Which Tribe players would actually start for us?

scenario

Which Tribe players would actually start for us? I'm not talking long term. I'm not talking multi-year 'potential'.

I'm talking about 2007.

If you mixed the two rosters, who would win the starting positions?

Position Players

First, compare the position players for the two starting lineups...

Consider both offensive and defensive contributions.

Konerko vs. Blake

Iguchi vs. Barfield

Uribe vs. Peralta

Crede vs. Marte

AJ vs. Martinez

Pods vs. Dellucci

Erstad vs. Grady

Dye vs. Trot Nixon

Thome vs. Hafner

Starting Pitchers (the way they're slotted in the rotation)

And who would you take in each of these matchups?

Contreras vs. CC

Garland vs. Westbrook

Buerhle vs. Lee

Vazquez vs. Byrd

Danks vs. Sowers

Edited by scenario

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VMart is probably the worst defensive catcher in the American League. Why would you take him over AJ? Power?? In the last two years, Martinez has hit 36 home runs. AJ has hit 34.

The difference in their offensive stats is mostly based on two factors:

Martinez walks more

He bats higher in the lineup

I'd take AJ for his defense and ability to handle the staff.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
C.C., Sowers, Hafner, Sizemore, Dellucci, VMart, and possibly Barfield (I think he's going to thrive away from San Diego).

I agree with you on all but Martinez and Barfield. We just couldn't have Victor as our catcher. He's absolutely awful. And I'd take Iguchi for this year, though Barfield may be better in time.

Hafner for sure over Thome, though. I bet a lot of people wouldn't want to say that.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
VMart is probably the worst defensive catcher in the American League. Why would you take him over AJ? Power?? In the last two years, Martinez has hit 36 home runs. AJ has hit 34.

Martinez walks more

Also, VMart is a switch hitter, so he's more effective vs LHP than AJP is. AJP didn't exactly have a stellar year catching last year, and if I recall correctly, the Indians starting staff had a superior ERA to that of the White Sox. And as for throwing out runners, with the way our pitchers hold on runners, it doesn't matter how good or bad the throwing arm is behind the plate.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
I agree with you on all by Martinez and Barfield. We just couldn't have Victor as our catcher. He's absolutely awful. And I'd take Iguchi for this year, though Barfield may be better in time.

Hafner for sure over Thome, though. I bet a lot of people wouldn't want to say that.

I'd take Hafner over any player besides Pujols. See my reasons for taking VMart above.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
Also, VMart is a switch hitter, so he's more effective vs LHP than AJP is. AJP didn't exactly have a stellar year catching last year, and if I recall correctly, the Indians starting staff had a superior ERA to that of the White Sox. And as for throwing out runners, with the way our pitchers hold on runners, it doesn't matter how good or bad the throwing arm is behind the plate.

I'd take Hafner over any player besides Pujols. See my reasons for taking VMart above.

AJ set the American League record (all-time) for consecutive games without an error last year. And handling the staff, he's like a coach on the field. VMart has a noodle for an arm and looks like a first baseman trying to catch. And he's clueless about calling a game... looking into the dugout practically the entire game. No comparison.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
AJ set the American League record (all-time) for consecutive games without an error last year. And handling the staff, he's like a coach on the field. VMart has a noodle for an arm and looks like a first baseman trying to catch. And he's clueless about calling a game... looking into the dugout practically the entire game. No comparison.

Errors for catchers is a pointless statistic. He still hasn't caught one ball cleanly on a play at the plate (not like it matters with the pathetic arms we have in the outfield). I love AJP, and I think his attitude was possibly the most responsible thing for our 2005 season. However, he struggled last year, and his game-calling wasn't very good.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:35 AM)
Errors for catchers is a pointless statistic. He still hasn't caught one ball cleanly on a play at the plate (not like it matters with the pathetic arms we have in the outfield). I love AJP, and I think his attitude was possibly the most responsible thing for our 2005 season. However, he struggled last year, and his game-calling wasn't very good.

There's still no comparison. VMart is the Michael Barrett of the American League, only Barrett is actually a much better catcher. That should pretty much tell the story.

And AJ "struggled last year"??? What are you talking about?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
There's still no comparison. VMart is the Michael Barrett of the American League, only Barrett is actually a much better catcher. That should pretty much tell the story.

And AJ "struggled last year"??? What are you talking about?

Our pitchers were awful last year. If he's going to get all the credit for how they pitched in 2005, then he deserves some criticism for 2006.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
Our pitchers were awful last year. If he's going to get all the credit for how they pitched in 2005, then he deserves some criticism for 2006.

I don't think AJ deserves 'all the credit' for 2005. Nor does he deserves criticism for Garcia's fastball and Buerhle's location disappearing... or Contreras getting hurt.

Regarding the earlier post picking Dellucci over Pods...

I know there are alot of people who don't like Pods, but come on...

