Revisiting Hawk Harrelson

FlaCWS

Hawk  

121 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of Hawk Harrelson?

• Keep him
    • Replace him
    • Don't care either way

Figured I’d go off-topic a bit. I hate to detract from the games themselves, but this has been bothering me lately and I wanted to see if there’s been any change of opinion lately on this subject around White Sox Nation (I hate that term but couldn’t think of a better one)…

Let me preface this by saying that I think Hawk Harrelson is a very talented broadcaster... he has a good speaking voice, he knows the game inside and out, and he's a good story-teller. Having said that, I gotta say - and I know I'll get killed for this – I just can’t take his over-the-top homerism any more.

Now don’t get me wrong… I think it’s totally acceptable, and even welcome at times, for a broadcaster to openly root for the team he works for. But there is a point where it goes from being fun, and firing you up, to becoming completely amateurish and even embarrassing… and that is what I think Hawk (and DJ, too) has become.

Let’s remember that this is Chicago – the third biggest media market in the country. Fans in this town are extremely intelligent and sophisticated – dare I say moreso than in most parts of the country. I have to believe that most of us would rather hear an honest, objective account of the game than hear two guys yelling “YES” in unison when the Sox hit a home run. I mean, come on, you can’t tell me it doesn’t sound ridiculous. And the sad part is that Hawk has influenced DJ to the point where he is just as bad. I mean, yesterday DJ called Podsednik safe on a steal attempt before the ump made his call… which was OUT. And the replay totally backed up the ump. That is just unprofessional broadcasting, period. I like to know that the so-called experts explaining the game to me have at least some credibility. But with Hawk and DJ I can’t really trust anything they say because I know they are always going to side with the Sox whether they are right or wrong.

Like I said, I know I’ll get killed for this. I’ve been a Sox fan for a lot less time than most people on this board probably have. I’m sure a lot of you will defend Hawk to the end because he is “our guy” – but I have to believe others feel the same way I do. Chicago fans deserve better. We had a true pro in Rooney but let him walk. I would much rather have kept him and waved good-bye to Hawk and DJ.

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts. And this is the last I’ll bring it up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I appreciate the value of having a guy in the booth rooting for the home guys, Hawk's favoritism has gotten to the point where he doesn't even approach objective coverage of the game. Which, ok, I hate, some people like.

But I'll tell you what: sometimes I feel like I'd like to keep him around purely for occasional sheer comedy value. To wit: Hawk's commentary after Masset's pitchout caused Blake to be CS in the 2nd. "You don't throw a pitchout accidentally."

Yes, Hawk, thanks. That's why it's called a pitchout and the catcher is ready for it and not simply a wild, outside fastball.

Hawk Harrelson is the best announcer in the history of baseball. I don't like his over the top homerism, but even with it he's still great. If you don't like Hawk I suggest you buy MLB extra innings or MLBtv so you can see how bad some of the other announcers are.

While we are at it I don't see why everyone thought Rooney was so special :ph34r:

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

The thread start made some valid points for once about Hawk. Usually people just hate announcers for no reason. Some people cannot be satisfied, and say something general and for all practical purposes meaningless like "he sucks." Personally, I have never been one to criticize the announcers because it is a very difficult job to improvise for 3 hours a day virtually everyday of the week, something no one else in television has to do.

I am not sure that hawk has a choice in the matter. When I watch a cubs game its the same way. I find myself disagreeing with the announcers all the time. They are employed by their ball club, so some bias should be expected. A replacement for hawk would probably be the same.

I guess what I am saying is, at least he doesn't sound like kermit the frog.

QUOTE(max power @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
They are employed by their ball club, so some bias should be expected. A replacement for hawk would probably be the same.

I absolutely agree, some bias is expected - and even welcomed. My point is that Hawk brings far more than just some bias. He is completely over the top. And to the person who suggested I buy Extra Innings... I actually have MLB TV (since I am out of market) and I do hear other announcers. There are certainly a lot of bad ones - and as I said, I do think Hawk is very talented - but no one - NO ONE - is anywhere near the homer he is. It's something I would expect from a small-market team... not Chicago.

The shame of it is that I think if he lost the homerism, Hawk could be one of the absolute greats. He has all the tools.

I prefer to have the announcers be fans of the team Im rooting for any day. I know youre implying impartial announcers but imagine somebody like mariotti calling a Sox game. Sure it would be entertaining once but Id prefer to have someone agree with me when the umps make the right call and I still wanna complain about it and call bs.

