Thats a dont walk him loser

klaus kinski

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply a horrible job of managing by Ozzie in this one. Taking Thornton out against Rabe didn't hurt much until the Sox had to deal with Sisco's s*** in the 10th. The worst move of the night, however, was taking Sisco out. Ozzie apparently hasn't noticed much this year, but Cuddyer's OPS against lefties this year is like .609 and he's hitting .340 against RHP (though that's obviously changing after tonight). Morneau's hitting .224 against them, hasn't walked, and really does nothing against them besides put the ball in the stands. Of course, facing a righty instead didn't change his gameplan.

Just horrible managing; it may or may not have won the game, because in the 9th and 10th they looked terrible at the plate.

Wait, I thought when a team's best hitter goes down you're not supposed to do anything offensively?

What are Morneau and Hunter doing?

Oh, and this game -- next to Chad Durbin's domination -- may be #2 in the number of hanging breaking balls and fat fastballs (in hitters counts) missed. I've never seen Joe Nathan throw as many meatballs as tonight. Bonser was just laying in pitches the first few innings.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Please no more Ozzie apologists. You cannot defend him anymore.

He tries to play the matchups game and wastes a pitcher while the Twins just switch the pinch hitters. It is not rocket science.

He intentionally walked Nick freakin Punto, but allows Morneau to hit with a base open and 2 outs - and Jeff Cirillo on deck. That is inexcusable.

I am praying that someone asks Ozzie why he didn't walk Morneau to get to Cirillo for the more ideal Righty vs. Righty match up.

The terrible managing in this loss bothers me a lot more than Iguchi's performance and the bullpen tonight.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
Getting tired of bad managing

here we go again.

I really wish people would hold PLAYERS accountable for their performance, not the manager accountable for the players performance. I am interested in who you want pitching the 8th?

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
here we go again.

I really wish people would hold PLAYERS accountable for their performance, not the manager accountable for the players performance. I am interested in who you want pitching the 8th?

Bad instructions and pitching assignments are not products of the players

Another wasted outing. I'll say one positive. At least our offense is scoring 4+ runs a game. Just not good managing in the sceme of things. Hopefully our bullpen can bounce back cause it looks like they are comming back down to Earth.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
Getting tired of bad managing

Getting tired of watching the same game in the Metrodome for the last 6 years.

By the way, it struck me again tonight what a piece of garbage that place is. They had a shot toward right-handed hitters, and behind them, the Twins players and coaches were sitting in the "dugout" or whatever they call it. And just to the side of the "dugout" was like some sort of sidecar pen or something, where 2 or 3 coaches or players could stand. Stupid. Just another reason to conclude that funds for blowing up the Metrodome should be included in the federal budget. I intend to write Congress about this. Soon.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:36 AM)
I really can't stand this s***. I think this is god's way of revenge for selling our souls for '05. Oh how I miss that season...

I'll gladly take whatever the ramifications are for the 2005 season.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
here we go again.

You can't burn through 3 relievers in one inning when it is a tie ballgame.

MMac didn't have it tonight, fine, but there was no reason not to let Thornton finish the inning instead of trying to be cute and play the matchup game when all Gardenhire was doing was baiting him with Rabe to bring in Kubel.

Gardenhire made Ozzie look silly for wasting Thornton there. If Thornton stays in, he could have came back out in the 9th to face Morneau who is worse vs LHP, then made the switch to Aardsma or Masset after.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
Gardenhire made Ozzie look silly for wasting Thornton there. If Thornton stays in, he could have came back out in the 9th to face Morneau who is worse vs LHP, then made the switch to Aardsma or Masset after.

The thing that frustrates me the most is that he had two options. Let Boone come in who others might forget is a lefty to pitch to Morneau, or just walk Morneau. If Jeff freaking Cirillo beats us, fine.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:39 PM)
I'll gladly take whatever the ramifications are for the 2005 season.

It does however make games like this that much worse.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
The thing that frustrates me the most is that he had two options. Let Boone come in who others might forget is a lefty to pitch to Morneau, or just walk Morneau. If Jeff freaking Cirillo beats us, fine.

