DEM Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 03:01 PM)
i hear ya. I believe 501c3s are not allowed to be political, but i am not sure.

Edit: i stand corrected.

Not a problem at all. Basically all it says is they perform some charitable function and are tax exempt. Which is different then just being a non profit. Most registered non profits are not charities, but the terms get misused interchangeably.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
CNN and MSNBC both reporting that the FL Democratic Party is saying there WILL BE NO re-do of a primary there. No details yet.

With that off the table, I'd guess the DNC continues to stall FL, and then agrees to seat them 50-50 or something.

I think it'll be 50-50 or make each delegate count as half. The latter is more "democratic" since it represents how the voters voted.. they just count as half.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
I think it'll be 50-50 or make each delegate count as half. The latter is more "democratic" since it represents how the voters voted.. they just count as half.

They could just do 3/5s if they want to really disenfranchise everyone...

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
So, Obama's speech... does it turn things around for him and get him some good press?

Obviously Faux News wont drop it, but i think the media at large will drop this Wright thing and move momentum back to Obama again.

I would expect the story to die down. CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC will defend Obama for a day or two. FOX will question whether Obama did enough to distance himself for a couple days. All the media outlets are going to have to eventually let this one go.

The bigger question is if there will be lingering damage to Obama.

Personally, I don't think Obama believes the Rev Wright rhetoric. Rather that Wright was an important political ally for Obama early in his political career, and he probably feels a sense of loyalty to the guy so will defend him to a certain point, but he has repeatedly disavowed the radical comments.

Murtha endorses Clinton. This plus the PA gov being pro-Clinton are two body blows to Obama in the last big state on the map.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/19/mur...nton/index.html

(CNN) -- Rep. John Murtha, a former Marine and Vietnam War veteran who has become one of Congress' most outspoken critics of the Iraq war, on Tuesday endorsed Sen. Hillary Clinton for president, saying she is "the candidate that will forge a consensus on health care, education, the economy and the war in Iraq."

Iraq war critic Rep. John Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, has endorsed Sen. Hillary Clinton for president.

"In 10 months, President Bush will leave office," said Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, in a written statement. "Our country is worse off today than when he took office over seven years ago."

He said he has known Clinton, D-New York, for 15 years and that "she continually reaches out for opinions and ideas, not just from our nation's leaders, but from all Americans."

"This week, she highlighted the policy failures in Iraq and addressed the real challenges we face in regards to rebuilding our military, restoring our readiness and fully preparing our armed forces to meet and deter future threats," Murtha said. "I know that Senator Clinton has a similar position that I have in regards to the war in Iraq. Her experience and careful consideration of these issues convinced me that she is best qualified to lead our nation and to bring credibility back to the White House."

Murtha recently told Congressional Quarterly that he and fellow Pennsylvania Democrats Rep. Mike Doyle and Rep. Robert Brady would vote as a bloc in the presidential election. Also, several elected officials close to Murtha had held off making their own endorsements pending his decision.

Murtha, 75, initially supported the Iraq war, although he criticized the Bush administration's handling of it and supported fellow Democratic Sen. John Kerry for president in 2004. He completed the about-face in November 2005 when he called for the immediate redeployment of U.S. troops from Iraq, saying, "U.S. and coalition troops have done all they can ... it's time for a change in direction." He was the first of senior lawmakers to call for an immediate withdrawal. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 08:22 AM)
Murtha endorses Clinton. This plus the PA gov being pro-Clinton are two body blows to Obama in the last big state on the map.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/19/mur...nton/index.html

Obama had an enormous uphill battle in PA to begin with. Unless he suddenly gets Edwards to endorse him and campaign the mining towns for him, or Clinton has a major gaffe... he isn't going to win PA. Its a weak state for him. His ground game will undoubtedly be good, and he'll benefit from it being a closed primary (not GOP interlopers), which will help him keep it close. But I really doubt he can win it.

Certainly, one of the interesting things about this Dem race has been who has won what. Clinton did well in OH, and will do well in PA - 2 of the big three swing states from 2004 (FL being the other, who didn't have a real primary). But, looking at all the other states that are considered swing - IA, MO, CO, NM, WA, WI, VA - he won almost all of them (all but NM, which he still was very close in). Its been an interesting contest.

