota @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
Irony?

Nah, I'm not risk the lives of myself and others dumb. :) I can't believe Tony was barely drunk though, that story sounded like a hammer time, blew a .24 type.

As for cops....I've had enough friends get pulled over for DWB to know how much those people can suck.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
I have been pulled over simply because it is 2am and there are bars nearby. I have also been stopped at 'safety check' roadblocks, which are a crock. The 2am one was the worst. As part of my at-the0time job I restocked a bar. I was covered with booze from cleaning a large spill, and the ensuing stop was fun. SUPPOSEDLY, I rolled thru a stop sign. However, seeing cops there evry night, I know enought to make a complete stop, so the cop was lying right there. He then proceeded to give me all the usual roadside tests. Well, my eyes appeared 'glassy' to him, but that was from all the smoke in the bar. I smelled like booze, but I was wearing it, hadn't had a drop. Did the eye test, and according to him, I moved my head. Standing on one foot? Easy, if I wasn't stopped on a hill. So, he decides I am drunk and slaps the cuffs on me to go to the station, where I demand a breathalizer. It comes up zero. Cop gets mad, tests me again. Zero again. He really gets mad then, says somehow I am either cheating, or the machine is broke. Wants me to do it a third time, I say no, get me a supervisor or a lawyer, because i want to leave. I get crap about how he can still give me tickets for several different things, including dui, even though I blew a zero. Bottom line, after 4 hours, I get out with a ticket for failure to obey a traffic signal. And to top it off, the bastards wouldn't even drive me back to my car. So, should I get a huge fine because I can't stand on one foot and a cop lied about the other tests? I shudder to think what would have happened if I had ANY alcohol in me.

Now I get it. I didn't understand your previous posts, saying things that made zero sense about some people not being impaired or not being "messed up" at .08 (B.S.), 2 beers in an hour doesn't effect your driving (also B.S), etc. But what I see here is that you are angry because some asshole cop gave you a hard time. That would piss me off too, but it has nothing to do with the DUI laws, which are far too lenient.

And to answer your question... no, I have not had 2 drinks in an hour and driven anywhere before. If I drive anywhere and drink, I limit myself to A drink, or maybe 2 if I'm somewhere for a few hours. That's it.

If you have any doubts about what .08 does to you, you should try to participate in one of those studies that the state police (and sometimes local agencies) put on where they serve you drinks, test you, and have you drive (on a course, or using a simulator). See how you react differently. It will be crystal clear. I know because I've seen it done.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
i wasn't being sarcastic, i think a lot of cops abuse their power and act like total dicks. they are so many bad chicago cops. i think the bad ones out number the good ones.

This isn't even in the vicinity of accurate. Of course there are a lot of bad cops out there. As I said in a thread the other day, Chicago has 13,000 sworn officers. If even 5% of them are assholes (which is probably low for the normal population), that's 650 assholes with guns and badges, and that's a little scary.

You can point at the couple dickheads who pulled you over and hassled you, and you forget about the rest of them that are doing their jobs. Being a cop is a very exposed job, and when a cop screws up, lots of people hear about it. So a few bad apples make a whole department look like idiots. So unless you are talking about Franklin Park or some other little mob central city, to say there are more bad cops than good ones is ridiculous. I can tell you from experience its simply not true.

But then, maybe my standards are different. For example, if I pulled over A-Dog at 2am, soaked in alcohol and glassy-eyed, you can bet I'd have given him some field tests. If he failed those though, breathylizer should be next. But if I didn't have the machine in the squad, I'd have to take him to the station anyway. So up until the point where the cop said "you must be cheating or something", got pissed and left him without a ride... it sounds to me like he didn't do anything wrong (unless he did indeed make up the traffic violation - that's a load of crap).

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)
Balta and Alpha had a pretty good point/counterpoint, to which I'll add that the average person having an intense conversation on their cell phone has worse reflexes than someone who is at .04. Still, if you have more than a couple of beverages, call a cab or walk home (an advantage of city life, no doubt).

As a person who bikes to school regularly and is constantly avoiding people driving large SUV's on cell phones...I'm also damn happy that this state is banning talking on those things while driving.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:15 AM)
Now I get it. I didn't understand your previous posts, saying things that made zero sense about some people not being impaired or not being "messed up" at .08 (B.S.), 2 beers in an hour doesn't effect your driving (also B.S), etc. But what I see here is that you are angry because some asshole cop gave you a hard time. That would piss me off too, but it has nothing to do with the DUI laws, which are far too lenient.

