trade for an outfielder

Bubba Philips

I would say that outfielders are the most common comodity in mlb. True centerfielders that can hit, field and throw are more of a rarity. Anderson could do 2 out of 3. Here is the question.. with many teams that are deep in outfield talent and I believe we maybe deep enough in pitching prospects to lure away one of these outfielders. What trade would you propose.? Remembering that a better pitching prospect or reliever would get you a better major league ready outfielder. Who could we get reasonalbly aquire?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK....I'll play along...

Lance Broadway, Logan and BA for Rocco Baldelli

If that is all it takes then why isn't this deal done already. We are in obvious need of a quality OFer/leadoff/2 hitter and all it takes is Broadway, Logan, and BA? What the hell are we waiting for?

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 02:08 AM)
OK....I'll play along...

Lance Broadway, Logan and BA for Rocco Baldelli

With the premium already established for pitchers, why would it take 2, plus BA, to make that deal? Besides, I don't think they would want BA.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the premium already established for pitchers, why would it take 2, plus BA, to make that deal? Besides, I don't think they would want BA.

I don't think they would want him either, but who is the best player in this deal? Wouldn't you say Baldelli is? I would. Since that is the case the White Sox are getting the better end of it. I would give up all of those players for Baldelli. What is stopping this from happening?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:10 AM)
I don't think they would want him either, but who is the best player in this deal? Wouldn't you say Baldelli is? I would. Since that is the case the White Sox are getting the better end of it. I would give up all of those players for Baldelli. What is stopping this from happening?

One, they probably have no interest in BA at this point. He has to prove SOMETHING at Charlotte.

Two, Baldelli is injured again, not sure if he's on the DL or not, but he's always getting little nagging injuries.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One, they probably have no interest in BA at this point. He has to prove SOMETHING at Charlotte.

Two, Baldelli is injured again, not sure if he's on the DL or not, but he's always getting little nagging injuries.

1 - then place someone else in that deal instead of Anderson - who cares.

2 - Baldelli played yesterday as far as I know. I believe he hit a HR. He had a bruised knee, nothing serious.

GET'ER DONE!

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:28 AM)
1 - then place someone else in that deal instead of Anderson - who cares.

2 - Baldelli played yesterday as far as I know. I believe he hit a HR. He had a bruised knee, nothing serious.

GET'ER DONE!

If you're the D-Rays, you reject BA as part of the deal. You ask for either Fields or Sweeney. At that point, KW is likely to say no, and there's no deal.

You can't or probably shouldn't trade Sweeney OR Fields, Logan and Broadway for Rocco Baldelli, because Baldelli's not nearly the caliber of player that Crawford is...and we need what Crawford can do in LF (assuming Pods is "iffy" for the rest of the season) than to replace Erstad.

It's a lot cheaper to go out and get a full-time 1B/DH type of player than Rocco Baldelli.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:35 AM)
If you're the D-Rays, you reject BA as part of the deal. You ask for either Fields or Sweeney. At that point, KW is likely to say no, and there's no deal.

You can't or probably shouldn't trade Sweeney OR Fields, Logan and Broadway for Rocco Baldelli, because Baldelli's not nearly the caliber of player that Crawford is...and we need what Crawford can do in LF (assuming Pods is "iffy" for the rest of the season) than to replace Erstad.

It's a lot cheaper to go out and get a full-time 1B/DH type of player than Rocco Baldelli.

why would the rays want sweeney or BA. the reason they want to trade baldelli is because they have too many of'ers and hes the most expensive.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)
why would the rays want sweeney or BA. the reason they want to trade baldelli is because they have too many of'ers and hes the most expensive.

The DRays would want 3 young pitchers. They don't need position playesrs. They would ask for a closer , I'm guessing MacDougal or Jenks, a younger relief arm like Aardsma/Sisco/Logan, and a good starting pospect like Gonzalez. Baldelli's contract is a dream and in the offsseason the DRays wanted Saltallamachia, Yunel Escobar, and Chuck James for him. It might not take a package that good, but something close to it to get him.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
The DRays would want 3 young pitchers. They don't need position playesrs. They would ask for a closer , I'm guessing MacDougal or Jenks, a younger relief arm like Aardsma/Sisco/Logan, and a good starting pospect like Gonzalez. Baldelli's contract is a dream and in the offsseason the DRays wanted Saltallamachia, Yunel Escobar, and Chuck James for him. It might not take a package that good, but something close to it to get him.

They would want at least one ML ready arm to go along with Kazmir. I think any deal would have to include a young starter, or someone who can start. So, it would have to include Danks or Masset and I'm not giving up either one of those. So until the D-Rays get their collective heads out of their arse all of their players are staying put. At least not coming to the Sox.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 10:47 AM)
They would want at least one ML ready arm to go along with Kazmir. I think any deal would have to include a young starter, or someone who can start. So, it would have to include Danks or Masset and I'm not giving up either one of those. So until the D-Rays get their collective heads out of their arse all of their players are staying put. At least not coming to the Sox.

They would ask for Gio 50 times before they would ask for Masset...

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)

Dude...we're talking Rocco Baldelli....not Vernon Wells. He's good...but not giving up the farm good for god's sake.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Dude...we're talking Rocco Baldelli....not Vernon Wells. He's good...but not giving up the farm good for god's sake.

Therein lies the dilemma. The D-Rays don't HAVE to trade him, no other team HAS to give up the farm to get him, because he's not a superstar level of player...not even Carl Crawford. So they sit on a depreciating asset and the rest of baseball waits for the price to come down to a more reasonable level.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)

But...because he's still quite cheap, the D-Rays have very little motivation to trade him until they find someone willing to give up the farm. They can run with an OF of Baldelli, Crawford, and one of their other young OF's until someone is willing to meet their price...and their price is similar to what they got in the Kazmir deal. They've done exactly the same thing for years now. They'd rather hold onto people and wait for the right deal than make a deal too early. It cost them with Huff, but it's also helping keep their expenses low.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
Baldelli is a good player, but his price is too high. Want a bigger injury risk than Scott Podsednik? Rocco is your man.

I am again amazed at the willingness of our fans to undervalue our own players. Pods is now more more of an injury risk than Thome. They'll both be back soon enough to help win a championship. No need to panic

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 06:41 PM)
I am again amazed at the willingness of our fans to undervalue our own players. Pods is now more more of an injury risk than Thome. They'll both be back soon enough to help win a championship. No need to panic

You don't consider Pods to be an injury risk now?