I really lose all respect for the dopes that backed the war and then just feel we should up and leave. We made our bed now we need to lie in it. I love the hindsite being 20/20 of these morons.

If you leave Iraq in shambles, it becomes hot bed for terrorism as there is no governemnt in place. That is the intent of the attcks now.

You can not just up and leave and let the place fester.

Fools.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
I really lose all respect for the dopes that backed the war and then just feel we should up and leave. We made our bed now we need to lie in it. I love the hindsite being 20/20 of these morons.

If you leave Iraq in shambles, it becomes hot bed for terrorism as there is no governemnt in place. That is the intent of the attcks now.

Fools.

So you mean Clinton, then? Since this is the Dem candidate thread, and she is the one who backed the war? Where does the plural "fools" come from?

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)

Fools.

What about those with the 20/20 foresight that invading Iraq was going to be a huge disaster?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)
So you mean Clinton, then? Since this is the Dem candidate thread, and she is the one who backed the war? Where does the plural "fools" come from?

Murtha, Clinton anyone who feels and preaches you can simply leave a country you decided to invade and overthrow. That is not how it works.

Sorry I did not point out that I was pointing this out as a simple reason why peolpe like Murtha should be ridiculed.

I am an Obama backer.

Look back at how WWI ended and how it lead to WWII. You can not not leave a country and people in disarray and expect good things to happen. You abandon Iraq now and god knows what will happen over there.

If Iraq was a success Obama would not be in this race right now.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 09:52 AM)
I would hope not, considering his own mother is white.

I thought about this last night. A few weeks ago Hillary went on this rant about Obama is just words. What are his actions? What has he done?

Well, let's turn this on it's head. What has Obama done that would lend people to think he actually follows the believes of Wright? Look at his ACTIONS! His actions tend to be the exact opposite.

Hillary's Nasty Pastorate

You can find all about it in a widely under-read article in the September 2007 issue of Mother Jones, in which Kathryn Joyce and Jeff Sharlet reported that "through all of her years in Washington, Clinton has been an active participant in conservative Bible study and prayer circles that are part of a secretive Capitol Hill group known as the "Fellowship," aka The Family. But it won't be a secret much longer. Jeff Sharlet's shocking exposé, The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power will be published in May....

In 2002, writer Jeff Sharlet joined the Family's home for young men, foreswearing sex, drugs, and alcohol, and participating in endless discussions of Jesus and power. He wasn't undercover; he used his own name and admitted to being a writer. But he wasn't completely out of danger either. When he went outdoors one night to make a cell phone call, he was followed. He still gets calls from Family associates asking him to meet them in diners - alone...

At the heart of the Family's American branch is a collection of powerful rightwing politicos, who include, or have included, Sam Brownback, Ed Meese, John Ashcroft, James Inhofe, and Rick Santorum. They get to use the Family's spacious estate on the Potomac, the Cedars, which is maintained by young men in Family group homes and where meals are served by the Family's young women's group. And, at the Family's frequent prayer gatherings, they get powerful jolts of spiritual refreshment, tailored to the already-powerful...

Obama has given a beautiful speech on race and his affiliation with the Trinity Unity Church of Christ. Now it's up to Clinton to explain - or, better yet, renounce - her longstanding connection with the fascist-leaning Family.

New York Times - No Evidence in HRC Paper's to back her experience claims

The documents offer no support for her claims, made during the presidential campaign, that she helped to negotiate the Irish peace accords or facilitated the flow of refugees in the Balkans. Neither is there evidence in them to back up her claim that she helped pass the Family and Medical Leave Act, the first legislation Mr. Clinton signed as president. The legislation, sponsored by Senator Christopher J. Dodd, Democrat of Connecticut, sailed through Congress and landed on Mr. Clinton’s desk 10 days after he was inaugurated. Indeed, on the day Mr. Clinton signed the bill into law, Feb. 5, 1993, there is no indication on that day’s calendar that she attended.