DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
Oh, I think I get what you're doing now. Pointlessly s***-disturbing. All I needed was a few more examples of senseless posts to catch on.

I can keep going if you want. If it'll help you out. Really though, there is a point and if you missed it thats fine.

Quick recap of all I have heard to date:

• 3 separate people on 3 separate occasions
  • Dates were Jan 9, Feb 21, Mar 14
  • 2 have been fired, 1 reprimanded and case still open.
  • No criminal investigations
  • Condi Rice was only notified yesterday
  • Obama campaign was notified by a low level official late this afternoon. NOT notified by Rice.
  • Rice was notified by a senior staff member who was informed by a REPORTER!
Correction: removed the comments about Rice knowing. It might have been a mis-report by a newspaper. It was a report to run tomorrow that was on the webpage today. So, their "yesterday" comment might have actually been referring to today. Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
They happened Jan 9, Feb 21, Mar 14.

Three separate events by 3 separate people.

For reference, according to TPM, those 3 dates are:

That would be the day after the New Hampshire primary, the day of the Democratic debate in Texas and the day the Wright story really hit.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 07:12 AM)
Richardson endorses Obama. Wish he would have done that right before Texas though.

Yes, but just in time for crucial race in Puerto Rico! Better late than never. It must have been difficult considering he was friends with the Clintons. Perhaps Richardson realizes that the same Clinton machine would be appealing to bigots if he had been winning.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 08:07 AM)
Yes, but just in time for crucial race in Puerto Rico! Better late than never. It must have been difficult considering he was friends with the Clintons. Perhaps Richardson realizes that the same Clinton machine would be appealing to bigots if he had been winning.

Unless this endorsement opens the floodgates for superdelegates (which I doubt) then it isn't very impactful since 9 out of the 10 remaining primaries are light in the hispanic demographic.

it's impactful for me. Richardson was probably the most experience democrat running, and they are going to Obama. And an Obama Richardson ticket I think really can change the delegate map of this country and make it easier for Obama to win even WITHOUT ohio and florida.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
it's impactful for me. Richardson was probably the most experience democrat running, and they are going to Obama. And an Obama Richardson ticket I think really can change the delegate map of this country and make it easier for Obama to win even WITHOUT ohio and florida.

You beat me to it. I think we just learned Obama's VP. I think there are three reasons why Richardson will make a great VP...

1) Experience (U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and U.S. Secretary of Energy)

2) Personality

3) Latinos. I heard a while abck that there is a beliefe that if Hillary is not elected, the Latinos might actually vote for McCain. I dont knwo the reasoning, but htat is what i heard. So, a Richardson VP would shut that down.

The endorsement is ok if he has the weight in the DNC. The whole thing is going to come down to who is liked by whom.

Edwards needs to do something although I get the feeling Hill may be going after him as a V.P. and a big win in NC which with a big win in PA could garner her the support she needs to go to the convention.

If Richardson has enough pull with the Dem Party as whole he could put an end to the Hill crusade.....I know wishful thinking.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 07:03 AM)
You beat me to it. I think we just learned Obama's VP. I think there are three reasons why Richardson will make a great VP...

1) Experience (U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and U.S. Secretary of Energy)

2) Personality

3) Latinos. I heard a while abck that there is a beliefe that if Hillary is not elected, the Latinos might actually vote for McCain. I dont knwo the reasoning, but htat is what i heard. So, a Richardson VP would shut that down.

He may make a great VP, but I don't think this endorsement suggests that he's guaranteed the spot. If he'd endorsed him a few weeks back when it might have mattered more electorally, I would tend to agree more. But this strikes me more as the cutting-your-losses type of endorsement.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
He may make a great VP, but I don't think this endorsement suggests that he's guaranteed the spot. If he'd endorsed him a few weeks back when it might have mattered more electorally, I would tend to agree more. But this strikes me more as the cutting-your-losses type of endorsement.

Oh dont get me wrong. I am not implying that this endorsement was secured with the promise of VP. I am simply saying that I think he is at the top of Obama's short list. If Richardson had gone and endorsed Clinton, I dont think he would be.

Clinton Lied About Fundraising Totals

The Los Angeles Times reports, after scouring Federal Elections Commission (FEC) reports that Clinton’s, uh, creative math, included “$10 million from her Senate campaign account and a $5-million personal loan.”

The Associated Press digs deeper into the numbers (the February filing reports came in yesterday) and notes that most of the $19 million that Clinton did raise in February was either offset by unpaid bills or was “general election” money (what big donors, lobbyists and PACs that have already given the maximum $2,300 to the primary campaign then give to a fund that can only be used if the candidate becomes the nominee)

Richardson endorses Obama? I have to admit, I didn't think that was likely. But I do think it says something, for a former Clinton administration guy to do that. Richardson could be a lot of help in PR, and maybe a small help in other states, if he goes and campaigns for Obama.

Edwards is the last big piece now. And frankly, Edwards is a LOT more help in PA and NC than Richardson is. If Edwards endorses Hillary and campaigns for her, I think PA becomes a huge win for her and she might even take NC. If he endorses Obama, that means Obama has a shot to win PA, and will roll through NC. Plus he still has some delegates to spread out.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)
I can keep going if you want. If it'll help you out. Really though, there is a point and if you missed it thats fine.

I would love to hear your reason for these posts from you lately - which frankly don't seem to serve any purpose other than to piss people off.

The Clinton Myth and the Supposed Two-Way Race

...One big fact has largely been lost in the recent coverage of the Democratic presidential race: Hillary Rodham Clinton has virtually no chance of winning.

Her own campaign acknowledges there is no way that she will finish ahead in pledged delegates. That means the only way she wins is if Democratic superdelegates are ready to risk a backlash of historic proportions from the party’s most reliable constituency.

Unless Clinton is able to at least win the primary popular vote — which also would take nothing less than an electoral miracle — and use that achievement to pressure superdelegates, she has only one scenario for victory. An African-American opponent and his backers would be told that, even though he won the contest with voters, the prize is going to someone else.

People who think that scenario is even remotely likely are living on another planet...