DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)
Is this still going to mean Obama got the most delegates overall?

I think it's a tie. 92-92. That is according to MSNBC.

CNN has Obama winning with the "final" results. but they seem to be projections based on polling.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
Tex, makes you wonder... why would they stop? Seems to help Hillary. ;)

You are complaining about a system that allowed Obama to LOSE the popular vote and GAIN more delegates? GMAB

They stopped bacause they were overrun and no one knew the results. At my precint, it was chaos. Everyone that wanted to get in could not. And this area went 75-25 for Clinton. So it would seem this did not help her.

Statewide over 800,000 people showed up when they were expecting 100,000. No one was ready for that.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Statewide over 800,000 people showed up when they were expecting 100,000. No one was ready for that.

I am STILL shocked that states are "surprised" by high turn out. Iowa should ahve been the early clue that this election is like none before. It's been over 2 months since Iowa and Texas wasnt prepared.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
I am STILL shocked that states are "surprised" by high turn out. Iowa should ahve been the early clue that this election is like none before. It's been over 2 months since Iowa and Texas wasnt prepared.

And there are still two steps before the state convention.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)

^^^^^^^^

I thought he was nothing but speeches?

Chicago, IL -- Senator Obama released the following statement on joining with Senator Chris Dodd to introduce legislation for a new FHA Housing Security Program.

"The subprime lending crisis continues to threaten the American Dream for millions of working families. Over two million households are at risk of foreclosure. The impact on our economy as a whole has been devastating, with a substantial and disturbing deterioration in our job market, housing market, and credit market in recent days. The decline in the housing market has left millions of people with mortgages that are larger than their homes are worth. Many Americans are choosing to walk away from their mortgages, which worsens the foreclosure problem, hurts property values for entire neighborhoods, and also substantially aggravates the credit crisis among lenders. That is why we urgently need a new strategy that allows homeowners to obtain mortgages with reasonable and fair terms, prevents foreclosures, and eases the credit crunch.

"It is past time for the federal government to take direct and decisive action. To provide immediate relief, I am proud to join with Chris Dodd – the Chairman of the Senate Banking Committee – to introduce legislation creating a new FHA Housing Security Program, which will provide meaningful incentives for lenders to buy or refinance existing mortgages, and to convert them into stable 30-year fixed mortgages so that homeowners facing foreclosure can keep their homes. This will provide a federal backstop for lenders to reduce the principal of loans that are priced higher than the value of a home so that they are affordable for homeowners. It is not a bailout for lenders or investors who gambled recklessly. It is not a windfall for borrowers. Instead, the Dodd-Obama bill is a responsible and fair way to help bring an end to the foreclosure crisis facing the country.

"This is part of my comprehensive mortgage agenda, which includes resources for pre-foreclosure counseling, a tax break to working families on their mortgage interest payments, and tough penalties on fraudulent lenders. We must provide immediate relief to American families and to the American economy, while also taking the necessary steps to prevent this crisis from happening again."

LINK

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
McCain challenges Dems to release their earmark details. Obama does so shortly after. Clinton referred questions to her Senate office, who hasn't responded.

All three say they support the ban on earmarks.

Clinton's earmark total in 2007 was 10th among the 100 Senators at $342M.

I'm sure she'll release her earmarks shortly after she releases her tax returns and White House documents.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 04:50 PM)
The web page you linked to says their goal was $500k for that day. That's hardly epic. That's 1/3 of the daily amount they took in during Feb.

Big difference in being able to take online donations by all of America and having a lunch and a couple cocktail receptions with a small group.

Edited by BigSqwert

Is Ferraro just a little mentally ill or something? Because reading this clip of her latest statements, she seems to be suffering from fairly acute paranoia, as well as projection.

One could make an argument that her original comments weren't as evil as some people took them to be. But... she's now basically saying that it was Obama's fault, and that the Obama camp "engineered" the whole incident. Is she also losing her short term memory?