Dellucci has a sub-.250 career average hitting in the American League. He had a career year in the National League last year. Big deal. His total career batting average (both leagues) is about the same as Pods hit last year which everyone is abusing him for. His career OBP is only slightly higher than Pods'.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
Which Tribe players would actually start for us? I'm not talking long term. I'm not talking multi-year 'potential'.

I'm talking about 2007.

Position Players

Konerko vs. Blake

Iguchi vs. Barfield

Uribe vs. Peralta

Crede vs. Marte

AJ vs. Martinez

Pods vs. Dellucci

Erstad vs. Grady

Dye vs. Trot Nixon

Thome vs. Hafner

Contreras vs. CC

Garland vs. Westbrook

Buerhle vs. Lee

Vazquez vs. Byrd

Danks vs. Sowers

Peralta

Martinez

Dellucci

Grady

Hafner

CC

Lee

Byrd

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 04:13 PM)

I'm talking about 2007.

Position Players

Konerko vs. Blake

Iguchi vs. Barfield

Uribe vs. Peralta

Crede vs. Marte

AJ vs. Martinez

Pods vs. Dellucci

Erstad vs. Grady

Dye vs. Trot Nixon

Thome vs. Hafner

Contreras vs. CC

Garland vs. Westbrook

Buerhle vs. Lee

Vazquez vs. Byrd

Danks vs. Sowers

Barfield, Peralta, Martinez, Dellucci, Grady, Hafner, CC, Lee, and Sowers

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
There is no way you can take Lee over Buerhle, just on one bad half season. You just can't do it.

I was actually moreso comparing Lee to Garland, because assuming health im assuming Lee would of been the 2nd starter. Even so, id consider choosing him over Buerhle just because I am a big Lee fan.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 04:54 PM)
Dellucci has a sub-.250 career average hitting in the American League. He had a career year in the National League last year. Big deal. His total career batting average (both leagues) is about the same as Pods hit last year which everyone is abusing him for. His career OBP is only slightly higher than Pods'.

In Delluci's last three seasons, his OBP is right around .350. You also fail to mention the fact that Delluci slugs close to 75 points higher than Pods. I'd bet a lot of money that Delluci has a better year than Pods next year.

Oh, and all the intangibles in the world don't make up for the offensive difference between Pierzynski and Martinez. The last three years, Pierzynski's OPS+ is right around 90 and Martinez' is right around 125. Really, it's not even close.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
In Delluci's last three seasons, his OBP is right around .350. You also fail to mention the fact that Delluci slugs close to 75 points higher than Pods. I'd bet a lot of money that Delluci has a better year than Pods next year.

Oh, and all the intangibles in the world don't make up for the offensive difference between Pierzynski and Martinez. The last three years, Pierzynski's OPS+ is right around 90 and Martinez' is right around 125. Really, it's not even close.

Don't forget that Dellucci will only be used against RHP, which will make him even better. The Indians have Michaels to platoon with him and Trot in RF. If Perralta can get back to 75 pct of the form he had in 2005, the Indians are going to have an amazing offense.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
Don't forget that Dellucci will only be used against RHP, which will make him even better. The Indians have Michaels to platoon with him and Trot in RF. If Perralta can get back to 75 pct of the form he had in 2005, the Indians are going to have an amazing offense.

Their offense was never their problem, its the god awful bullpen and inconsistent starting pitching and defense.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
I don't think AJ deserves 'all the credit' for 2005. Nor does he deserves criticism for Garcia's fastball and Buerhle's location disappearing... or Contreras getting hurt.

Regarding the earlier post picking Dellucci over Pods...

I know there are alot of people who don't like Pods, but come on...

Dellucci is a platoon player (can't hit lefties) who has hit .266/.368/.519 overall since his laser eye surgery and .269/.371/.526 against RHP.

Podsednik is a platoon player (why else would we stand Pablo's defense in LF) who has hit .275/.340/.351 overall and .279/.342/.364 against RHP over that time.

Sizemore pwns everyone. I'd still take Dullucci as a platoon player. Barfield is interesting. I'll take him for the future. I :wub: Marte so yea, I'll take him probably put him in LF since he can't be no worse than Pods. :) I can't decide on Thome and Hafner cause I like both so I'll just stick with Big Jim. CC will be the best pitcher in our rotation easily so yes, I'll take that young stud. I'll take Lee as well. Jon and Jake are mediocre washes. Danks and Sowers you can come back to me in two years because both will be studs.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 31, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)

Martinez walks more

AJ is the most overrated player on this team. He's an average defensive catcher. Ivan Rodriguez vs. Martinez, there is a catcher comparison where the defensive level of play is so far apart that it could be the reason you'd choose one over the other. But AJ against Martinez, the fielding skills are not vastly different and Martinez is one of the best offensive catchers in the game. I would never start AJ over Martinez.