DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
you guys sound like the nomination has already been won by Clinton, what gives??

It's really starting to look like that's the case.

I don't see how she gets away with blatantly lying all the time.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)

Dude...with what the current administration has manged to get away with...

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)

Clinton has about a 10% chance, at best, of winning the nomination. Even her own people say that.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)

The Clintons have done this for a decade and a half, and everyone has made excuses for them. It works, why would they change now?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
Clinton has about a 10% chance, at best, of winning the nomination. Even her own people say that.

You are correct. Apparently she's doing her best to make sure that Obama has a 10% chance of beating McCain.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
You are correct. Apparently she's doing her best to make sure that Obama has a 10% chance of beating McCain.

You know, I've seen people here say that the GOP has no chance in November for any number of reasons (Bush, McCain not bringing out the base, Bush, the Iraq War, Bush, the economy, Bush). Then I hear other people saying the exact same thing of Obama (race, the Wright sermons, race, lack of experience, race), and also of Clinton (she's a Clinton, she'll bring out the conservative base, she's a Clinton, impressions of falsehood, she's a Clinton, voted for the Iraq War, she's a Clinton).

I think November will be a very tight race, regardless of who wins the Dem nomination.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:54 PM)
You know, I've seen people here say that the GOP has no chance in November for any number of reasons (Bush, McCain not bringing out the base, Bush, the Iraq War, Bush, the economy, Bush). Then I hear other people saying the exact same thing of Obama (race, the Wright sermons, race, lack of experience, race), and also of Clinton (she's a Clinton, she'll bring out the conservative base, she's a Clinton, impressions of falsehood, she's a Clinton, voted for the Iraq War, she's a Clinton).

I think November will be a very tight race, regardless of who wins the Dem nomination.

Seeing that even her camp thinks her chances are remote then why is her campaign dragging Obama in the mud and prolonging this? What is the ultimate purpose? It's definitely not good for the party. I think we can all agree on that.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
Seeing that even her camp thinks her chances are remote then why is her campaign dragging Obama in the mud and prolonging this? What is the ultimate purpose? It's definitely not good for the party. I think we can all agree on that.

She is dragging it out because even with a 10% chance, she is going to fight to the end. The only way she drops out before Denver is if Obama beats her in PA - which I think is highly unlikely.

There is still time for whatever Democratic nominee to fix a lot of the damage, after all, McCain seems to be having no trouble doing it. But it looks increasingly unlikely the longer Hillary's scorched earth nonsense goes on. The thing that upsets me is that Hillary's supporters are completely blind to it and they say "But Obama is doing it too!" Not really, Obama is forced to play defense, and after all the baiting he's gotten he still won't go negative on anyone in the Democratic party. He'll go after issues, inconsistencies in statements, exaggerated claims, sure. But he's not been fighting below the belt and then turning around and whining about the media. That's all been Hillary and it doesn't take an Obama supporter to see that.

Interesting line in the article about Richardson's endorsement of Obama, and his phone call to Clinton to tell her...

Richardson said when he called Clinton to tell her of his decision, she was "gracious," but the conversation was "heated."

I'm pretty sure that's political jargon for "she told me if I ever see her again she'd shoot me in the face with a bazooka".

If Obama can get Edwards to endorse him before PA and campaign for him, there is still a chance he could ice the nomination by the end of April.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
Interesting line in the article about Richardson's endorsement of Obama, and his phone call to Clinton to tell her...

I'm pretty sure that's political jargon for "she told me if I ever see her again she'd shoot me in the face with a bazooka".

If Obama can get Edwards to endorse him before PA and campaign for him, there is still a chance he could ice the nomination by the end of April.

Carvell basically called Richardson a Judas .... on Good Friday. Supposedly, Richardson and slick Willie had a pretty heated phone conversation as well and Obama's campaign has compared Willie to Eugene McCarthy. This is fun s***.

The Truth Be Told?

Makes you think about what Dick Morris, a former adviser to the Bill Clinton, said about Hillary: "She's deceitful. She'll make up any story. Lie about anything. As long as it servers her purpose at the moment. And the american people are going to catch onto it."

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
Makes you think about what Dick Morris, a former adviser to the Bill Clinton, said about Hillary: "She's deceitful. She'll make up any story. Lie about anything. As long as it servers her purpose at the moment. And the american people are going to catch onto it."

I have no faith in the general public to catch onto anything ever.

Hillary gave an economic policy speech this morning, outlining some moves that could be taken to try to patch over the housing market collapse. Some of them included; having the Federal government purchase some packages of the poorly performing mortgage backed securities from investment banks (Basically what the Fed has been doing except on a more permanent basis with the government footing the bill for the ones that fail), a freeze on sub-prime mortgage rates, and some amount of legal protection to make it easier for investment banks to restructure people's mortgages without being sued by investors. I think I liket the sound of the latter one, I'm not sure I like the bailout concept, but there's one that seems to have pissed a bunch of people off, including me:

Clinton also called on President Bush to appoint "an emergency working group on foreclosures" to recommend new ways to confront housing finance troubles. She said the panel should be led by financial experts such as Robert Rubin, who was treasury secretary in her husband's administration, and former Federal Reserve chairmen Alan Greenspan and Paul Volcker.
Yes, that's right. In order to fix the mortgage mess, we ought to turn to people like Alan "Yes, here, take out this ARM...yes...yessss" Greenspan and Robert Rubin of Citi "as big of a part of the problem as anyone" Group. Somehow, I just can't see that as being a great idea. Edited by Balta1701

A bit of concern from one of the more connected members of the Dem blogosphere world:

I have heard that fundraising for congressional candidates is starting to dry up. Partially this is because the Clinton and Obama campaigns are now raising about $2.5M a day online, and there just isn't much left over (and Clinton does not have much in the bank even with the amounts she is raising). However, even in the midst of lower online fundraising for congressional candidates, Barack Obama once again demonstrated his ability to bring coattails in the general election when Bill Foster when the special election for Dennis Hastert's old seat in IL-14. While the lengthy campaign is hurting our downticket campaigns, Obama is providing just about the only coattails we have left.
It's entirely possible that the campaign continuing to drag on for another 4 weeks or more will be more than enough to hamper the efforts of the lower level Dems to fundraise from the same group of supporters.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
Yes, that's right. In order to fix the mortgage mess, we ought to turn to people like Alan "Yes, here, take out this ARM...yes...yessss" Greenspan and Robert Rubin of Citi "as big of a part of the problem as anyone" Group. Somehow, I just can't see that as being a great idea.

Oh joy, just what we need. A candidate who challenges John McCain on who knows less about what they're saying on the economy.

So the (Philadelphia) Daily News asked, why Greenspan, that wasn't he off-base on the housing bubble, and here was her response:

"Not only that, but the Fed didn't act while he was there. But he has a calming influence still to this day on Wall Street -- don't ask me why because I never understand what he's saying -- but nevertheless people respond to that Delphic oracle approach. I think it would be wise to include him. And recently he's come out and vert smartly so that we have to deal with housing and maybe we need to have some kind of buyout mechanism for mortgages. So he's moved on his understanding and depth of the problem -- but you know you could pick three others. You just have to have some demonstrable involvement of presidential leadership...