trade for an outfielder

Bubba Philips

QUOTE(Wanne @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Dude...we're talking Rocco Baldelli....not Vernon Wells. He's good...but not giving up the farm good for god's sake.

I'm just guessing what the Rays would want based on what they've reportedly asked for in the past, and what the Sox have to deal. I'm not saying that it would be a good trade for the Sox. As others have noted, the Rays have all leverage -- they don't have to make a trade. And they'll want players that are cheap and under control for several years.

The thing is, the Rays really need bullpen help and the Sox have young relievers. It might be a good match. I'd rather get Upton than Baldelli, but he'sprobably playing too well right now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
I am again amazed at the willingness of our fans to undervalue our own players. Pods is now more more of an injury risk than Thome. They'll both be back soon enough to help win a championship. No need to panic

Do you have any sort of evidence to back up any of these posts or are you going with some crazy gut feeling? Gut feelings are not facts, remember that when you're passing them off as such.

I love the logic though, an abductor strain will not slow down a speed player and an abdominal strain will not weaken a power hitter with an incredibly violent swing because, well because what? You haven't even given a reason outside of the fans being pessimists and you're some sort of self appointed voice of reason.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
I love the logic though, an abductor strain will not slow down a speed player and an abdominal strain will not weaken a power hitter with an incredibly violent swing because, well because what? You haven't even given a reason outside of the fans being pessimists and you're some sort of self appointed voice of reason.

Does he really need to state the reason why? They are on the DL getting treated and rested. Injuries do occasionally heal.

Edited by tealeafreaderii

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
Does he really need to state the reason why? They are on the DL getting treated and rested. Injuries do occasionally heal.

when have Podsednik's injuries fully healed? They've healed to the point where he can play, but he hasn't been able to steal bases well since he went down with a hamstring in 2005.

Injuries do heal, but when the injury is likely a direct result from the player's tendencies in how they play, and they effect major muscle groups that the player will need to use the entire year, it gets scary as hell. A strained rib cage for Thome could linger all year and leave him with 25-30 homer power and a groin could limit Podsednik's speed and ability to swing the bat for the entire year. Or maybe they heal perfectly and both perform at 100% the rest of the year. I know which scenario I find more likely, but I don't know anything yet and I'm not sure anyone on here does.

Would anyone consider Corey Patterson a decent option?

MLBTradeRumors.com had this to say:

The Orioles may make an offer to Alex Rodriguez, should he opt out of his contract at year's end. It's admittedly a longshot, though the O's did win the bidding for Miguel Tejada back in December of '03. If not A-Rod, then the Orioles will chase a "premium center fielder." Translation: Ichiro, Andruw, or Torii. Seems unlikely that Corey Patterson, a Scott Boras client, returns to Baltimore in 2008.

I know douche bag is his agent, but if would could get him for cheap I wouldn't mind a one-year rental.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:51 PM)
Would anyone consider Corey Patterson a decent option?

MLBTradeRumors.com had this to say:

I know douche bag is his agent, but if would could get him for cheap I wouldn't mind a one-year rental.

It's probably not enough of an upgrade, really, unless it comes at the cost of like Phillips. I like Patterson more than Erstad, and he's a much more athletic player, but in the end, he's about the same offensive player - more power and speed, but a less disciplined hitter. He is GG defensively, and I don't feel like I'm reaching saying that at all, but there's just not enough of an upgrade to do it. Add to it that the Orioles really only have Payton for CF if they were to trade him and it just doesn't really add up for both teams.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 1, 2007 -> 02:36 AM)
I don't know much about him so at the risk of sounding silly, let me ask: doesn't he suck? That's what I'd heard.

Yeah, he's pretty much what Jerry Owens is. Maybe he can play some CF. Even if he can, he's at best a fourth OFer.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
You don't consider Pods to be an injury risk now?

What I meant to say is he isn't anymore of an injury risk than Thome right now since both are on the DL. I need to proffreed gudder :D

QUOTE(pale_hose @ May 1, 2007 -> 02:51 AM)
how about Dye and a pitching prospect like Broadway or somebody for Carl Crawford? He is one of the best all around players and is young...

