Which Tribe players would actually start for us?

scenario

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hafner's best years are in front of him. Thome will be declining in stats every year from this point, probably. Also, Hafner has around 10 years left in him, Thome only has a couple. Plus, the stats you posted were pretty mis-leading...

Last season, at the age 28-29, Hafner had a .439 OBP, .659 SLG, and a .308 AVG all together, and crushed lefties. Also, in 40 less AB's, Hafner hit the same amount of homers then Thome, while also driving in 7 more runs. Also, as you posted, Hafner destroys Thome vs. left handed pitching. Plus, Hafner would have had better power numbers most likely, if he had not gotten hit in his elbow by a pitch which ended his season early.

After looking at their stats more carefully, it really isn't close anymore.

So now 30 years old isn't the peak age for a player as they can put up better numbers in later years.

flip_flop_bookmark.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
So now 30 years old isn't the peak age for a player as they can put up better numbers in later years.

flip_flop_bookmark.jpg

? 29-30 is when a player usually reaches their top play. Look at the majority of players, they usually put up their best numbers when they are 29-30 years old, and can last until they are about 35-36. But usually when a player reaches an age near 40, their body starts to wear down, and their stats decline.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 03:45 AM)
Pods > Dellucci

There are some I disagree with, but not to the point of arguing; however, what the hell dude? Just look at the numbers. Not even a healthy Pods is as good as Dellucci, and it's really not even close.

Anyways, kind of a cool story, my boss back in Bismarck actually played youth baseball with Hafner. He wasn't nearly the monster that he is now, but he said he was still quite a bit better than everyone else. Kind of funny to think that the best hitter in the AL (IMO of course) is from a town of about 200 people.

Somebody care to actually give reasoning why Thome is nowhere near Hafner?

Thome: .288/42/109/.416/.598/1.014

Hafner: .308/42/117.439/.659/1.097

Thome was as good as ANYONE the first-half of last year. It was quite obvious that he was playing in pain the last couple months. If not for that, no telling what his final numbers would've been.

Again, I have no problem with anyone taking Hafner over Thome. I just want to know why it isn't even close? And please don't say it's because Hafner hit 6 slams.

Wite, Pods will have a better season that Dellucci this year. You heard it from JFL first.

Edited by Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hafner played one less month.

That hurts his HR and RBI totals, but how many more RBI's would Thome have last year if the Sox had Sizemore as their leadoff man instead of Podsednik. I'm guessing he would have at least 5 in the World Series alone. :D

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 03:56 PM)
There are some I disagree with, but not to the point of arguing; however, what the hell dude? Just look at the numbers. Not even a healthy Pods is as good as Dellucci, and it's really not even close.

Anyways, kind of a cool story, my boss back in Bismarck actually played youth baseball with Hafner. He wasn't nearly the monster that he is now, but he said he was still quite a bit better than everyone else. Kind of funny to think that the best hitter in the AL (IMO of course) is from a town of about 200 people.

I picked Pods of Dellucci because Pods has more speed and if Pods has an 03/05 esque season, that's be better then having Dellucci being his usual .250-.270 avg guy with 15-20 homers.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
I picked Pods of Dellucci because Pods has more speed and if Pods has an 03/05 esque season, that's be better then having Dellucci being his usual .250-.270 avg guy with 15-20 homers.

Huh? Pods best season -- his 2003 season -- isn't anywhere near as good as Delluci's last two seasons. His 2005 season isn't even as good as Delluci's 2004 season. There's really no reason to take Pods over Delluci, other than BS "I think he's going to have a good year" conjecture.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
Somebody care to actually give reasoning why Thome is nowhere near Hafner?

Thome: .288/42/109/.416/.598/1.014

Hafner: .308/42/117.439/.659/1.097

Here are a couple reasons why it's not close:

1. Hafner is on the rise. Thome is on the decline. It is likely Thome's numbers will decline compared to last season and its very plausible that Hafner's numbers will improve.

2. Thome plays at the Cell which proved to be a considerably better place to hit. Park adjust Thome's numbers to Jacobs Field, and the gap is widened. Park adjust Hafner's numbers to the Cell, and they are even more ridiculous.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)

And a High School graduating class of like 6 (literally).

