4/11 Games

caulfield12

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
Getz 1-2 with a HR and 2 walks, as well.

Birmingham appears to have a tremendous pitching staff at hand.

It'd be one hell of a problem if Egbert, Gonzalez, and Russell are all worthy of promotion to AAA come September.

Track Eggy in your sig too. :P

I hate starting promotion talk this early, but Russell did have 10 starts with moderate success last year so if he keeps this up he will certainly be promoted by June or July. Considering he has already had AA innings I fully expect the Sox to push Russell up if he maintains a sub or low 3 ERA.

Birmingham 5 @ Mobile 2 (Game 2)

Getz 1-2, HR, 2 BB, K, CS (2nd HR in doubleheader)

Chris Kelly 1-4, HR, K (4-8 in doubleheader) He's doing well so far, but seems to have gone with more of a contact approach than power as opposed to last year when he hit .244 in W-S but clubbed 20 HRs. Today's HR was his first extra base hit of the season while hitting .286.

Gio 5.1 IP, 2 R, 6 K, 2 BB, 6 hits (W, 2-0)

Day, 1.2 IP, 5 K, 1 hit (Save #3)

Kannapolis 3 @ Rome 11

Gomes 1-3, 2B, RBI

Jacob Rasner (guy we got in BMac trade) 4 IP, 6 R

I think the tough spot is that Charlotte's rotation looks to be pretty deep so those guys would have to go somewhere for spots in the rotation to open up.

And yes, this is a great thing to be talking about (since it means the org actually has some pitching depth). Harrell is another guy I'm keeping my eye on. He struggled in Bham but prior to that promotion the guy was just ridiculous at getting ground ball out after ground ball out.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
Harrell is another guy I'm keeping my eye on. He struggled in Bham but prior to that promotion the guy was just ridiculous at getting ground ball out after ground ball out.

Speaking of which where is he to start the year? milb.com has him on the Barons' roster, but the Barons' website does not and he hasn't made an appearance yet.

I thought Harrell was supposed to start in Winston-Salem, but he's not on the roster. Extended Spring Training possibly? I hope not, but where else could he be?

EDIT:

I found this on Whitesox.com:

RHP Lucas Harrell, a 2004 fourth-rounder, is in camp and rehabbing after getting his shoulder surgically "cleaned up" in the fall. He's expected to head to Great Falls in the Pioneer League in June after going 7-2 with a 2.45 ERA in 17 starts at Winston-Salem last year. He made three starts for Double-A Birmingham but was ineffective. "He's one of the best arms in the organization," Regier said. "His surgery was nothing major, though."
Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
I thought Harrell was supposed to start in Winston-Salem, but he's not on the roster. Extended Spring Training possibly? I hope not, but where else could he be?

EDIT:

I found this on Whitesox.com:

The Pioneer League doesn't start until late June, right?

Around the week or so after the draft...Dewon Day is looking more promising each week.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 01:09 AM)
The Pioneer League doesn't start until late June, right?

Correct. He won't be there for long, though, if he no ill effects from surgery. He should be back in Winston-Salem by July (giving him 4-5 starts in Great Falls to get back in the swing of things).

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(danman31 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:55 PM)
That's bad news about Harrell. If the surgery was nothing major he wouldn't be pitching in Rookie Ball in June.

Exactly, unless of course he ended up having the surgery after reporting to camp this spring (which may have been the case in which case you are only talking about 2 months till he's back). Still it will pretty much set it back a full season which stinks.

From Baseball America:

Birmingham starters had a 29-inning scoreless streak finally snapped when Gio Gonzalez two runs in the second-inning of Wednesday doubleheader. Adam Russell pitched six shutout innings in the first game and Gonzalez pitched quite effectively in the second game.

Impressive