And to answer your question... no, I have not had 2 drinks in an hour and driven anywhere before. If I drive anywhere and drink, I limit myself to A drink, or maybe 2 if I'm somewhere for a few hours. That's it.

If you have any doubts about what .08 does to you, you should try to participate in one of those studies that the state police (and sometimes local agencies) put on where they serve you drinks, test you, and have you drive (on a course, or using a simulator). See how you react differently. It will be crystal clear. I know because I've seen it done.

This isn't even in the vicinity of accurate. Of course there are a lot of bad cops out there. As I said in a thread the other day, Chicago has 13,000 sworn officers. If even 5% of them are assholes (which is probably low for the normal population), that's 650 assholes with guns and badges, and that's a little scary.

You can point at the couple dickheads who pulled you over and hassled you, and you forget about the rest of them that are doing their jobs. Being a cop is a very exposed job, and when a cop screws up, lots of people hear about it. So a few bad apples make a whole department look like idiots. So unless you are talking about Franklin Park or some other little mob central city, to say there are more bad cops than good ones is ridiculous. I can tell you from experience its simply not true.

But then, maybe my standards are different. For example, if I pulled over A-Dog at 2am, soaked in alcohol and glassy-eyed, you can bet I'd have given him some field tests. If he failed those though, breathylizer should be next. But if I didn't have the machine in the squad, I'd have to take him to the station anyway. So up until the point where the cop said "you must be cheating or something", got pissed and left him without a ride... it sounds to me like he didn't do anything wrong (unless he did indeed make up the traffic violation - that's a load of crap).

You are right, while I was pissed at being stopped at all for something I didn't do, everything up to the 'you're cheating' part I had no problem with. Me smelling like booze, I understand the field tests. Then he just became a dick. And as I mentioned, I have 3 cop friends, so I know they are not all bad, and that the number is even pretty small. My whole point was to counter those who were clamoring for drastic measures right off the bat for everyone, when there are distinctions. The first timer who maybe did have 2 or 3 beers at the game shouldn't be thrown in the clink for 5 years (with the stipulation that there are always exceptions). I took one of those tests in college, I passed it with 2 beers. Officer was kinda mad at me for doing so. I didn't state that nobody was affected at .08, I said some. I also have major criticisms about MADD, but that could be a different post. And an FYI, the stop was in Dyer, IN.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
You are right, while I was pissed at being stopped at all for something I didn't do, everything up to the 'you're cheating' part I had no problem with. Me smelling like booze, I understand the field tests. Then he just became a dick. And as I mentioned, I have 3 cop friends, so I know they are not all bad, and that the number is even pretty small. My whole point was to counter those who were clamoring for drastic measures right off the bat for everyone, when there are distinctions. The first timer who maybe did have 2 or 3 beers at the game shouldn't be thrown in the clink for 5 years (with the stipulation that there are always exceptions). I took one of those tests in college, I passed it with 2 beers. Officer was kinda mad at me for doing so. I didn't state that nobody was affected at .08, I said some. I also have major criticisms about MADD, but that could be a different post. And an FYI, the stop was in Dyer, IN.

I agree that jail for a first time offender, if no accident is involved, is over the top. I think you also make a good point about gradients. Someone who blows .09 is definitely and unquestionably effected by it, but, they are less of a danger than someone who is at .20. The penalties should perhaps be gradient with that.

And thanks for the info, I'll try to avoid speeding or rolling through stop signs if I'm ever in Dyer, IN. :D

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)
As a person who bikes to school regularly and is constantly avoiding people driving large SUV's on cell phones...I'm also damn happy that this state is banning talking on those things while driving.

To me, people are just becoming less and less concerned with their driving. No one takes it seriously anymore. They drink and drive, they drive while on the phone or while applying makeup, or heck, even trying to eat while driving is dangerous. I've seen people reading a friggin' book behind the wheel.

