White Sox "collapse" in Power Ratings after 1 game?

caulfield12

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
If you really wanted to judge teams based on 1 game, then why in the blue hell are the Red Sox number one? they looked as bad as anyone on Opening Day.

At least the White Sox offense was able to produce against a top pitcher... I still find it hilarious that the Red Sox offense, which is also said to be one of the top offenses in all of baseball, get owned by Gil Meche! :lolhitting

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 3, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
At least the White Sox offense was able to produce against a top pitcher... I still find it hilarious that the Red Sox offense, which is also said to be one of the top offenses in all of baseball, get owned by Gil Meche! :lolhitting

hey! knock on wood, we'll have to hit against him, don't want to run into the same thing

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
4th in the division and behind the Cubs. Gotta love it.

The Cubs, Phillies and Cardinals ahead of us? What the heck just happened?--Tiger Woods.

I love how the Twins split with us and they go up by two spots, AFTER they're slaughtered by the Yankees last night. Good stuff.

At least the idiot was smart enough to acknowledge that we were better than where he slotted us...whatever that means. I guess it means we might move back into the Top 10 if we're leading the AL at the beginning of May.

As I recall, many power rankings (Sportsline, Yahoo, ESPN) didn't put the 2005 Sox at the top until the 2nd half of the season. I wouldn't read too much into them.

For pundits and people like that, they have their predictions to protect. They will stay in denial until they have no other choice, then they'll leap on the bandwagon as if they were always there.

AT this point, they are probably going by what team they think has more talent. For instance, the Astros are better than 2-5. And so are the Phillies. The Twins probably are worse than their record at this point. After a week, you can't say much about any team good or bad, unless there are significant injuries.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
AT this point, they are probably going by what team they think has more talent. For instance, the Astros are better than 2-5. And so are the Phillies. The Twins probably are worse than their record at this point. After a week, you can't say much about any team good or bad, unless there are significant injuries.

Its dumb to rank until at least May.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)

The question is of course...why do some teams that start off poorly but have good talent get a pass on major drops, while other teams that start off poorly but have good talent do drop?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 07:17 PM)
The question is of course...why do some teams that start off poorly but have good talent get a pass on major drops, while other teams that start off poorly but have good talent do drop?

Because its just a bunch of subjective opinions and not based on much in-depth analysis. It's just meant to get people like us talking about them on message boards and in turn get them publicity. There's no rhyme or reason.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
Its dumb to rank until at least May.

Exactly, it's like college basketball rankings. The only reason they have them are for the fans really, they aren't meaningful at all because there's no basis for half of these.