DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 01:58 PM)
As I understand it, the 4049 includes FL and MI.

Unless CNN was dead wrong Sunday morning, it does not. They were talking about the impact of adding back MI and FL and how it would change the election.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)
Unless CNN was dead wrong Sunday morning, it does not. They were talking about the impact of adding back MI and FL and how it would change the election.

Yeah, I saw a segment like that too - but they were saying how that might make it possible for someone to reach the necessary delegates to win. Which I took to mean the ceiling hadn't changed. But then, I may have misunderstood. I probably did.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 08:05 AM)
Yeah, I saw a segment like that too - but they were saying how that might make it possible for someone to reach the necessary delegates to win. Which I took to mean the ceiling hadn't changed. But then, I may have misunderstood. I probably did.

At one point they flat out asked if the 2025 included MI and FL and they said no, and that the total needed to win would change if they were included.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 08:35 AM)
At one point they flat out asked if the 2025 included MI and FL and they said no, and that the total needed to win would change if they were included.

Gotcha. So, unless someone blows out those states, I guess this would make us no closer to getting a nominee prior to the convention.

Well, Clinton won OH and RI, Obama won VT, WY and they basically split TX down the middle.

Total net delegate gain for Clinton for the week? 4 delegates.

One delegate is left to be allocated from WY and it will most likely reflect the caucus voting (which means it most likely goes to Obama.)

Three more Super Delegates endorsed Obama last week. None endorsed Hillary.

Foster winning the Special Election makes him a Super Delegate at the Convention, thanks to Obama's help - Foster won. Foster is returning the favor with a vote for Obama at the Convention.

So despite a 12 point loss in Ohio, Obama walks away from his very bad week with one more delegate than Clinton got.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
Rasmussen issues a Mississippi poll...

3/5, 816 LV

Obama: 53%

Clinton: 39%

So the three polls out show Obama's lead as +14, +24 and +6. Kind of a wide range.

Update. Insider Advantage, the poll that was +6, did a new poll on the 9th. They now have Obama +17. Either I.A. is really lousy, or Obama's getting a bump - maybe because Clinton has seemingly conceded the state, and is campaigning in PA.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 02:36 PM)
There's a bump, but Clinton has been campaigning in MS.

However, she's gotten nasty and that won't fly well everywhere.

I think this election cycle has proven out that it won't fly in states where there is a bigger Africian American population. I really think this won't fly in MS, but might in PA.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Well, that's because people in Philly are just generally nasty anyway, so they're used to it.

My theory that people in Philly are so nasty because they had to watch the Athletics and Phillies for so many years.

Their combined records of futility would make anyone grouchy.

Colbert's "The Word" from last night:

Barack Obama has a big problem here. Sure, he’s winning a lot, but they’re just little states, like Maryland, Washington and Illinois. Hillary, Hillary is winning all the big states and everybody knows that if you win the big states in the party primary, you automatically win them in the general election. For example, did you know that the Democrat who won the Texas primary went on to win Texas in the general election in every one of the last eight elections? Therefore, Hillary will naturally win Texas in the general election. Now I’m not saying that Hillary Clinton doesn’t face some challenges, after all, John McCain won Texas in the Republican primary, which means by the same logic McCain will also win Texas in the general election. And folks, thanks to electronic voting, that might be possible. As for the states that neither Hillary nor McCain won in the primaries, I assume they will simply cease to exist. Now, the Obamamaniacs out there are saying, “Oh but Stephen, he won 26 states to her 16; he’s leading in the popular vote.” But, it’s not how many votes you get, it’s the geographic boundaries that contain those votes. Getting ten million votes in one state is way better than getting twelve million votes split between 2 states. So if Obama wants to compete, he’s going to have to win some big states, but there’s only one big states left: Pennsylvania. So his only chance here his only chance is to start making big states out of the small states he’s already won

Obama camp calls for Ferraro firing

The Obama campaign called for Geraldine Ferraro to step down as a member of the Clinton campaign’s finance committee for comments she made suggesting Obama’s race is why he’s a leading presidential candidate.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," Ferraro told Torrance CA’s Daily Breeze Friday as we and others reported this morning. "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept."