I'm not sure what the solution is, though. How do you enforce those sorts of things? Cops or even cameras can't always see those distractions. The only thing I can think of is making things like cell phones or other distractions sort of add-ons to other violations. If you are caught running a red light, or in an accident, while on the phone, the fines or points should automatically double. Something like that.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 08:15 AM)
You can point at the couple dickheads who pulled you over and hassled you, and you forget about the rest of them that are doing their jobs...to say there are more bad cops than good ones is ridiculous.

hey, i'm just going by my personal experience. i've lived in chicago my whole life, dealt with many cops. about 60% of the time they were total dicks. and no, i wasn't committing crimes when they were being jerks. i've never even been arrested or anything like that.

maybe it's just the stress of the job that makes em act up, or just me being "ridiculous" again.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 10:57 AM)

totally. i ride my bike to get around the city. cell phone talking, reckless SUV driving psychos really suck.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
I have been pulled over simply because it is 2am and there are bars nearby. I have also been stopped at 'safety check' roadblocks, which are a crock. The 2am one was the worst.

I have no problem with this whatsoever. But, this is coming from the point of view of someone that lives a few blocks from a very popular bar and nearly lost their husband (before he became my husband) by a drunken driver. The stupid drunk b**** pulled out of the damned lot without looking which caused Brian to have to lock the brakes and do a 180 while doing everything to avoid her. They ended up facing each other so he saw she was clearly drunk and had no business being behind the wheel. She takes off swerving down the street and he does eventually get home intact. All he was doing was getting home from work - he was working 2-2 at the time and this incident took place at about 2:30am when he was on his way home. Had he not seen her zooming in the parking lot, he would have been t-boned right in the driver side door. Cops used to patrol over there and do as you mentioned but because one of the up and ups in the suburb owns part of it, they stopped it.

Keep in mind Brian was pulled over one time for a sobriety check because he was going through the parking lot there because he stopped for some groceries at the Dominicks. Didn't bother him in the least. Went through the motions and was allowed to proceed home (cop saw his work uniform as well as the groceries in the front seat while doing the questioning and it also helped having no booze on his breath or in him lol).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
I agree that jail for a first time offender, if no accident is involved, is over the top.

Wouldn't that be similar to firing a gun in a crowd, but because you didn't hit anyone, it's not so bad? The crime is driving drunk, why should it matter what also happened? There would be separate charges for that.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
Mark McGwire has come out and said he had no knowlege that LaRussa had ever used alcohol.

He also said that since the incident happened about 36 hours ago, he doesn't want to talk about the past, and that he believes in Tony.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
Wouldn't that be similar to firing a gun in a crowd, but because you didn't hit anyone, it's not so bad? The crime is driving drunk, why should it matter what also happened? There would be separate charges for that.

^^^^^^^^^^^

The firing the gun in the crowd analogy is always the argument I try and use here. I don't get how it makes it any less of a crime if you get lucky and nobody is hurt. Now it's more of a crime if you seriously hurt or kill anybody, but just because you get lucky and nobody is hurt doesn't mean you should just get off.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)

Perhaps I wasn't clear. Yes, those would be seperate charges, and therefore, would mean stiffer penalties. The DUI charge is what it is. I agree.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As someone who deals with the sale of alcohol, I have a few observations.

If Tony was asleep, I am stunned and amazed that he blew .093. I would figure he'd be about .14 or worse at that point. He clearly had no business behind the wheel of a car.

From what I read, Tony was sleeping at 12:30 and blew while at the police station at 4 AM. That's 3.5 hours of sobering up.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
From what I read, Tony was sleeping at 12:30 and blew while at the police station at 4 AM. That's 3.5 hours of sobering up.

I missed that. He was probably at about .12 -.13 when he was picked up, then, maybe a bit more.

Tony is also a staunch vegetarian, getting tanked + eating a bunch of lettuce isn't going to help you much when it comes time to take the Breathalyzer. Perhaps if he chewed on a cow every once in a while he wouldn't have this trouble.

Tony is 62 years old. I'm 5 or so behind him. When I was a young man, I could stay out all night and nothing bothered me. Now, and I'm not Tony Larussa, but after a long day and if I'm staying up late I find that even a couple beers can knock me out.

No excuse, but I can easily understand falling asleep at a stop light while everybody else at the party I just left thought I was sober. When the adrenilin from talking to your friends stops you just deflate. He did what he did, and he blew the number he blew, but it doesn't take a crazy bender when you are around 60. He's going to have to show up in court and take and his medicine, probably a first offense fine. Then do what I do, either bring the wife to drive, or don't go. Maybe he'll join SoxTalk -it's saved me a couple DUIs on the nights I don't go!

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 23, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)

I know it depends on diet, body size etc.

But, blowing the Breathalizer over the limit nearly 4 hours after being picked up means he had to have downed at least 6 or 7 drinks that evening; maybe more if he had been in the car for an hour before they found him.

Doesn't sound that responsible to me.