You don't trade Dye for anyone right now. You try and sign the guy

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 08:29 PM)
Do you have any sort of evidence to back up any of these posts or are you going with some crazy gut feeling? Gut feelings are not facts, remember that when you're passing them off as such.

Sorry I made you angry. But, what I see from you is simply a tendancy to devalue our own players based on 20 games and an attempt to convince everyone the sky is falling. It's a frustrating time, but we have lots of time left in the season. I think we have a good team put together and I believe they will come together when healthy. My logic is obviously different than yours. Nuff said friend?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 10:52 PM)
I dont think you trade any of our prospects right now. You either win with this core, or if we are out of it come trade deadline trade it away. Next year be somewhat of a rebuilding season and year after that we contend again.
Some one is right.. KW if he makes a move it won't be for any upper tier player.. I would say a band aid player. Someone that is expendable an older fourth outfielder bats right hits lefties ok.. I don't know how well he fields. My guess,the 34 year old Brady Clark... Edited by forrestg

QUOTE(TheOcho @ May 1, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
Doubt they would trade him now... that kid is good.

If we were willing to give up say Brandon McCarthy for him instead of trading him for Danks and Masset, then that would have certainly been a possibility.

Toronto's always after starting pitching you have to remember, maybe even a Contreras or Garland would have gotten a deal done possibly?

QUOTE(forrestg @ Apr 30, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
Some one is right.. KW if he makes a move it won't be for any upper tier player.. I would say a band aid player. Someone that is expendable an older fourth outfielder bats right hits lefties ok.. I don't know how well he fields. My guess,the 34 year old Brady Clark...

Brady Clark already got traded and has a role on the Dodgers. He would have been too perfect for the White Sox, the exact same thing as Eduardo Perez.

I still think a guy the Sox need to look out for is Chone Figgins. The Angels seem like they may very well have enough depth to trade for him (with 3B, 2B, LF, and CF all covered), and I could see them taking a flier on a guy like Anderson, even with quite a few in the outfield right now. It would take more than Anderson to get him, but I believe a deal is reachable. Perhaps someone like Broadway or Logan along with Anderson may be enough (though that seems like a really mediocre deal at best for the Angels...not sure what they really need right now). However, that may be more of an offseason move than it is a midseason move, because it is really hard for the teams to match up right at the moment.

There have been quite a few other good suggestions too in Emil Brown and Jacque Jones. However, one other name I'd be curious about is Kevin Mench. He seems to be getting quite a bit of playing time in Milwaukee right now, but I know going into the season he was pissed as hell about being put into a platoon role. If he still were - and it really doesn't look like it at all - he'd be interesting, but I'd really question his availability at the moment.

For some reason they wanted to send Chone all the way down to A ball on assignment after injury. That later got changed and he was sent to AAA like a normal person instead. (According to yahoo sports.)

Why the crap would they want to send him all the way down to A ball?

All he did was break some fingers

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6986/news

i doubt the angels trade Figgins. I'd rather have the sox attempt to get Willits, They've got a perfectly acceptable 4th OFer down at AAA in Tommy Murphy, and figgins covers all 3 OF positions too.

QUOTE(max power @ May 1, 2007 -> 01:42 AM)
For some reason they wanted to send Chone all the way down to A ball on assignment after injury. That later got changed and he was sent to AAA like a normal person instead. (According to yahoo sports.)

Why the crap would they want to send him all the way down to A ball?

All he did was break some fingers

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6986/news

Usually it has to do with location, and proximity to the major league ballclub, and playing in a warm weather stadium. It's not a "demotion" or punishment, a number of major league pitchers in rehab this year have been throwing in the Florida State League and the California League. No biggie.

They're not going to send him to the Midwest League, for instance...although it's less of an issue now in May than it was in April.

As for Anderson going to LA, no way. They already have Willits and Murphy, as mentioned.