GOP Primaries/Candidates thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
That's pretty much how I feel. If she would have done it somewhere else, fine, freedom of speech and all, but when you are at your place of employment, you cross into the line of swinging your fist into someone else's nose. This is someone elses bottom line we are talking about potentially.

She was on the Street!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
She was on the Street!

As mentioned, we do not have all the facts, but when has that stopped us before :lolhitting

I understand that, but she just finished as her job, hosting him. I don't think you can just "clock out" and move 3" past the front door. The connection was from her job and it seems there is room there for abusing. Put another way, my employer's name opens doors. If I use that name to promote my own agenda, I would expect to be fired.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
As mentioned, we do not have all the facts, but when has that stopped us before :lolhitting

I understand that, but she just finished as her job, hosting him. I don't think you can just "clock out" and move 3" past the front door. The connection was from her job and it seems there is room there for abusing. Put another way, my employer's name opens doors. If I use that name to promote my own agenda, I would expect to be fired.

I don't know if that was the situation or not. All I know is she was 'on the street'. She had her daughter with with her and just may have come from home. Regardless, once she crosses that threshold and is off the clock, and if she's not wearing a uniform or something, she's nothing more than a citizen and every right to ask her elected representative a question about his policies.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)
I don't know if that was the situation or not. All I know is she was 'on the street'. She had her daughter with with her and just may have come from home. Regardless, once she crosses that threshold and is off the clock, and if she's not wearing a uniform or something, she's nothing more than a citizen and every right to ask her elected representative a question about his policies.

Maybe it is just because of the industry I work in, but information you gather at work is supposed to be just that. I could get indicted for using information I gather at work to my own benefit. I know that it is not that extreme for others, but even if you just look at the fact that by using that information, they could be impacting her employers bottom line, they have every right in the world to fire her. I know if I was in her shoes, I would have another job in my pocket before I confronted a high ranking politician who was coming out of my place of employment.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:27 PM)

I would tend to agree if that was the case. But if she used her position to get near him, then it's a whole new ball game.

As I said gentlemen, I don't know if she had inside info or not. And I used those words to emphasize the possibility. But, based on that being an unknown at this point, my opinion is that she had every right to question an elected representative ... and I emphasize the word representative as well ... on the way he was representing her as a constituant.

Edited by YASNY

If you owned the theater and you had an employee who would be costing you money by attacking your customers, should you not have the right to terminate their employment? If a McDonalds employee followed someone out the restaurant and started yelling at them, it would seem reasonable to take action regarding their employment. She basically just pissed off your customer. That ain't cool.

But your point is strong, and without the facts, we're just debating shadows which look different to you and I.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:44 PM)
If you owned the theater and you had an employee who would be costing you money by attacking your customers, should you not have the right to terminate their employment? If a McDonalds employee followed someone out the restaurant and started yelling at them, it would seem reasonable to take action regarding their employment. She basically just pissed off your customer. That ain't cool.

But your point is strong, and without the facts, we're just debating shadows which look different to you and I.

Oh, I can certainly see your and Mike's points. I think it's a matter of what your priority is. Is it the right of the business owner (and this will be a totally biased comment ... to cowtow to the big powerful politician's wishes) or is it the right of the citizen to question her elected representative, as a simple citizen on the street (agiain, biased). Based on what I know, and only what I know, I'm leaning toward the rights of the citizen exercizing her constitutional rights.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)

definitely. if i just got off work and we had some representatives from China at work ,whom I have working with on large data systems, and started screaming at them about communism, Authoritarianism, bla bla. my ass would get fired (and i would totally deserve to be fired). even if i was yelling at them on Wabash and not inside the building

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
definitely. if i just got off work and we had some representatives from China at work ,whom I have working with on large data systems, and started screaming at them about communism, Authoritarianism, bla bla. my ass would get fired (and i would totally deserve to be fired). even if i was yelling at them on Wabash and not inside the building

Yes, but you should be fired for your avatar. :lolhitting

The general feeling I'm getting from the press appears to be that McCain performed fairly poorly, although not so horrendously bad as to hurt anything. Sandwiched between winning Florida, being endorsed by Rudy, and being endorsed by Governor A**-grabber tomorrow, it probably won't make a difference.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2008 -> 09:40 PM)
The general feeling I'm getting from the press appears to be that McCain performed fairly poorly, although not so horrendously bad as to hurt anything. Sandwiched between winning Florida, being endorsed by Rudy, and being endorsed by Governor A**-grabber tomorrow, it probably won't make a difference.