I agree. I would rather pitch to Cirillo with Molina than have anyone face Morneau in that situation.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:44 AM)
It does however make games like this that much worse.

It makes it 100 times easier to take. Last year's 2nd half would have been completely miserable if we hadn't won it the year before.

yea i dont what just happened, i honestly have no comment

i dont know why u just dont walk morneau. i mean, with the first swing he took, u just knew he was going to hit a homer, it just had that feel. were up 4-1, and lose 7-4. thats outstanding. i know this was the pitchings fault, but again, only 4 runs. jesus.

if ozzie wasnt going to walk him, why not bring in jenks. masset vs morneau? morneau will win that battle every time. what was he savin bobby for? rest? we just had a day off yesterday! i dont know, something has to happen. in the inning we scored 4 runs, it could of been 6-1 after that, but of course konerko and dye have to get their pop outs. thats getting old too. i almost cant watch this anymore...

yes, as someone said, i would love to throw a memorial brick at ozzie

the "who wants ozzies head" thread should be changed to "who wants to throw a memorial brick at ozzies skull"

QUOTE(fathom @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:46 PM)
It makes it 100 times easier to take. Last year's 2nd half would have been completely miserable if we hadn't won it the year before.

I was saying it in terms of expectations. I understand that we all can go to sleep knowing we have 2005 in our back pockets forever, so that will never change, but higher expectations bring bigger disappointments with each loss.

The 2nd half of last season was pretty miserable. Just look at some of those threads. Not much has changed since then around here (Ozzie sucks, Pods sucks/always hurt, bullpen failing, bats cold, no backup catcher).

QUOTE(RME JICO @ May 9, 2007 -> 03:59 AM)
I was saying it in terms of expectations. I understand that we all can go to sleep knowing we have 2005 in our back pockets forever, so that will never change, but higher expectations bring bigger disappointments with each loss.

The 2nd half of last season was pretty miserable. Just look at some of those threads. Not much has changed since then around here (Ozzie sucks, Pods sucks/always hurt, bullpen failing, bats cold, no backup catcher).

True, but could you have imagined how bad it would have been if we made the playoffs in 2005 and didn't win it all. Then, we follow that up with the Thome/Vazquez acquisitions, and we hit the wall like we did in 2006? That would have been awful.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
Bad instructions and pitching assignments are not products of the players

As a pitcher it's your job to get outs. thats baseball my friend. I dont want to hear about righty or lefty matchups. The bullpen didnt get it done, plain and simple. They had a 3 run f***ing lead and couldnt hold it.

QUOTE(briguy27 @ May 8, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
yea i dont what just happened, i honestly have no comment

i dont know why u just dont walk morneau. i mean, with the first swing he took, u just knew he was going to hit a homer, it just had that feel. were up 4-1, and lose 7-4. thats outstanding. i know this was the pitchings fault, but again, only 4 runs. jesus.

if ozzie wasnt going to walk him, why not bring in jenks. masset vs morneau? morneau will win that battle every time. what was he savin bobby for? rest? we just had a day off yesterday! i dont know, something has to happen. in the inning we scored 4 runs, it could of been 6-1 after that, but of course konerko and dye have to get their pop outs. thats getting old too. i almost cant watch this anymore...

yes, as someone said, i would love to throw a memorial brick at ozzie

the "who wants ozzies head" thread should be changed to "who wants to throw a memorial brick at ozzies skull"

In Bobbys last two outings he has put runners on to start the inning. not a good idea.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ May 9, 2007 -> 04:03 AM)
As a pitcher it's your job to get outs. thats baseball my friend. I dont want to hear about righty or lefty matchups. The bullpen didnt get it done, plain and simple. They had a 3 run f***ing lead and couldnt hold it.

In Bobbys last two outings he has put runners on to start the inning. not a good idea.

Why didn't he have Dye playing deep to prevent Bartlett from getting an extra base hit? Pretty textbook managing there.