Even in the days since Clinton's win in OH and draw in TX, the superdelegates have been continuing to back Obama - 9-to-1 in his favor during that stretch. Clinton's lead in supers, once well above 100 before Iowa, continues to shrink.

---

On a somewhat related note, if I'm in the Clinton or Obama campaigns right now, I am trying really hard to get Edwards to endorse and campaign in PA. The crowd he works best in, white working class, will probably be the difference maker there. Plus NC follows immediately after PA. And those 30 or so delegates that Edwards carries wouldn't hurt either.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 07:32 AM)
Is Ferraro just a little mentally ill or something? Because reading this clip of her latest statements, she seems to be suffering from fairly acute paranoia, as well as projection.

If you follow what the Clinton campaign says, you can see a pretty clear pattern of "projection".

Clinton Delegate Caucusing for Obama In Seattle

In February, I was elected a Clinton delegate in the neighborhood-level caucuses, and looked forward to trying to be appointed a delegate to the Democratic National Convention..... Sen. Clinton, I can no longer count myself in your ranks. I've decided that, barring some stunning revelation, Barack Obama has earned the Democratic nomination, fair and square. More importantly, I've decided that your campaign's tactics have crossed a line that should never be crossed. I no longer want to be associated with your effort to become the Democratic nominee.

I'm not sure exactly the cause of this, but, if you look at the two tracking polls for the Dem nomination, you see some interesting trends.

The Rasmussen 3-day tracking poll, had Obama with a very small lead, going into the 3/4 OH-TX-RI-VT primaries. His lead was in the 1 to 3 point range. Then after the results of 3/4, Clinton jumped ahead - by as much as 6 points (3 days after, in a 3 day poll). Since then however, not only has Clinton's lead vanished, but it appears that Obama is picking up an even larger lead then he had prior to 3/4. He now has an 8 point lead, according to them - which is as large as any lead he's had the entire race.

Gallup's poll doesn't show as much of an Obama lead - just 2 points - but the same trend. Obama picking up steam shortly after the 3/4 results soaked in.

Is this because of Ferraro? Or Mississippi? Or Clinton's tactics? Or has Obama's slight change in demeanor had an effect?

No idea. But its interesting to see.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
I'm not sure exactly the cause of this, but, if you look at the two tracking polls for the Dem nomination, you see some interesting trends.

The Rasmussen 3-day tracking poll, had Obama with a very small lead, going into the 3/4 OH-TX-RI-VT primaries. His lead was in the 1 to 3 point range. Then after the results of 3/4, Clinton jumped ahead - by as much as 6 points (3 days after, in a 3 day poll). Since then however, not only has Clinton's lead vanished, but it appears that Obama is picking up an even larger lead then he had prior to 3/4. He now has an 8 point lead, according to them - which is as large as any lead he's had the entire race.

Gallup's poll doesn't show as much of an Obama lead - just 2 points - but the same trend. Obama picking up steam shortly after the 3/4 results soaked in.

Is this because of Ferraro? Or Mississippi? Or Clinton's tactics? Or has Obama's slight change in demeanor had an effect?

No idea. But its interesting to see.

What do you mean by this?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)

he's really come out more of a fighter. In the past he just kind of stood back, took the blows. Brushed them off and moved on. now he is more fighting back and taking her on and directly calling he rout on stuff.

My guess is that since she came off as a "fighter" in OH and TX, he wants to respond to show he is tough.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)

Well, it seems to me he's changed his affect a bit. Athomeboy brings up the fighter thing, but, I think that's only part of it - he has indeed responded to the attacks much more forcefully and bluntly lately. That's probably helping. But I meant something more than that too. If you see his public demeanor, he's taken on a different style. Less preachy, more to-the-point. Held held a little lower - more piercing in his gaze, less of the head-up analytical thing. Its subtle - not as dramatic as the various identities of Mrs. Clinton - but its still a definite change.