Senators Reach Immigration Bill Compromise

Texsox

Sen. Jeff Sessions released a list of 20 of the biggest loopholes in the bill, including this one, which is just baffling:

* Loophole 8 – Gang Members Are Eligible:

Instead of ensuring that members of violent gangs such as MS 13 are deported after coming out of the shadows to apply for amnesty, the bill will allow violent gang members to get amnesty as long as they “renounce” their gang membership on their application. [see p. 289: 34-36].

Yeah!!! That will work

:bang

--Link to article

Edited by juddling

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NUKE @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
Any bill that has any path for these people to become citizens is a bad bill. The last thing this country needs is 12 million more sponges leeching off the system. I would rather spend the money to round these people up and deport them than to hand them welfare and all these other benefits for the remainder of their lives.

The only immigration bill I would support is one that beefs up enforcement and that's it. If Big Business wants their mexican labor so badly then let THEM foot the bill for all these benefits. Why should the American taxpayer subsidize cheap labor for the corporations?

I agree.

QUOTE(juddling @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
* Loophole 8 – Gang Members Are Eligible:

wow, thats is really over the top stupid. wonder which party insisted that be in there?

Pretty interesting stuff there.

In 2006 Half of the illegals that snuck in here came via overstaying on legal work or school visas.

The 700 mile fence Bush wants to build is not continuous over the 2000 mile border.

The wall in San Diego was built by illegal immigrants costing the construction company $5 million in fines. I wonder why they didn't get a Union to do it.

Edited by santo=dorf

OK, Bush is offically a f***tard on this issue. NOW, after the bill got killed the first time, NOW, he's "SERIOUS" about securing the border. Hey stupid ass! You can do that WITHOUT giving amnesty and bloating the government rolls by tenfold! Man, this issue really pisses me off. ENFORCE THE EXISTING LAWS. It's pretty much THAT simple.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 06:27 PM)
It's pretty much THAT simple.

Sadly, no it isn't, because that's still 12 million people to arrest and 12 million jobs to fill and a movement of 12-20 million people. That adds up to having to displace more people than there were displaced people due to war in the entire world in all of 2006 according to theUN HC on Refugees.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
OK, Bush is offically a f***tard on this issue. NOW, after the bill got killed the first time, NOW, he's "SERIOUS" about securing the border. Hey stupid ass! You can do that WITHOUT giving amnesty and bloating the government rolls by tenfold! Man, this issue really pisses me off. ENFORCE THE EXISTING LAWS. It's pretty much THAT simple.

Oh no, we cant do THAT! The corporations have to have their cheap labor.

I saw that woman who's holed up in that church here in Chicago on TV today demanding that Lou Dobbs lose his job at CNN because he's against Illegal immigration.

Excuse me b**** but who the f*** do you think you are anyway? f***ing c*** shows up illegally in this country and then she has the balls to make demands. f*** YOU!!! Id like to see her shipped to Mexico on a freight train along with all the other criminals like her. And these do goody priests who shelter them should be thrown in prison for aiding and abetting them.

I'd agree that it would be nearly impossible to find and deport all illegal immigrants, but we do need to enforce the law. The best way to find the illegals is to search the employers records. The way to keep them from coming here is to not hire them. No jobs, no reason to come here. Large corporations such as Wal-Mart need to pay heavy fines straight out of their pocketbook if they are found to have hired illegals. Other employers too. About the point of "If the illegals are deported, then who will do their job?" I have an idea. If people are on welfare then they are unemployed, right? Why can't these people do the jobs that the illegal immigrants are doing? The people on welfare need to get up off their lazy ass and get a job. How about the money used for welfare is instead used for vocational training/education for the people who are on welfare now. Use those funds to help these people get their GED, and become productive members of the workforce.

Edited by southsida86

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
I get the feeling this immigration bill is payback to the corporations for the new minimum wage increase...

I think that's part of it, but wait a second! Most of these illegals don't work for corporations, because that would suggest that corporations only have jobs that americans don't want.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 07:16 AM)
I think that's part of it, but wait a second! Most of these illegals don't work for corporations, because that would suggest that corporations only have jobs that americans don't want.

Funny, I keep seeing raids in big old factories and not in orange groves. But I am sure that no one wants factory jobs in this country, right? Its not like the manufacturing sector has just been demolished and sent overseas and to Mexico or anything.

All this is, is a way for corporations to crush their wage structure by finding people who will work for low wages and no benefits. When Wal-Mart does it, they are an evil corporation. When Congress does it, they are somehow nobel? Please.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 01:23 PM)
Funny, I keep seeing raids in big old factories and not in orange groves. But I am sure that no one wants factory jobs in this country, right? Its not like the manufacturing sector has just been demolished and sent overseas and to Mexico or anything.

All this is, is a way for corporations to crush their wage structure by finding people who will work for low wages and no benefits. When Wal-Mart does it, they are an evil corporation. When Congress does it, they are somehow nobel? Please.

DING! That's exactly what I was hinting at.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
I'd agree that it would be nearly impossible to find and deport all illegal immigrants, but we do need to enforce the law. The best way to find the illegals is to search the employers records. The way to keep them from coming here is to not hire them. No jobs, no reason to come here. Large corporations such as Wal-Mart need to pay heavy fines straight out of their pocketbook if they are found to have hired illegals. Other employers too. About the point of "If the illegals are deported, then who will do their job?" I have an idea. If people are on welfare then they are unemployed, right? Why can't these people do the jobs that the illegal immigrants are doing? The people on welfare need to get up off their lazy ass and get a job. How about the money used for welfare is instead used for vocational training/education for the people who are on welfare now. Use those funds to help these people get their GED, and become productive members of the workforce.

You make a good point on the employment side, which has been brought up here before.

Any immigration bill that would actually be worth anything would need to, at a minimum:

--Hit employers HARD for hiring illegals

--Change our immigration rules and laws to adapt to current economic situations - if there are jobs here we need filled, then that should dictate immigration levels.

--Give no amnesty or do anything else to reward illegal actions (by aliens OR employers)

Ideally, it should also:

--Use technology and smart policy to enforce current laws, instead of building an expensive, useless, environmentally disastrous wall

--Allow for deportation when illegals are encountered, but not require mass deportations or witch hunts

My favorite interview from a supporter of this bill is Trent Lott who said something like, the federal government just can't enforce companies to this law. It just won't work.

Now I'm pretty sure that it's gonna be close to impossible to round up and deport 12 million people. But I'm also pretty sure that if we want the flow of illegal labor to stop, we have to stop letting employers knowingly flout the law and hire illegal labor.