“They need to set a tone and do what we’ve done,” Axelrod said, adding later, “When you wink and nod, you are telling your supporters that anything goes.”

Clinton will not being firing woman who made racist comments:

In a relatively mild response, Clinton continued, "And both of us have had supporters and staff members who've gone over the line and we have to reign them in and try to keep this on the issues. There are big differences between us on the issues -- let's stay focused on that."

Somehow I doubt this will get the exposure I think it deserves.

Sinbad, along with singer Sheryl Crow, was on that 1996 trip to Bosnia that Clinton has described as a harrowing international experience that makes her tested and ready to answer a 3 a.m. phone call at the White House on day one, a claim for which she's taking much grief on the campaign trail.

Harrowing? Not that Sinbad recalls. He just remembers it being a USO tour to buck up the troops amid a much worse situation than he had imagined between the Bosnians and Serbs.

In an interview with the Sleuth Monday, he said the "scariest" part of the trip was wondering where he'd eat next. "I think the only 'red-phone' moment was: 'Do we eat here or at the next place.'"

Clinton, during a late December campaign appearance in Iowa, described a hair-raising corkscrew landing in war-torn Bosnia, a trip she took with her then-teenage daughter, Chelsea. "They said there might be sniper fire," Clinton said.

Threat of bullets? Sinbad doesn't remember that, either.

"I never felt that I was in a dangerous position. I never felt being in a sense of peril, or 'Oh, God, I hope I'm going to be OK when I get out of this helicopter or when I get out of his tank.'"

In her Iowa stump speech, Clinton also said, "We used to say in the White House that if a place is too dangerous, too small or too poor, send the First Lady."

Say what? As Sinbad put it: "What kind of president would say, 'Hey, man, I can't go 'cause I might get shot so I'm going to send my wife...oh, and take a guitar player and a comedian with you.'"

As you may have guessed by now, Sinbad isn't supporting Clinton for president. He's an Obama guy. All because of Clinton.

"What got me about Hillary was her attitude of entitlement, like he messed up her plan, like he had no reason to be there," Sinbad said. "I got angry. I actually got angry! I said, 'I will be for Obama like never before.'"

Geraldine Ferraro defends her racist remarks, makes more!

" 'Any time anybody does anything that in any way pulls this campaign down and says let's address reality and the problems we're facing in this world, you're accused of being racist, so you have to shut up,' Ferraro said. 'Racism works in two different directions. I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?'...

"Ferraro said she was simply stating an obvious truth, as seen in exit polls that show Obama taking as much as 80 percent of the black vote in the Democratic primaries.

" 'In all honesty, do you think that if he were a white male, there would be a reason for the black community to get excited for a historic first?' Ferraro said. 'Am I pointing out something that doesn't exist?' ...

"She also said she is familiar with [Obama adviser David] Axelrod from his work for minority candidates in New York.

" 'He knows damn well that the best thing to do in a situation like this is to come back and hit with race,' Ferraro said, adding that the response is a sign that the Obama campaign is 'worried' about the first-term senator's lack of experience.

:lolhitting no, those poll numbers are for his health care plan. Kap posted in the past day or two that Hispanics are still supporting Clinton in a big way in Texas, and I posted that Obama won areas with sizable Black populations. Anyone that has been reading for more than a month should know that neither Kap or I are racist. It is a damn shame when someone can point to something like this, comment in it, and then be called a racist.

And the obvious retort is that Clinton is doing really well with women, so that cuts both ways. And there are a lot of white males voting for McCain. Duh

The majority of people are most comfortable with people who look, talk, and act like they do. That is a huge edge in any popularity contest. And people are not studying the issues and carefully coming to a conclusion.