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
That hurts his HR and RBI totals, but how many more RBI's would Thome have last year if the Sox had Sizemore as their leadoff man instead of Podsednik. I'm guessing he would have at least 5 in the World Series alone. :D

good show! :D

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
Huh? Pods best season -- his 2003 season -- isn't anywhere near as good as Delluci's last two seasons. His 2005 season isn't even as good as Delluci's 2004 season. There's really no reason to take Pods over Delluci, other than BS "I think he's going to have a good year" conjecture.

They are different hitters. We don't need a Dellucci smaking out 20 dingers. We need someone to get on base and steal 50 bases.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
They are different hitters. We don't need a Dellucci smaking out 20 dingers. We need someone to get on base and steal 50 bases.

Pods isn't going to do either of those.

And Dellucci does get on base. .367 in 05, .369 last year, and a career .348. He would be an outstanding leadoff hitter for the Sox.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 10:01 PM)

So which one of those does Podsednik do well? Because he doesn't get on base at a very good clip -- Delluci over the last three years DESTROYS Pods in that category -- and while Pods steals bases, it doesn't make a big difference, as he's under 70% for the past two seasons (not including pickoffs, either).

But hey, maybe Podsednik will magically revert to his 2003 season. And maybe Gustavo Molina will hit .400 as our backup catcher. And maybe the Sox will go 162-0, too!

Dellucci and his 2 steals or whatever a year just won't cut it for this team. The Twins have Luis Castillo, the Indians have Grady. We need a table-setter. I am a firm believer in having a table-setter, and we do need someone to get on base, and cause havoc on the bases. Dellucci is not a need on this team, and I'd rather take my chances with Pods having an 03/05-esque season rather than having Dellucci popping homers.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 05:23 PM)
Dellucci and his 2 steals or whatever a year just won't cut it for this team. The Twins have Luis Castillo, the Indians have Grady. We need a table-setter. I am a firm believer in having a table-setter, and we do need someone to get on base, and cause havoc on the bases. Dellucci is not a need on this team, and I'd rather take my chances with Pods having an 03/05-esque season rather than having Dellucci popping homers.

a non-havoc scored run counts just the same as a havoc scored run.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
not in 03 through 05.

Someone better talk to Ozzie about this, he seems to think Pods needs a platoon partner.

2004: .224 BA, .294 OBP vs lefties

So 2003-2005 while excluding 2004 and ignoring 2006.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 1, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
Someone better talk to Ozzie about this, he seems to think Pods needs a platoon partner.

2004: .224 BA, .294 OBP vs lefties

So 2003-2005 while excluding 2004 and ignoring 2006.

Podsednik hit .300 vs. lefties in 05, and .270 vs. them in 03. And his .224 in 04 and .216 last year is still better then Dellucci's average vs. lefties the past several years, but yes, Dellucci is strictly a platoon player.

All I am trying to say is, an 03/05 version of Pods is way more valueable then Dellucci and his low average but high power numbers.

David Dellucci - last 5 years...

Year G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP

2002 97 229 34 56 11 2 7 29 28 55 2 4 0.245 0.326

2003 91 216 26 49 12 3 3 23 23 58 12 0 0.227 0.301

2004 107 331 59 80 13 1 17 61 47 88 9 4 0.242 0.342

2005 128 435 97 109 17 5 29 65 76 121 5 3 0.251 0.367

2006 132 264 41 77 14 5 13 39 28 62 1 3 0.292 0.369

Here's the short version:

2002 Sucked as a part-timer

2003 Sucked worse as a part-timer

2004 Got more walks, flashed a little power, still didn't hit well enough to play full-time

2005 Got full-time at-bats; only hit .251; but he did get 76 walks; and hit 29 homeruns; not too bad

2006 Had a 'career year' in 264 at-bats playing in the National League as Philadelphia's 4th outfielder

And "he'd make a great leadoff hitter for us". LOL. A little early for drinking on Sundays, isn't it??

Reality... he's Jason Michaels with a little more power, who can't hit as well for average, and has a lower OBP.

Edited by scenario