The Greg Walker Lynch mob thread

CWSOX45

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Can we please just disband the idea of bunting? It is killing our team.

Who is teaching the hitters how to bunt? Because for as long as I can remember, even dating back to 05, this team can't bunt if their life depended on it. The only guy on this team that can bunt is Garland.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Can we please just disband the idea of bunting? It is killing our team.

It's killed our team for the last 2 years now. I'm actually a fan of the bunt but it's beyond worthless with this group.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 03:35 AM)
It's killed our team for the last 2 years now. I'm actually a fan of the bunt but it's beyond worthless with this group.

I hated the bunt idea with Iguchi. He was, and has been, doing a good job of going to right field lately. Iguchi had a 2-0 count against Lidstrom (sp?) who was struggling to find the zone. They then bailed him out by bunting and fouling it off.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
Can you imagine how good Josh would be doing with a real hitting coach, considering what he's doing on his own? Friday, allowed 2 runs in the first 8 and lost, today allowed 1 run in the first 8 and lost. lmao.

I would really like to see Fields go with the pitch. He has been pulling the ball, rather then going with the pitch and hitting it to all areas. I don't think he has a single hit to RF this whole season, and maybe 2 or 3 to centerfield.

Greg Walker, how does he still have a job?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would really like to see Fields go with the pitch. He has been pulling the ball, rather then going with the pitch and hitting it to all areas. I don't think he has a single hit to RF this whole season, and maybe 2 or 3 to centerfield.

Greg Walker, how does he still have a job?

Greg Walker is telling him to pull the ball instead of hitting it to the other field or up the middle? I'm just asking because you are making the assumption that he does, but how do you know?

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
Greg Walker is telling him to pull the ball instead of hitting it to the other field or up the middle? I'm just asking because you are making the assumption that he does, but how do you know?

well, that is what all the hitters do on the big league club it seems...

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, that is what all the hitters do on the big league club it seems...

And this is because Greg Walker is telling them to do this, right? I am trying to get this straight, because I have never ever heard or seen Walker say this. If you listen to his interviews he says the total opposite - up the middle and go the other way - don't worry about HR or power as it will come.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
And this is because Greg Walker is telling them to do this, right? I am trying to get this straight, because I have never ever heard or seen Walker say this. If you listen to his interviews he says the total opposite - up the middle and go the other way - don't worry about HR or power as it will come.

where have you ever heard him say this? I want a source.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I know you were not asking me but he said it today during an interview with the radio host on 670 and also you'll have to trust on this one, but he says it all the time around the batting cages on the practice fields in Tucson.

Other than that I do not have a printed quote handy but maybe the other poster does.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you listen to him on the Score he states this ALL THE TIME. Now if you can tell me where he teaches this lift and pull approach I would love to know. I have not heard it once and I have never seen it in print. The only place I ever see it is on this message board from posters such as yourself and SSI71. I think it is a made believe thing that this message board has taken and run with. It is nonsense. I want a source of this nonsense.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 04:26 PM)
If you listen to him on the Score he states this ALL THE TIME. Now if you can tell me where he teaches this lift and pull approach I would love to know. I have not heard it once and I have never seen it in print. The only place I ever see it is on this message board from posters such as yourself and SSI71. I think it is a made believe thing that this message board has taken and run with. It is nonsense.

This just proves even more than that the needs to go, as he's not getting through to these guys. I guarantee we have the fewest opposite field homers in all of baseball this season.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
You may very well be right. However it all depends how you look at it. Maybe it proves the players are incapable and not very bright.

True, but as you know, it's a lot easier to replace one coach than 9 players, etc.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True, but as you know, it's a lot easier to replace one coach than 9 players, etc.

Agree. However this is well beyond an easy fix. The Shaffer firing is indication they are looking at all facets of how they operate, including scouting, development, instruction, coaching, etc. Not to mention the key element of what kind of team they want to field.

You need a SS with smarts, tools, and ability. Uribe isn't. You need a CF who is preferably a 5 tool guy. Erstad is nothing more than a fill in and Anderson just isn't good, no matter what is said here or on other message boards. These players should be developed in house with the occasional need to acquire in trades or FA. Not by needing to raid the Boston farm system by trading lefthanded starters you can't/won't sign.

It all comes down to needing better players first and foremost. If you can marginally improve by getting a new hitting coach or a new minor league catching instructor (they did this too by the way) or a new 1st base coach, yes, great. But there are way bigger issues and those issues = players.

The more I think about it, Greg Walker was never a good smart hitter as a player. Who thought it was a good idea to make him a hitting coach? Baines would have seem to have been a better hitting coach than Walker. Hell Mark Salas was just as good of a hitter as Walker and he actually understands the psychology of pitchers.