Whoa, Bill Clinton is endorsing McCain? I don't even think that helps McCain.

McCain wasn't great tonight, but he continues to distinguish himself from Romney and Huckabee, which is the whole reason he's in the lead in the first place. He's simply playing to his base IMO, which is probably going to get him the nomination since Romney and Huckabee keep splitting the whacky, Limbaugh right winger votes, and Huckabee won't drop out before next Tuesday.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Here's a lotta interesting stuff on McCain's position in relation to having accepted public financing for his campaign and whether or not he can get out of /get around that pledge.

Perhaps the most interesting part, McCain pledged to accept public financing for the period after the conventions last year as long as his opponent did. Only 1 Democrat made a similar pledge. Obama. In other words, for fundraising reasons...an Obama candidacy may well hamstring a McCain candidacy a lot more than a Clinton one could.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
Here's a lotta interesting stuff on McCain's position in relation to having accepted public financing for his campaign and whether or not he can get out of /get around that pledge.

Perhaps the most interesting part, McCain pledged to accept public financing for the period after the conventions last year as long as his opponent did. Only 1 Democrat made a similar pledge. Obama. In other words, for fundraising reasons...an Obama candidacy may well hamstring a McCain candidacy a lot more than a Clinton one could.

How would both candidates being on a level playing field handicap McCain? Besides, I would much rather seem them out campaigning, versus fundraising.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
How would both candidates being on a level playing field handicap McCain? Besides, I would much rather seem them out campaigning, versus fundraising.

I for one would love to see a McCain v Obama race, and even better if they actually had to do it with minimal fundraising and a lot of grass-roots campaigning.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
Because Obama can still spend the Primary money up to the convention.

McCain can't spend money he doesn't have prior to the conventions. He would have to go dark. As of January 1, his campaign was in debt 5 million.

And more importantly...he's spent somewhere around $40 million according to most estimates. The pre-convention limit is around $50 million. Which would mean that from here until the GOP convention, he'd have about $10 million to spend. He doesn't have to worry about debt now that he has the nomination, he has to worry about the spending limits.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
And more importantly...he's spent somewhere around $40 million according to most estimates. The pre-convention limit is around $50 million. Which would mean that from here until the GOP convention, he'd have about $10 million to spend. He doesn't have to worry about debt now that he has the nomination, he has to worry about the spending limits.

If McCain pulls off big wins on super Tuesday, he won't need to spend much more money.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
If McCain pulls off big wins on super Tuesday, he won't need to spend much more money.

You're totally underestimating how much time and expense there is in 6 months of a campaign. Running a campaign for 6 months on $10 million means basically shutting down for that 6 months. You can't go on the air with anything, i.e. if some "Hanois POW's for truth" comes along and starts running ads and writing a book saying that you were a wuss and betrayed your country. You're limited on travel, and especially on which states you can travel to (because the spending limits are also drawn along state lines). Most importantly, you're essentially prevented from spending money to build infrastructure for a campaign, opening offices, building up phone lists, prepping for the final push, etc.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
You're totally underestimating how much time and expense there is in 6 months of a campaign. Running a campaign for 6 months on $10 million means basically shutting down for that 6 months. You can't go on the air with anything, i.e. if some "Hanois POW's for truth" comes along and starts running ads and writing a book saying that you were a wuss and betrayed your country. You're limited on travel, and especially on which states you can travel to (because the spending limits are also drawn along state lines). Most importantly, you're essentially prevented from spending money to build infrastructure for a campaign, opening offices, building up phone lists, prepping for the final push, etc.

Well, McCain is running on being able to cut "the fat" out of government. He should be able to coast home on $10,000,000 if he wins big on super Tuesday. Any attempt at saying McCain is a 'pussy' because he was tortured as POW will backfire in epic proportions in this election. Wishful thinking on your part thinking McCain is doomed because of funds.