QUOTE(max power @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)
The thread start made some valid points for once about Hawk. Usually people just hate announcers for no reason. Some people cannot be satisfied, and say something general and for all practical purposes meaningless like "he sucks." Personally, I have never been one to criticize the announcers because it is a very difficult job to improvise for 3 hours a day virtually everyday of the week, something no one else in television has to do.

I am not sure that hawk has a choice in the matter. When I watch a cubs game its the same way. I find myself disagreeing with the announcers all the time. They are employed by their ball club, so some bias should be expected. A replacement for hawk would probably be the same.

I guess what I am saying is, at least he doesn't sound like kermit the frog.

You make a good point: it's natural for an announcer to show some preference for his employer. If I could change two things though, without really affecting his natural homerism:

1. If the White Sox are losing badly, you don't have to stop commenting on the game. On tough days, Hawk goes through stretches of several minutes where he is silent despite the fact that there's still a game taking place.

2. On the flip side, I like anecdotes as much as anyone, but there's been times when Hawk has gotten so wrapped up in tales of his minor league days that he'll fail to note that real action is taking place in the game. Anecdotally, I think one time I saw a game in which a Sox player jacked one out of the park but Hawk didn't even comment that a ball had been hit until the player was crossing home.

That being said, I'll admit I've only watched broadcasts from a couple of cities in my time (here and Boston, where the announcers could hardly be called unbiased) so I don't really have a sense of how things are nationwide. Maybe Hawk is better than average (though calling him the "best announcer in the history of baseball" is going over the top a bit, don't you think?), but, still, I think the above two points have more to do with being a better professional broadcaster than liking your home team.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
I'll tell you what... the early results of the poll suggest I am very much in the minority here.

i know a lot of Sox fans who do not like Harrelson for the same reasons you don't. i like him announcing for the Sox, but come midseason i'm sure he'll start to get annoying.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
Ed Farmer makes Hawk Harrelson seem like the greatest announcer ever.

Ed Farmer is the worst

hawk may get a little annoying at times, but everything else being equal, I'd much rather have someone who is THAT big of a sox fan in the booth rather than just some cookie cutter announcer.

Plus, I've grown up with hawk, I can't imagine sox games without him.

QUOTE(SnB @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
hawk may get a little annoying at times, but everything else being equal, I'd much rather have someone who is THAT big of a sox fan in the booth rather than just some cookie cutter announcer.

Plus, I've grown up with hawk, I can't imagine sox games without him.

I respect your opinion, but I have to admit I don't understand it. When you watch the weather report on TV, would you want the guy to tell you it's going to be sunny tomorrow when in reality it will rain?

I wouldn't want a "cookie cutter" announcer either. There are plenty of all-time greats, such as Vin Scully and Ernie Harwell, who may have shown more enthusiasm for the home team, but never so blatantly rooted on the air. If they did they'd have no credibility... the way Hawk doesn't.

Nowadays Hawk has either his longtime standbye people that love him or those that have grown tired of him or newbies that never took to him. Personally, I still stand by him, but clearly he's lost his fastball just a bit. Not Harryesque yet, but IMO in the coming years he must know when to say when. Listen to some of his old casts with Wimpy or some of his even older casts with Double D and you'll see his booth is simply not what it was. Some of that due to Hawk's getting older and some due to the fact that they paired him with the younger DJ who has to bow down to Hawk. It is Hawk's booth and that's not always a good thing. I think he'd be a much better listen with someone of his own age like Tommy John who would be his own man and not ape everything Hawk does as DJ is sometimes apt to do. I'll say this: Hawk has true White Sox passion. I don't believe one ounce of that passion is canned and that I can respect.

I can't imagine watching White Sox baseball without Hawk. I love it that he cares as much as I do. The perfect example came today when Thornton hit the ball in the gap. He said nobodies gonna get that, and then let out a genuine "dag nabbit." He was just as pissed as I was that Thornton screwed the pooch. It's not fake, and that's why I love his announcing so much. I know enough about the game. I don't need an announcer to sit there and be objective and tell me what I'm seeing.

Hawk would be fine if he wasn't so much of a ridiculous homer. Root for the Sox, fine, but I'm sick of every replay of a pitch that a sox pitcher throws, he goes "that was a strike" even if the thing looks a foot inside on the replay. Come on already. His blatant defense of Ozzie on anything and everything is also stupid.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 5, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
If you don't like Hawk I suggest you buy MLB extra innings or MLBtv so you can see how bad some of the other announcers are.

I can't stress how much I agree with this.